Monday, March 22, 2010

Random Thoughts

*I totally blew color week. I wasn't planning on throwing in the towel, but I was feeling uninspired. I enjoyed looking at everyone else's photos though. (Lia, Dani, and Jodi, to name a few.)

*Along those lines, you'll notice I have a *new* header photo. It's recycled. I first used it about a year ago. I sorta feel like that's cheating, but I was sick of the Yo Gabba Gabbas that were up there and I wanted a change. But again, was feeling uninspired. So I took the easy route.

*On Saturday night we watched Up in the Air. Sigh. Clooney, Clooney, Clooney. I'm still devoted to Alec of course but...wow. Clooney. So pleasant to look at, and oh so unattainable. Jay and I often talk about what it would be like to have relationships like George Clooney, and I have to say, I think I'm well suited for it. I've always enjoyed my solitude but as I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate it even more and I definitely like the idea of just having a guy come over a few times a week, hanging out, maybe fixing some stuff around the house, and then getting the hell out before he starts to smell the place up.

*Recently the girl told me that I should try to be more like Caillou's mom. If you've never seen Caillou, let me just assure you that this is an impossibly high standard. Caillou's mom has a level of patience I didn't know was possible. Considering the amount of stress I've been under lately, there's no way I could ever compete.

*Part of the reason I've been so stressed can be directly attributed to house selling. After everyone leaves in the morning, I make all the beds and clean the house to make it as show-worthy as possible, considering there are still children and pets living here. I do all this, on the ever so slim off chance that I'll get the call that someone wants to see the house. On the days I do actually get the call I then take it into overdrive, frantically running around doing my best to make it seem as if children and pets don't live here. With that in mind, I'd like to say the following to all potential home buyers out there:

If you're looking to buy a 2 bedroom house and what you're looking to spend is in the 2 bedroom house price range, please don't come look at my 4 bedroom house. Don't waste my time, my agent's time, your time, and your agent's time. Really, we all have better things to do. I realize this isn't the best time to be selling a house and I have no illusions about my particular place or what I'll end up getting for it. But, I'm not going to GIVE IT AWAY.

I would love to write more about the subject of real estate, but I vowed to myself to not say much until all is said and done. But once we find a buyer and all the papers are signed and I can be sure of no takesies-backsies, I'm really going to let loose. And it will feel so damn good.

23 comments:

kraftykash said...

We have never had the opportunity to look at houses for sale. I think that whole process of cleaning my place every day, would piss me off. Hang in there Mama. You will be on your way in no time at all. :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I was always admiring that you never spoke of selling and the stresses because it drives me bonkers. I thought wow you are handling this so well. So now you've ruined the illusion Tammie. I was thinking you were just a regular Martha Stewart and it wasn't really bugging you at all. I am glad to know you are a mere mortal! I can't wait to hear the dirt when it's over. I hate realtors and looky loo's.
And truth be told I hate having to make my bed every day when selling.

BTW stay away from my boyfriend. I gave you my 3 on my list and he was number 1 you know. :-)

Tammie said...

yeah it sucks. you definitely live on edge when your house is on the market.

and i know...i mean, it cant be for sale forever. right? right?!?! :) and we're going in a few weeks either way, but i had hoped to have it all done before the move.

Tammie said...

peggy: believe me, VERY stressed. i have so many stories to tell. but i really dont want to say anything on the blog about something or someone and then have to deal with them in a business type manner. it would be weird.

and dont you worry, im not going to steal clooney. im devoted to alec. and you know, my husband. ha ha. but who else is on your list? you have craig right? and isnt gerard somebody there also?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Gerard somebody. Hah - how dare you! Pretend you don't know that's right just keep your mitts off of 'em woman. I'm old but I can take ya. :-)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I love your candid-way of looking at life. Such honesty is rare these days. I'm telling you, I spend hour after hour, day after day biting my tongue. But not you, it's great that we all know where you stand! And I really mean that as a compliment.

Plus that fact that you admire George's lifestyle. Come to think of it, I think I could adapt quite well to that kind of relationship too.

May this be the week someone gets serious about your house.

Dani said...

Don't worry about color week. I'm sure it's the last of your worries.

Calliou and all his ilk drive me nuts. Especially the dad. He is such a puss.

Recycled or not, the new banner is quite cute.

I remember the home selling tango. It sucks. Can't wait to hear about your saga.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I like the recylced header and it's new to me since I wasn't around a year ago.

I laughed out loud that the girl wants you to be like Caillou's mom. Of course she's patient...she does nothing. I saw her vacuum once...other than that Grandma comes over to be with the kids while Mom gardens.

Sending good vibes for the house. I swear we'll never move because I don't think I could live keeping the house in "showable" condition.

It's Me, Theresa said...

I've never had to sell a house, but I grew to hate real estate and agents when we were looking to buy. I've never been the kind of person who had problems invisioning myself in someone else's home despite evidence of their kids and pets. I never understood why some people do. In fact, sometimes, when I'm visiting people...I like to invision myself living in their home. LOL Maybe you'll find someone like to buy your house!.......I can't wait for the blog where you tell us all what you really think.

Lia said...

"the idea of just having a guy come over a few times a week, hanging out, maybe fixing some stuff around the house, and then getting the hell out before he starts to smell the place up."

That would be perfect. I'm also pretty keen on the separate bedrooms thing. It's never going to happen, but I like to dream about it sometimes.

Hotch Potchery said...

I must have started reading your blog, post cupcake header. I like it and it was new to me.

I am way TOO chicken to even attempt to buy a house because I want to be able to move at a lease's notice, so I can't even fathom the stress of selling one.

Daphne said...

You let it all out, girl! :) Hugs. Sounds stressful.

(i've always been a fan of the duplex idea: you have your side, and I have mine. Clooney? Sure!)

Aleta said...

You brought back memories of when I lived in the house on the northshore. When my first ex and I separated, we put the house on the market. I was the one living in the house when it went up for sale. But I had to "live like I didn't live there" and had to keep it spotless and leave on a moment's notice if someone wanted to see it. Miserable! I feel for you as you have so much more to contend with!! Sending you positive thoughts!!!

Maria Rose said...

Good luck selling the house!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I like the header.
Our landlord wants to sell our house. We don't want to buy it. He wants to list it and have us keep it in show condition.
4 kids, 2 adults, multiple pets...not gonna happen.
We're moving.

Penny said...

I have never sold a house so I don't know that stress, but I can imagine that it would be very hard. Even as a renter when it is time to move and I have to show my place it totally stresses me out and really it has no real impact on me if the people want to rent my place or not!

I have never seen Calliou but I know who he is because isn't he supposed to be an anteater or something but he looks like a hamster? Or maybe I'm thinking of something totally different...

{Amy} said...

Oh YES, I could totally do that whole semi-separate lives thing, would work for me.
UGH..the house selling. What a freakin' nightmare. I lived that about 2 years ago, not fun and I totally agree about people always wanting more than they can afford and thinking a 2-bedroom bungalow (in my case) would have much more room. Where? Good luck with that! And yes, it will sell, it really will. Hang in there!

Mari said...

Yum- love that header! Did you like Up in the Air? I loved that movie- will probably buy it for the permanent collection! Someone told me she found the interviews terribly depressing, so I think she totally missed the point.
Anyway, hate selling and/or looking at houses. I feel for you, hang in there!

Tammie said...

theresa: im the same way and i dont understand why people cant just look past my stuff.

daphne: a duplex sounds brilliant. its like they're there. but not. love it!

penny: ha ha ha. youre thinking of Arthur. your comment cracked me up though.

cyndy: um....i have a house for you. ha ha ha ha.

amy: thanks for the encouraging words. :) it seems like house shopping brings out the stupid in people.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Ugh. I can't imagine having to clean the house every freakin' morning. Hope it sells quick and for a good price.

And, um, Clooney? OH HELL YES!

melissa s. said...

selling a house sucks sucks sucks. hugs to you, it will sell and there are flowers on the trees here in pdx. which is a big deal here. as you will know. hugs (again).

hester said...

Yes....extremely stressful selling a house. The worst part is when you tidy up like mad, go out for half an hour and all for nothing because the bloody potential buyer doesn't show up! Hope you get someone who gives you a great offer very soon. I think you should vent as much as you want on your blog. Surely there's no way a real estate agent/buyer would read it.

Re George Clooney - the no commitment thing does sound sort of attractive. But then, they wouldn't be around to wash up the dinner dishes every night. But, duplexes are a GREAT idea! I have a friend whose partner and father of her youngest two kids lives at his own place and comes over on weekends and builds cubbies and kitchens and things. What a deal!

beki said...

The only thing I can relate with to Caillou's mom is her figure.

The thought of selling my house gives me hives. Seriously. I'd rather undertake mass construction than ready my house for sale.