Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Big Move:: Day Two

We've made it safely to St Louis. We pulled into town around 4 PM, checked into our hotel, and then hit the town. We are mostly underwhelmed, but it's a place to lay our heads until the next leg of the journey.

Today we went through four states after leaving Georgia: Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, and Missouri.
Tennessee was pretty dull, but the scenery was pretty. I know these mountains aren't much, but for a Florida girl who is used to everything being flat, this was definitely a welcome change.

On the radio: Amie by Pure Prairie League

The boredom of Tennessee was completely trumped by that of Kentucky. Everything was very green and alive, but other than that there didn't seem to be much else going on. The occasional house or barn seemingly in the middle of nowhere. On the radio: Car Wheels on a Gravel Road by Lucinda Williams.

After a while I got tired of looking for picture worthy scenery so I turned the camera on the occupants of the car.

My pets have been utter angels on this trip. My children, not so much. But I think that's to be expected.

On the radio: Puttin' on the Ritz by Taco. (I'm so thankful for satellite radio.)

Next came Illinois, my only picture of it being the state sign. This was about the time that I stopped watching things zip past my car window and decided to just play with the radio. Jay made me listen to him screech along to Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses. After that, there was just way too much testosterone in the car so I had to even it out a bit with Hammer and Nail by the Indigo Girls.Then we finally entered Missouri. Again, only a state sign, but we have quite a bit more time left in this state.We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow-probably a 12 hour day-so I don't know what, if anything, I'll be posting in this space. Next stop Denver! Hopefully.

13 comments:

Dani said...

You really need to make a playlist to document your journey. It will be like a diary through song.

Travel safe, dear girl.

alisha said...

Having made the trip from STL to North Carolina many, many times, I do agree that TN isn't much to look at. But I always did love the hills of Kentucky. And yes, Saint Louis is underwhelming lol...not a fan or IL (where I now live) or MO (which is why I'll never return). But I think you'll like Denver. From what I've heard, it's an awesome city--it's on our list of places to move to fairly soon!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You're a brave, brave lady. I don't know if I could make this journey with my kids. Sometimes a ten minute drive makes me nuts.

Daphne said...

thanks for posting the updates! I was thinking of you last night. I was in St. Louis a couple of years ago, and was completely underwhelmed. Although I am sad I didn't have a gooey butter cake. I can't wait to hear what you think of the mountains as you start moving more westward!!

Not Your Aunt B said...

I agree with Dani! Post a playlist. I've never been to any of those places, but yawn, I may never now. At least you don't have to go through Texas. It is a big state that goes on forever and ever and ever. Can't wait to hear about Colorado!

Jessie said...

Will you be crossing the Cascade Mountain range? Oh! It will blow your socks off! Oh my my!

PS. You're cat looks crazy.
Love, J

Dawn said...

Liz Lemon looks so sweet!
Where's Sadie?????

Lia said...

Wow! I'm so glad y'all are on your way! I'm sorry about the sadness of leaving, but I'm so excited for you and your new life in Oregon. Happy trails, my friend!

Ducky said...

i miss denver! i lived there for a few years, and this time of the year i always miss it. wave hello for me when you go through.

be safe

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Oh, I love the state-by-state update. I done cross-country trips a couple of times and purposely went through Tennessee once to stop at Graceland. I couldn't tell you anything else about the state. Can't wait for more states! Safe travels...

Mari said...

Denver! Oh no, you're going the long way! Wah, you're going to totally miss SLC.

victoria said...

yeh, STL isn't that great, I don't think. Hopefully you'll get to see Boulder while in Denver! I hope you survived yesterday's long haul!

I'm blogging more over at www.gordoria.wordpress.com these days. Cerebral Misfortune is a bit dark, even for me. ;-)

Kindle said...

I am so excited to hearing more of your adventures. Those are great photos!