Thursday, April 8, 2010

Green Smoothie Love

Last week Heather challenged her readers to join her in drinking homemade green smoothies. It was a friendly, low pressure challenge.

I've had store bought green smoothies before. And while they taste fine, I always feel better when I can make something at home myself. Plus, they are a bit too expensive for everyday consumption.

So, into the blender went strawberries, an apple, a banana, some kale, and enough water to liquify it all. Then the blender whirrs. About five minutes later I have my new favorite breakfast.

I was definitely surprised by the green smoothie. I expected a salad-y taste, but it's similar to other smoothies, just less sweet, and maybe more clean tasting. Jay is now a convert too, admitting that yesterday he was about to make himself a big breakfast but then thought Eh, I'll just wait for the green smoothie.

I'm having a harder time convincing the kids of the many merits of the green smoothie. It's no surprise that the girl won't touch it. The boy tasted it and said it didn't taste a whole lot different from the fruit and yogurt smoothies that I make for him, but he's having a hard time getting past that rich green hue.

Someone once told me that what you eat in the morning sets the tone for what foods you crave throughout the day. I don't really know how true that is (and I can't remember where I got that information, so if it was you and/or your blog, let me know and I'll give credit where it's due), but I do know that when I have a bagel smothered in cream cheese for breakfast, it's probably not going to be a good day for my buns and thighs. So along those lines, I think a green smoothie is a pretty good way to start the day.

17 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

It actually sounds good -- and I've already got my kids eating kale these days. I never would have thought.

Mandy said...

What a good idea to make a smoothie in the blender. I used to have a juicer and used it until it broke, but we do have a blender, I may be giving this a try. Green smoothies are totally yum. It's amazing how good that green stuff tastes isn't it? Cilantro is awesome in green drinks; so amazingly fresh.

Not Hannah said...

I wish I liked greens better. I planted a buttload of spinach this year...I wonder if that will work? (Provided it comes up, of course.) I'm a little squicky about bananas and spinach in the same blend, though.

Daphne said...

We've made this sort of thing before and always LOVE them. Yum. This sounds good (and pretty, pretty picture!).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

While I love green vegetables there is something about this green drink that I wouldn't touch w/a 10ft pole. It looks disgusting. I love fruit and kale but it's the green slime look that gets me. My loss I guess.

Don't you find that if you eat carbs for breakfast you are hungry for more carbs later in the day as well as not being full for long? Before gluten free life that is what happened to me. Don't know if it's a real thing or my own quirk.
So now it's fruit and protein or both....but not in a glass that is green.

I think it's funny that my verification word is disturbia....:-)

Tammie said...

jodi: i really think the biggest stumbling block is the color. it just doesnt look tasty to most folks.

mandy: it is amazing! i really expected a different (worse) taste. and i love cilantro so the addition of it sounds wonderful.

not hannah: i think you could use spinach and the taste wouldnt be all that different from kale.

daphne: thank you. :) i have to admit i had to take quite a few shots and edit like crazy to get a nice one. a green smoothie is not photogenic.

peggy: thats exactly how i feel. if i eat carbs for breakfast, its all i crave throughout the day and im constantly planning my next meal.

your word verification cracked me up.

CT said...

It sounds yummy!!!! :D I might steal the recipe!

Veronica said...

I would have thought the boy would have loved drinking the green smoothie since he was obsessed with all things green a couple years ago!

Maria Rose said...

I am really terrified of green smoothies and I'm vegan. You got guts girl!

Aleta said...

Green... yeah, I'm having a hard time with the color too. I'd consider it, but I'd have to close my eyes. Lol.

Dani said...

I'll have to give this a try. I've never been one for smoothies in the morning because they don't stick with me for too long.

When The Mr. and I were first married he was a big "juicer" but once kids arrived the time/expense seemed to outweigh the benefits.

I'll give this a go...I like the idea of sneaking some more greens into the diet.

Lia said...

I would probably like it and my husband would definitely love it. The kids wouldn't touch it.

How long before you're hungry again?

Tammie said...

lia: it was surprisingly filling. id say about 4 hours.

Theresa said...

I guess I'm a wierdo, because I'm totally not thrown by the color at all. I am wondering how the greens would taste in there though. I really want to try one of these.

{Amy} said...

Hmmmm...I've wondered about this as well, if I can just get past the green I might just give it a try!

R.H. Ducky said...

this looks like something i would enjoy. sadly the blender didn't survive our move though.

no green smoothies...or margaritas at our house for a bit

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

you've convinced me. i don't like eating a whole apple for some reason. it hurts my teeth? anyway. this sounds like a great way to get the apple into my body.
and bananas and strawberries? yum