Friday, April 2, 2010

Russian Nesting Dolls

One of my husband's co-workers is Russian. Recently he brought this little set of matryoshkas to Jay and told him to give them to the girl.

Needless to say, they never made it that far. The second I saw them I thought, Screw that. These are totally mine. Actually, I never thought that. I spoke it. Loudly.

I'm pretty sure these are hand-crafted, at the very least they are definitely hand-painted. I'm still trying to figure out what the story is behind them. The little pink one is obviously a baby, and I'm thinking the next bigger two are grandparents. Or maybe just random old people? But why they are all stacked into a bear holding a honey pot, I do not know. But they're super cute and they will be prominently displayed somewhere in our new home.

Lest you think I'm a totally selfish, thieving mother, rest assured the girl will get these at some point. Just not right now. Right now, she's only allowed to look at them longingly.

17 comments:

Mari said...

Very cute, I don't blame you! Can't believe you only have 3 weeks left in Florida, so excited for you guys!

kraftykash said...

Shaking my butt right now for the fact that it is almost time to move. WooHoo! Those nesting dolls are adorable. Dont tell the girl and she will NEVER know. LOL

Anything Fits a Naked Man said...

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, Thieving Mama, but I would've done the SAME thing!! These are amazing!!

Theresa said...

I don't blame you, I would totally keep them, I mean display them too. LOL At least until the girl was old enough to appreciate them.

Hrm.. maybe the bear ate them all? Like Goldilocks gone terribly wrong? Kinda morbid....

Dani said...

Don't blame you one tiny bit. My girl would never see them either.

I'm on the hunt for some cool nesting dolls. I have been since The Girl arrived. When she was born, the first thing I said was, "oh...she looks like a little Russian nesting doll" because her face was all swollen with this perfect tiny mouth.

Yours are a score.

hester said...

Beautiful Russian dolls! We love them too and the girls have a set each from their Nana. They love to play with them but I worry about the little ones getting lost forever. I'm saving that Russian Doll fabric you sent for something special!

michelle said...

a woman after my own heart! surely that is one of the benefits of being a mum! :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh yea I would have kept them in a NY minute. They are beautiful Tammie. Maybe instead of Grandparents those are the parents. Any woman in a babushka looks older...tee hee

melissa s. said...

those are definitely covet-worthy!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Yeah, those would have stayed in hot little hands, too.

Daphne said...

I have a set of those that I actually bought in Russia. I have no idea where those are.... but these are adorable! Keep! Keep!

mandy said...

oh i love these, what a family treasure! she'll thank you later that you are keeping them for her now. i'm kicking myself because I actually had some of these growing up and i don't know where they are now (not a set with a bear...but still)

Not Hannah said...

I...am a dork. Thanks for giving me something to do tonight while Will ranked his fantasy baseball team. http://russian-crafts.com/tales/masha.html

Those are GORGEOUS.

Tammie said...

ooh thank you!

i was so excited to read this. i'll probably share it in the next post.

thanks!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

A mom's gotta do, what a mom's gotta do. I hear you. Someday, little girl.

Lia said...

Those are adorable. I have a set of nesting dolls somewhere from when I was a little kid. Maybe at my mom's house? I need to ask her. Great score!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Tres cute. Now you make me want to have some.