Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Big Move:: Days Three and Four

This is it people. Today begins the final part of our journey. We're in a hotel in Boise, Idaho-just a few hours from Portland. I don't have a lot of time this morning but I did want to share a few random thoughts I've had thus far.

*Today will be our fifth day on the road. Although it's mostly gone smoothly, we're all ready to be out of the car.

*I'm starting to lose track of where I've been. I've taken a lot of pictures, but otherwise it's a big blur.

*I've also seen a lot of places that I wouldn't want to live in. Sorry Kansas and Wyoming.

*Kansas was, by far, the worst part of the drive. It went on forever and it was filled with a whole lot of nothing. We were driving through Kansas for 7 hours, but it seemed like about 12 days. I did get a first ever glimpse of a wind farm, which oddly, I found fascinating and gorgeous:
While in Kansas, we reached our half-way point. I looked around for something to take a picture of. Sadly this was all I could find:
*Also in Kansas, I actually saw a tumbleweed. I wish my camera had been out so I could have snapped a shot of it, because it seemed pretty comical to me. But, it tumbled by too fast.

*The night before last, we never made it to Denver. The kids were getting antsy so we decided to stop at the next "big" town we saw. We had been seeing signs for a place called Limon, Colorado so we figured it had to be a pretty sizable place. We realized how wrong we were when we got off the interstate and saw an old man driving his riding mower to the general store. Word of advice for fellow travelers: Don't stop in Limon. Just keep on truckin' to Denver, it's only an hour away.

*The next day we stopped at a Starbucks in Denver for breakfast. Never in my life have I been so thankful to see a Starbucks. We spent close to $40 there.

*Yesterday I hardly took any pictures at all which is a shame because I saw some beautiful mountain ranges. I blame Kansas for sucking the life out of me the day before.

*As for the musical part of the journey, I've given up on looking for music I want to listen to and have just been settling for whatever keeps the kids from talking to me. This has included, among others, There's a Party in my Tummy by the Yo Gabba Gabbas, the F.U.N song by Spongebob Squarepants, and a strange one called Poop goes the Weasel.

*The next time I write in this space, I'll be in Portland. Eighty-eight percent of the journey down, 12% more to go. (Thanks again for all your kind comments throughout my travels. I really do have the best blog friends.)

23 comments:

Dani said...

Wooo-hooo! Almost home!

Congrats on your 88% completion, lack of violence towards family members, and surviving Kansas.

Carla said...

Glad to hear everything is going well! We have a fair number of wind farms and oodles of tumbleweed if you ever want to see more....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

YIPEE almost there!
Glad to hear all the "fun"

Rick drove from Erie PA to Seattle and I remember him telling me that they call them the plain states for a reason! That made me laugh.
He was alone and he was thrilled when he saw another car or a cow - something to actually see.

See you in Portland

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I'm so excited for you! I've driven through Wyoming and it was HUGE...although I did make a Dairy Queen stop so that helped. Can't wait to hear from you FROM PORTLAND!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Good to know about Limon! And no, I wouldn't want to live in kansas or south dakota or idaho. Snore! Almost home!

Nowheymama said...

Almost there!!!

Lia said...

Yay! You're almost there! I can't wait to see where you all land!

Maria Rose said...

Hey you're in my part of the country! Good luck with the rest of your trip and congrats! I love the pacific NW

alisha said...

yay!!! almost done! yeah, once you get past the kc metro area, kansas is dullsville (lived there too). i'm glad everyon has survived the trip so far :-)

Daphne said...

By now you are in Oregon! Hope you have great luck finding an apartment right away and are loving your new state already!

Theresa said...

YAY! Almost there! I think the tumbleweed is pretty funny. I wish you had snapped a shot of it too!

As for the man on the tractor.... get this, the other day a friend of mine saw a man riding to town in a golf cart being pulled by a team of horses. NO. LIE. Guess you wouldn't want to stop off around here either! LOL

kraftykash said...

Good thing you didnt come through Nebraska, its soo boring! LOL Glas all is well. Cant wait for you all to get to Portland. :)

Mari said...

Are you there yet?!

melissa s. said...

Woot! Your Portland fanbase is anxiously anticipating your arrival! Also, I didn't know tumbleweeds existed outside cartoons until well into my 30's.

Jessie said...

Ps. Small comforts make everything better. Even if they are at Starbucks.

Jessie said...

Portland is like 5 hours from me! OMG! Can't wait!

Hotch Potchery said...

So exciting!!!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I think it's your musical selection that's sucking the life out of you!

hester said...

Wow...this is so exciting watching your trip unfold. Even "boring" photos of the passing countryside are of interest to an Aussie girl. So glad it's going well and sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping everyone happy.

victoria said...

It's hard to believe you are almost there! So glad to hear you are doing well and are safe and sound. Can't wait to hear about Portland!

kat said...

Welcome home!
We just moved from the beautiful mountains of BC to a flat windy place.(significant other is starting a career in wind energy)The tumbleweed comment cracked me up as we got a little too excited about our first sighting too.Now its old news and I want to go home...

melissa s. said...

Tammie! If you guys are looking for some comic relief, there's a rennaisance fair tomorrow (saturday) at the forest grove mcmenamins. We will be there (if it's not pouring down rain) as will a multitude of crazies, I'm sure. A perfect way to welcome yourself to Portland's wacky culture. (disclaimer: I will not be dressed up nor do I fully endorse renn fair mania, I just thought the kids would have fun!)

Tammie said...

ooh thank you!

it will be a week before our cable/internet is hooked up( im hijacking my neighbors now but the connection is sketchy) and ive been trying to keep the kids busy in our empty apartment. (our stuff wont be here until next week.!)