Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Latest

Last night as I was falling asleep I had the greatest idea for a blog post. It was going to be a doozy, the post to end all blogs everywhere. It was going to be both funny and touching and people would come from all over the internet to read it. As I was planning it all out I thought I should really get out of bed and write all this down. Eh...... I'll remember it in the morning. Of course this morning I couldn't remember a single thing about this brilliant blog post, which now I'm thinking was probably in actuality very, very stupid since I came up with it while half asleep. But that means that you guys just get to read about me bitching and moaning about my life again.

In about a month and a half my family and I will be on our way to Oregon. We aren't going to wait here for the house to sell, we just don't have that kind of time. Hopefully the real estate agents will still do their job even though we will be thousands of miles away. Tell me they will. Please. Just lie to me if you have to.

I am scared. And excited. And anxious. And ready to go right now. Things seem to be falling into place for Jay's work once we get there, which eases my mind a bit. Although I don't like to get too excited about things before they are definite. It seems that whenever I become overly optimistic (or even just regular optimistic), life has a way of slapping me down and reminding me that joy and happiness were not meant for me. So I remain.......realistically upbeat. I'm trying to not think that we will move out to Portland only to be homeless. We will not end up living under a bridge and my children will not immediately become gang members.

Another thing I'm trying to not think about is the actual drive to Oregon. We estimate it will take four or five days. More than half a week in a car with my husband and kids, 2 dogs, and three cats. (In case you're wondering, we found a good home for the turtle.) I'm toying with the idea of just casually trying to find a new forever home for one of my nicer, more well behaved cats. Casually, as in, I don't really want to part with her, but I will if I find a great stable person who wants a cat. Again, I don't want to do this, but I need to be realistic. Once we get out to Portland it will be much easier to find a place to live if we have one less animal. But, if I don't find someone, she'll just be making the trip with us.

So that's where I'm at. I still have a lot going on and a lot on my mind and I'm just trying to slowly take it all in and process it in a way that doesn't result in me having some type of mental breakdown.

Oh, one more thing. Are the rest of you as excited as I am about the Oscars this Sunday? Sigh. Alec.

24 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You are so brave. I mean really brave. It will all work out -- your family will be together and that's really what matters.

Good luck finding a home for the cat.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It will all be good!
Pack your umbrellas and wellies.

I do not envy that drive. Are you driving with all your stuff in a van? Hubby made it to Seattle from PA in 3 days. But that was driving alone with no crying children or anyone saying, "im hungry. How far to go? I have to pee." you know that sort of thing.

I did the same thing about the blog - although i didn't think it would be awesome but I thought of something and was too lazy to get up to write it down at that moment. So poof - no blog entry.

Your realtor will do well and your house will sell for way above asking.
That'll be a dollar please.

Daphne said...

Um, so how big is your car, again? :)

But seriously -- this is the right thing for you guys, and it will all work out even if it's a little messy at times.

And I know you like rain, but just be prepared... it's a wet one there this year. You'll love it!

Tammie said...

jodi: or crazy. :)

peggy: we're getting a POD delivered to the house, filling it with our stuff, and then the POD people are going to deliver it once we get to portland. surprisingly, this way will end up being cheaper than getting a u-haul truck.

if my house sells for way above asking, you'll definitely be getting a dollar.

Tammie said...

daphne: i dont know what id do without you cheering me on all the time. thank you. :)

our car is a pontiac vibe (think toyota matrix). so its....bigish. we'll be fine. just not real comfortable. but honestly i dont think a five day car ride is great under any circumstances.

Shalet said...

Having picked up and moved to Oregon some 15 odd years ago let me tell you it can be done and you will be fine. Just bring a pair of galoshes!

It's Me, Theresa said...

I'm actually kind of jealous that you are moving away from the south. I almost kinda wish it would work out where we had no choice but to move to tennessee or michigan. I'd take your cat if we lived closer. We have three, and the one female is kinda bitchy. She needs more estrogen. LOL

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I didn't know you were moving in a month a month and a half! I'm so happy for you...it's what you want and where you want to be so everything will work out! Any hiccups or "are we there yet" along the way just make for good stories later.

I can't hear any mention of the Oscars without thinking of you.

Tammie said...

shalet: thank you. :)

and yes, buy galoshes. that seems to be the general consensus.

Dani said...

You should check the open container laws along your route. You might need that info on or about day #3.

Hang in there, chica.

kraftykash said...

Wow! Im so excited for you all. Everything happens for a reason, Ive been reminding myself alot of this...this wk. Just trust it, go with the flow, breathe, and have a glass of wine or 2.

alisha said...

I know what you mean about getting crapped on right when it seems like things are going swell. However, I hope this isn't the case for you this time around. I hope things will work out! I'm actually a little jealous of your 5-day etravaganza.

Nowheymama said...

I can't believe it's really happening!!!

hester said...

That is such exciting news. Venturing off to a new life in Oregon! I'm sure everything will fall into place and as Krafty Kash said ....go with the flow. Such great advice.

We sold our first apartment and then had to pull out of the contract to buy a house so ended up with the moving van booked for that weekend and nowhere to go. But, amazingly we found a nice place to rent and two years later bought our little house here that we love. So...see....things have a way of working out.

Lia said...

That's so freaking exciting! I'm sure the drive will SUCK, but it's only 5 days. YOU CAN DO IT! You just need a dvd player. And maybe some Benadryl. Just kidding....

Carla said...

I'm excited for you that you desire to move is happening much sooner than planned. I'm sorry for the circumstances surrounding it though. Oregon is beautiful, hubby and I did a holiday there a few years ago. Good luck over the next weeks as you prepare!

Tammie said...

you guys really are the best!

theresa: maybe ill just drop her off at your house on the way. ha!

Aleta said...

I'll have to use this in the future: "realistically upbeat"... I try to be realist and sometimes it comes off as being negative, but really, I have hope, just afraid to show it, because it hurts when the hope gets dashed. Totally get where you're coming from and sending out prayers for you and your family!!

Tammie said...

aleta: you totally get where im coming from. ive often been accused of being a pessimist, but i dont necessarily think thats the case. i just dont want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Wow, when you move away, you move FAR away!
I hope it all works out for you all.

victoria said...

Sometimes when I read your blogs I have to come back later to comment because I just have SO much to say! So I'll try to make this short. CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm SO happy for you!

Oh my gosh, Gainsville to the PNW??!! A dream come true. Of course there is no such thing as a "geographical cure" and you will have the same ups and downs that everyone in the universe has, but the view will be better! And I really believe, for you, your quality of life will be more colorful and dynamic. Don't worry about the rain, just take some extra vitamin D. :-)

Reading your blogs are going to be so fantastic. Photos and stories of your adventures to the Oregon beaches and all your explorations will be great!

Think of your drive as part of the adventure. (I know ... yeah right, Victoria!) But seriously, are you planning on seeing anything on the way? Have you guys planned your route? Plus, you may be so relieved and excited by the time you leave that it will make the drive more bearable.

Penny said...

I am so happy that you guys are finally getting to move, BUT I know the stress that brings! Especially moving with kids and pets (my poor husband...me and my kid flew from NJ to AL and my husband drove with the dog and the two cats). I hope all goes well, keep us updated on the progress.

Mari said...

Oh my gosh! I thought you were moving next fall- this is so exciting!

tammiemarie said...

"strap them kids in, give 'em a little bit of vodka in a cherry coke, we're going to or-e-gon..."

gotta love james mcmurtry. best of luck with the move!