Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Random Thoughts

Hello there!

We finally got internet on Monday but things have just now settled down to the point where I can blog. Today the boy is in school, Jay is at work, so it's back to being just me and the girl at home. I'm excited to get our family back on a routine. I have so much I want to say but don't even know where to begin. So I figured I'd take the easy route and just spew some randomness.

*There is so much to do here. I can't imagine ever getting bored. Last Saturday we went to the Renaissance Faire, although we didn't stay long because it was 51 degrees and rainy and we, being silly Floridians, were wearing short sleeves and/or shorts. I did manage to get a few pictures though.
The boy ran off and quickly bought a wooden sword. We left before he could talk us into purchasing a cloak. Obviously, this type of event is right up his alley.
Here the girl had just bought a crown of ribbons and flowers and had been sprinkled with pixie dust by her Fairy Godmother:I don't know why she's making such a goofy face, but she's holding her hands like that because she didn't want her pixie dust (glitter) to fall off before her wish came true. No word on if her wish came true or not. I avoided the subject since I'm sure it would involve me spending money.

We also spent time at The Children's Museum and I still want to hit the Zoo, the Aquarium, and the Portland Saturday Market.

*My apartment is small, we've downsized a lot. But the location is excellent. The kids schools are nearby and I could walk to Starbucks. Also, there is a Crate and Barrel and an Anthropology less than five minutes from my front door. Not that I shop at those stores too often, but it's nice knowing they are there.

*Speaking of shopping, the thrifting around here is wonderful. I've already picked up quite a few fun purchases and hope to share them with you soon.

*Our stuff still hasn't arrived but will be here tomorrow. Words cannot express how much I want my junk to get here. We've been sleeping on air mattresses and eating off of plastic ware. We don't have a single chair in the apartment. Never before have I wanted to sit in a chair so badly. It's the simple things.

*Last Sunday, the night before our cable was hooked up, we watched the worst movie ever. It starred Winona Ryder, whom I normally love, as Lois Wilson, the wife of the man who started Alcoholics Anonymous. This schlocky movie was a giant piece of crap and Winona should be very embarrassed. Also, if any of you watched it, you should be ashamed as well. I only had one channel, I had an excuse.

*After not having picked up a book for about two weeks, I'm finally reading again. Jay spotted Good in Bed at Target and remembered it being on my list. He also picked up The Kite Runner at Goodwill, but I'm not anxious to read that one just yet because I have no desire to be emotionally distraught at the moment. Have any of you read it? Thoughts?

*A few months back I read that Daniel Baldwin had moved to the Portland area. I'm hoping Alec comes to visit his brother and I have a sighting. Needless to say, I never leave the house without full makeup.

*I've started the process of reading all the blog posts I've missed. It's been nice catching up with everyone. I've missed you all so much!

*Finally, I wanted to share a song with you. We heard this song a lot during the five day trip here. We'd sing along loudly and then usually replay it once or twice. It became sort of the theme song for our move. It's "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes:

28 comments:

Dawn said...

Love Love Love Edward Sharpe!! How fitting!
Wasnt that movie awful? Poor Winona!

Tammie said...

it was HORRIBLE. although, i did like the costumes. that was probably the best part.

melissa s. said...

so glad you're settling in and so sorry we missed you at the fair. I looked around for you but quickly realized I was looking for someone that i've only seen a 1/2 inch picture of.

anyway if you guys are up for it, we'd love to have you over for grilled pizza and wooden sword fighting sometime!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

YIPEE you're HOME.

It all sounds like fun. I am glad you are finding your way.

We've missed you!

Tammie said...

melissa: i know! i did the same thing. then i started looking for your kids, because i thought i could probably recognize them, but then the place started to fill up and there were kids everyway and everyone started to look alike.

and we'll totally take you up on the offer....just let me know when. :)

peggy: thank you. ive missed you too!

Daphne said...

Quickly (want to write more but no time right now) I loved Good In Bed (perfect post-move book for tired brains) and I adored Kite Runner but I cried (SOBBED) for most of the last half of the book. It's *very* good but so. freaking. sad.

loved this post! more later!

Anonymous said...

I love how you just say the film was "the worst movie ever," but give no reasons as to why you thought so... Though, I really can't imagine what you were expecting from a television film budget, you may be surprised to know that the film actually got very good reviews from many top critics as did Winona Ryder and Barry Pepper for their performances! While I thought the script was slightly lacking and at times some of the dialogue was a bit on the corny side, I think all around it was a very well told story and brilliantly acted! I say good for Winona...I’m glad she did this film! I can really see her getting a Golden Globe or Emmy nomination for her performance!

Tammie said...

anon: glad someone enjoyed it. :)

kraftykash said...

So glad you all are settling in. Your kids look so happy. :) My blog comment section hasnt been the same without you girl :)

Theresa said...

I'm so glad you guys are settling in to your new home! Jealous you went to Renn Fair. I want to go to one SO BADLY!!! But they just don't have them around here. Yay for being home!

CT said...

Glad you are falling into your rythm! Looks like you had great fun at the fair (it would be just the thing for me!). I hope your stuff gets home soon!

Dani said...

Welcome back! You were missed...

I sense the happiness in your "voice". That's awesome. Because it would suck to move across the country and end up thinking it was lame.

Can't wait to hear more about your new life. Woot!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hmmm. I have that Lois Wilson movie on my DVR. It sounds like there's a lot of agreement here, so maybe the little red delete button is the way to go. Or maybe I'll give it my usual 15 minutes, just in case anon. is right.

I love how your profile says you "escaped" Florida. We did the same, in 1998 after 11 years in Boca Raton. Landed in Colorado and love it.

Tammie said...

patricia: eeks! eleven years in boca. you deserve a medal. i lived there for about a year and thats all i could take. glad you've found your spot now though. :)

as for the movie: the writing was shoddy and the story was pretty predictable. most of the movie was just bill wilson getting drunk and promising to stop, and lois putting up with it.

Alisha said...

oh yay! so glad that love it so far. i bet it's going to be perfect for you. i hope your son is adjusting well to school. and even if you don't shop at anthro or c&b very often, it'll be fun to go and window shop. i could spend all day in either store! continued luck as you begin to settle in even more!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love the pictures!
I loved Kite Runner. It's an amazing book. You should definitely read it! Did you read A Thousand Splendid Suns?

hester said...

Dani is right - you sound so happy! It's great the big move has gone so well - and you and Jay should take the credit. (And I love husbands who buy books for the girl they love).

The Kite Runner is a great book but pretty heartbreaking.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Welcome Home! I'm glad you're settling in to your new life. Let me know your address so I can pop that yarn in the mail to you.

beki said...

Wow, you can hear the joy and contentment in your words - so happy to hear it!

Lia said...

So good to know that you're settling in and enjoying your new home. I, for one, love it when you spew randomness.

It's great fun to live somewhere with lots of stuff to do. Austin is like that, too. I think going to all those festivals and museums and stuff makes for a very memorable childhood. Have fun getting to know your new city!

And what's with your bitchy anonymous commenters?

Jess at The R/evolution of J said...

T,
You have learned rule #1 of The Pacific Northwest Survival Guide:
ALWAYS have a sweater. Even if it is 85 degrees when you leave. Always have a sweater or hoodie or jacket.
;-)

Glad you're getting acquainted!

Lia said...

And I lLOVE that song! Never had heard it or of that band before, but I love it. Thanks for sharing!

Bridge said...

just wandered over your way and so happy to hear of your move! so cool!
this is amazing! what are you all doing?

Hotch Potchery said...

I just read Good in Bed, and am reading the sequel now...if you want it I will mail it to you when I am done!

Hotch Potchery said...

oh and I think Winona Ryder is ANON

victoria said...

Funny post! Your mood seems spirited and happy! It's hard to believe you are now living in Portland. You did it!!!! You moved across the country and I pushed a baby out of my vadge ... time flies ... and now more than ever, I'm convinced women can do anything! :-)))

michelle said...

I haven't read The Kite Runner. However I have read Hosseini's second novel - A Thousand Splendid Suns. And yes, I was emotionally scarred by it! I cried and cried (probably because I was about 8 months pregnant at the time!) All the same, I'd recommend it to anyone. Someone has given me a copy of the Kite Runner... but I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to read it just yet. I'm sure I will, as a number of people whose opinions I value have said it is worth reading. I met an Afghan man who told me if I found 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' an emotional rollercoaster then maybe I should just see the movie!!

Layrayski said...

wow tammie, there have been so many changes for the past five months (?) this particular blog has me chuckling. gosh. i forgot how much i enjoy your blogs. :)