Friday, April 30, 2010

Greetings and Some Advice

Just peeking out...... From under the squalor.....
To say "Hello" and to make you all feel better about the state of your own homes.

So, obviously our stuff arrived mostly in tact. Now comes the hard part...finding a place for it all.

If I could give only one piece of advice to anyone thinking of making a big move, it would be this: If you don't absolutely love something, DON'T MOVE IT! Why did I move a giant box of used Tupperware 3000 miles? It's not even real Tupperware, it's the cheap junk. And it's ugly. And I threw most of it away as soon as it was off the POD because I eventually want to replace it all with glassware anyway. I threw a lot of junk away before we left Florida, but I've trashed even more stuff since being here.

Oh, and one more thing.....You may notice in a couple of pictures there appears to be mountainous piles of laundry. When we were packing up I had the brilliant idea to wrap everything in fabric, blankets, towels, etc... thus eliminating the need for messy newspapers. What I didn't anticipate was that once we got here, I would have to wash all of those things before putting them away. I now have approximately 75 loads of laundry to do. If I didn't have a washer and dryer in my apartment, I would be near tears at the moment.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though. Our bedroom is mostly in order, and I've found spots for a lot of the kid's items. Of course, there's still stuff in the POD so my optimism may vanish soon.

16 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Unpacking to me is worse than packing. Don't you wish you could just wiggle your nose and it all be done for you?

Each move it has helped me purge more. This is the longest I have been in one place so I may need to move so I can get all that purging done!

Happy Organizing!

Maria Rose said...

Good luck. I have moved twice in less than a year and I feel your pain!

kraftykash said...

When and if we EVER move from the place we are in....it will be a nightmare. Hang in there. Try to focus on one thing at a time. Remember you are not in Florida....YAY! :)

Aleta said...

*shivers* I don't like to pack and unpack - cannot stand it! I'm someone who will find a place and plant roots, that's how much I don't like to move. Lol. I feel for you, I really do! Also - totally agree - don't pack it unless you really want to keep it!

Jess at The R/evolution of J said...

Wrapping in fabric was a great idea. We moved all our clothes in duvet covers!!! Lol.

I'm glad you have your stuff safe and sound now. I hope you find some fun, joy and empowerment in ditching the stuff you don't need. Makes everything you do have more important.

Peace and tidiness,
J

Ps. THANK GOD(DESS) FOR IN HOUSE LAUNDRY!

Dani said...

I do not envy you in any way, shape, or form.

If I had a house elf I would send him your way.

Tammie said...

i totally need an elf or faerie or even a witch.

at this point im just throwing things in the direction of where i think they'll ultimately end up.

my place is totally a fire hazard at the moment.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I am not envying your plight right now....Once you're settled, life will be better I'm sure. Look at it this way -- it's a completely clean slate.

Lia said...

Oh, but that's very exciting to have your stuff. I bet your kids are happier now. I don't mind unpacking. I always liked the setting up house part. It felt like playing to me. But packing, I HATE. With a fiery passion.

Theresa said...

Yet another reason for us NOT to move. I just can't imagine.

michelle said...

Thankyou Tamie for making me feel better - we cleaned our carpets earlier in the week and it has taken ages for them to dry. This morning I am busy moving all the furniture from the deck back into the loungeroom. But not nearly as agonising as setting up a whole house! Take a deep breath, put on some music and eat takeaway (Australian for takeout!) for lunch. i can't wait to see how it al looks with everything in its place :)

Daphne said...

Heh, great pictures, great post. It's amazing how much you can get rid of, and then you discover even MORE to get rid of!! Thank goodness you have a washer/dryer in your place

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Whenever I move I throw out so much before the truck arrives and then throw out even more at my destination. But I bet it's great to have your own stuff now!

tammiemarie said...

we moved three years ago - and I swear, I am still unpacking! glad you and your things made it safely!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Good to know. I should start purging now so that if we're ever ready to move I will be one step ahead. I hate unpacking. It is the worst. Especially as the one thing you need suddenly is who knows where? Oh yeah, the box you didn't look in, at the bottom of course.

Happy organizing, nesting, settling in! Sounds like you found a winner of an apartment! Unpacking may require daily Starbucks.

hester said...

The apartment looks great and you'll have it shipshape in no time. I wrapped everything in my linen for our last move too and I still find unpacked boxes with favourite teatowels wrapped around vases etc.