Friday, April 23, 2010

Oregon

We made it!

We got here Tuesday (I think--at this point all of my days have run together and my brain is a mess). We lived in a hotel for three days and are now in our apartment about 15 minutes from the city. All our stuff though, is not here, and won't be until late next week. We do have a TV that comes with the apartment, (because, you know, I didn't have enough TV's of my own). But no cable or internet until Comcast can get out here....also, late next week. Right now, I'm hijacking my neighbors internet connection and it's somewhat sketchy and tends to disconnect at random times.

I don't believe in hell, but if I did, I would have to say that my personal hell would include having to spend eternity in an empty apartment with two children and no TV or cable. Fortunately, we've had a lot of running around to do and errands to run, so there hasn't been too much downtime in the empty apartment. But I think by mid next week, it's going to get ugly.

So far, we are all loving Oregon. Even the boy, who was on the fence about the whole move. He's already made some friends in the neighborhood but was most excited by a trip to Voodoo Doughnuts.

Of course, there have been times when I've been completely overwhelmed by this place and I've yet to drive anywhere by myself except Target. Having lived in Florida my whole life, I could almost always find my way around. It's a strange feeling to sometimes literally not have any clue where I am.

Anyway, tomorrow the family and I plan to go to a Renaissance Faire that Melissa suggested and I'm excited to see more of this area. We have a few more days before Jay heads back to work so we're taking advantage of it and trying to stay busy exploring. Plus, you know, no reason to go home if you don't have internet, TV, or your stuff. Jay keeps trying to sweet talk the people at PODS in hopes of getting our stuff here sooner, but sometimes there is just nothing you can do. Tonight, we play board games.

Okay, I'm down to one bar of connectivity so I should probably hit publish before I'm disconnected. Hopefully I'll be back here sooner rather than later.

23 comments:

Alisha said...

Yay!!! So excited for you. I'm glad that you made it. The empty apartment part sucks. But I really think this is going to be awesome for you. Sounds like the kids will adjust just fine. XOXO

Dani said...

So glad that you are safe and sound. Can't wait to hear more.

You have been missed.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Congrats! I truly hope this move is everything you hope it will be.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Wow! Hooray! Can't wait to hear more. You're home and that's wonderful. Wishing you all the best in your transition. Before you know it your neighborhood will be familiar, it will be home. So excited for you!

Daphne said...

Yay!! Although what a DRAG about the empty apartment. At some point, that sort of moving hell becomes a living nightmare, where you're like, Is this ever going to END? Ugh. Have fun at the Ren Faire and go explore stuff! Glad you're having a good time so far... hopefully you're near a WinCo. Where's your new place?

Jess at R/evolution of J said...

Glad you're on the west side safe and sound! Gotta love the mountains.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I'm glad you made it. I don't know how you did (I just spent some quality car time with my brood while on vacation -- Yikes, you deserve a medal for going such a distance). Welcome home!

melissa s. said...

Yay! Glad you made it! I ordered some lovely spring weather for you but looks like it won't be here until tomorrow. You take what you can get around here, weatherwise ;-)

See you at the renn fair!!!

Carla said...

I'm happy to hear that all has been successful thus far! Good luck as you continue getting settled.

Mari said...

Glad you arrived safely. I am so excited for you guys, what an adventure! Go to the Japanese tea garden and walk around, check out the zoo when you get a chance! Don't forget to get an iced coffee at Elephants, if it's still there.
Head to Cannon Beach and take that iconic family pic by Haystack Rock! : )

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

YIPEE. Glad you got there safe and sound. Drop me an email with last name and address so this stuff can get there before you don't need it anymore!!!

So happy you are "HOME"

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Glad you arrived safely! I'm so excited for all of you and I want to go to Voodoo Doughnuts. Can't wait to hear more and I hope all your stuff, cable and internet arrive on schedule.

Lia said...

Awesome! Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures in getting settled!

Theresa said...

Oh WOW! Congrats on making it, and I'm so jealous that you went to Voodoo donuts! I saw them on Food network! So cool!

Jess at R/evolution of J said...

I was just thinking about it and I can't believe that you just planned, up and moved to Oregon. You frock! (Fcuking+Rock).

hester said...

You're amazingly brave and capable! I hope your stuff and internet connection arrive soon so life can be a bit more "normal". Meantime, hope you enjoy the adventure (and board games).

victoria said...

Welcome home :-)

I'm so glad everyone likes it and that you found your temp living arrangements. Enjoy exploring. Looking forward to hearing more.

Hotch Potchery said...

So exciting! We have made a few huge moves, and really always love getting to know our new town.

Furniture movers said...

You sound like you had a lot of fun already. Good for you. God bless.

kraftykash said...

This is all great news! Cant wait til you are completely settled in. BTW you need to update your profile. You got out of Florida!!! WooHoo

Ducky said...

so glad to hear you made it safely. the whole no tv/internet/stuff thing REALLY blows though. i can feel your pain...me, in all my brilliance, moved back to texas the weekend that hurrican ike hit so i would without tv/internet/stuff/electricity/hot water for like a week and a half. that is definitely an experience i do not want to repeat

michelle said...

Congratulations! I admire you. So many times I have dreamt of packing and moving elsewhere... I've never been brave enpugh to act on it though...

Crystal said...

Yay! You made it. I have been thinking of you guys. :)