Sunday, March 14, 2010

Geektivities

Some boys play football or baseball. My boy? He's all about the video games, and has been since he was four. He not only plays them, but talks about some day designing his own. He takes his gaming pretty seriously.

This weekend he participated in his first ever, public competition. The game was Super Smash Brothers, one we know and love. The event was held at a local video game store. Sixty something participants all standing around holding their video game controllers, hoping for greatness. I didn't go to this event, but Jay said it was the nerdiest room he'd ever been in.

Waiting in line.Notice you don't see any females in this crowd. Shocking, I know.

Next up, the boy-that's him in the yellow and black. He chose to be Fox.This choice would prove to be his downfall. He now regrets this decision and wishes he had gone with Kirby instead because of his ability to float. (Sorry, I realize all of this means nothing to a large portion of you.)

And the competition is on:Sadly he lost.To an older teenager who was described to me as a "gigantic nerd face idiot boy."

All jokes aside, I'm immensely proud of my boy for being brave enough to compete in public, one on one, against total strangers. Not only were some of the competitors well into adulthood but let's be honest here, geeks and nerds aren't known for their kindness and social graces. I think my son has some guts.

16 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This is so cool for your son. I knew of a man when living in Seattle who moved to Portland to design video games. I thought, really you get paid for that? And I found out he got paid handsomely! I see a nice retirement for you and Jay. :-)

Not Hannah said...

Yay your boy!!! (Also, might I say that his hair is frickin' gorgeous?) I'm always hesitant to let Jeffrey participate in this kind of thing because I worry that he'll be upset if he loses. Thanks for setting such a brave example.

Karen said...

I agree with Heather--your son's hair is gorgeous. How lucky you are to have a kid with personality, you know?

Lia said...

That's awesome. I love all of it. Especially "gigantic nerd face idiot boy." Sounds like something my kids would say. Your boy is brave. He's definitely got some cojones.

Dani said...

High five to your boy.

I agree that laying in front of others is brave. Especially the nerd face idiot boy sorts.

CT said...

Could you please tell the boy that he's tottaly awesome! I am a complete spaz at videogames but am surrounded by gamers and if he wants to design them well, my hat's off to him.

when you do what you love, you don't work for a day in your life! I hope he manages to do that!

Tell us next time he goes to a competition so we can cheer him from here!

And I agree! He has "huevos" to go against the older kids!

CT said...

Hahahahahaha! I'm sending BOTH of you a hug... A FRONTAL HUG!

Daphne said...

That is adorable. Frontal hugs all around! As a side note, there is a game-design school here in Emeryville. It's called Expression College for Digital Arts. http://www.expression.edu/ Mostly that's just my ploy to get you guys to come down for a visit. :)

It's Me, Theresa said...

I STINK at video games. It's actually kind of awesome how terrible I am at video games, but the hubby loves gaming of all kinds. Not only video games either. You don't even KNOW nerds until you have a group of men in their 20's and 30's playing D&D at your dining room table... WITH DICE. LOL

I third the comment about the boys hair!

Kudos to you for supporting him in activities he enjoys! That is so great for him!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You taught him well. It isn't easy getting up the gumption to do something like this. Good for him and a pat on the back to you.

Tammie said...

thanks everyone for all the encouragement for my boy. i passed it on, especially the compliments about the hair, since I'm always trying to get him to cut it.

daphne: no ploys needed. i will definitely be there at some point.

jodi: thanks. but i cant take all the credit. jay is really the motivator around here. :)

Mari said...

Good for him! My girls loved that game!

hester said...

The Boy has chutzpah and I'm sure he'll go far. I bet those big nerdy guys were impressed.

Not Your Aunt B said...

I think geeks and nerds may be awkward, but very nice people! Probably because I live in Austin and everyone I know practically is a techie. We even know guys who design games, mostly for the computer. And they were all into computer, techie, games stuff when they were kids back in the Atari and Commodore 64 age! It's not the worst thing to be into- in it's heyday they we're reeking in the $$$! Too bad he lost, but there's always another tournament!

kraftykash said...

WooHoo! Im super proud of him too. That takes some nerve to go up in the front and try it. Love the pictures! Kalen was the same age when he grow his hair out for a few yrs.

Penny said...

We love contemplating what activities Eli will participate in...if they will be something Teddy and I enjoy (baseball) or something we think is dorky (chess) but we will be proud of him and there to cheer him on regardless! I love that your husband took him!