Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Big Move:: Day One

It's almost 5 AM. I'm sitting on the floor of a hotel room just outside of Atlanta. Everyone is asleep but me and the cat. I'm worried one of the pets has done something very naughty on the floor, but it may just be coming from the cat box. Or the bathroom. I'm sitting right next to both of them.

Yesterday was strange. I saw both of my parents cry. We're going to be very, very far away from both of them.

I felt a bit melancholy leaving the house. My kids have done a lot of growing in that house and as unhappy as I was at times in it, we do have a lot of memories there. As excited as I am to be seeing that chapter of my life come to a close, there was a slight pain in my chest.

Because we don't have a place in Oregon yet, we're technically homeless. I mean, we could always go back to the house in Florida since (unfortunately) we still own it, but it's totally empty and all of our stuff is on its way westward. This homeless feeling is very weird. In a way it just feels as if we're on a vacation and we'll just be going home in a week or so. And then it hits me that right now there is no home. It's mind blowing.

Jay is awake now so we're going to share some instant coffee. Next stop, St. Louis!

11 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Good Morning!
I'm going to sound motherly here for a moment - just remember all of this, the good, the bad and ugly. Because I have a feeling you are going to look back on this with such fondness.

Safe Travels. My guess is this will be 5 hrs from ATL to St. Louis ...well maybe not with kids and animals.....many stops I would assume.

kraftykash said...

I admire you for your strength, determination, and courage. Look at this as a liberating experience. There is a place in Oregon for you to call home. It will all work out. So for, now, enjoy all the little things and the instant coffee. :)

Daphne said...

How exciting! I totally know what you mean about the lump in your chest even though you're glad to be going. Enjoy your adventure along the way, and keep us posted! Travelogues are fun. :)

Shalet said...

Enjoy the journey!

Mari said...

You already are in Atlanta! I thought you were just leaving Florida this morning... I am so impressed that you guys are just doing this. I think it will be awesome! Maybe your parents will come visit you in Oregon one day.

CT said...

Tammie, it must be really unsettling, that homeless feeling. But my gut tells me you (and your family) are one of that kind that manage to land on their feet, not out of luck but out of inner strength. Good luck on your journey!

victoria said...

Sending another congrats your way! So many mixed emotions! You'll do really well finding a new place to live. Were you looking for places to live online before leaving? Again ... so excited for you!

Tammie said...

thank you so much for all your kind words. im thinking about all of you throughout this, like im taking you along with me.

oh and peggy: with kids and animals, it was about 8!!! these kids need to stretch their teeny bladders. the pets have been dreams.

alisha said...

so glad you're having safe travels so far. i can't quite imagine what it must feel like to be so unsure of your destination, but i do know that it will be quite an adventure and that everything will work itself out. thinking of you! have a safe trip to STL. can't wait for the next update!

BloomingAlmond said...

Girl, hang on in there :)
Homeless or not it's gonna be fine :)

Not Your Aunt B said...

Best of luck! And home is where the heart is, so right now it's your car, but hey! it could be worse. It could be a yucky, stinky car. Safe travels.