Monday, February 22, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up

Saturday was Jay's birthday. It was a low key family affair which, with all the other upheaval in our life right now, is sort of how we like things at the moment. Jay requested Nigella Lawson's beer cake so of course I obliged:I'm pretty sure the main reason Jay asks for this cake is because once it's made, there are usually five leftover bottles of Guinness needing to be drank. I do like making it though and think it's sort of manly and appropriate.

Earlier in the day the kids set to making birthday cards. I didn't want to tell the boy what to do, but since he's a bit older now I knew the card needed to include more than his usual scribble scrabble so I suggested he make a list of ten things he loves about his dad. Some of them were surprisingly touching and clever. My favorite being, "He comforts me when I have a episode." Yes, he's definitely the more dramatic of my two children.

Sunday we really wanted to get out of the house for a bit. Right now it's stressful being home. We're torn between constantly wanting to do things around the house to get it sold as quickly as possible and the realization that there really is only so much we can do and at this point most of it is out of our hands. So we drove to St. Augustine. The drive was boring as hell. But then when we got there, it was still pretty boring as hell. All of Florida really does nothing for me anymore.

The highlight of the day was eating lunch at the Santa Maria Restaurant. The inside was your very typical seafood restaurant on the water type stuff (think the Krusty Krab). But what made it fun was that you could feed the birds and fish from inside the restaurant. All the tables were along the perimeter of the building and each one had a chute next to it for you to hand out food for the birds:We got there right as the restaurant opened and at first there were no birds to be seen. But as soon as the waiter brought out a basket of day old bread, seagulls came from all over and began squawking at the glass.
It was somewhat Hitchcockian, made even more so when the girl kept referring to the birds as "hawks."

After lunch we got back in the car and made the two hour drive back home. Although it seemed much, much longer than two hours. More like an eternity. Especially when the girl began complaining about needing to use the restroom and there was nothing around us but burnt out trailers and empty strip malls. I told her she'd have to hold it because we were in the middle of nowhere. She responded by asking, "Well when are we going to be in the middle of YESwhere?!"

I don't know my dear. I'm still waiting to get there myself.

13 comments:

Anything Fits a Naked Man said...

I don't know if I realized before that you live in Florida (duh!)! I lived there for sixteen years, and just moved from there back up north last year.

I REALLY hear you about needing to leave that state. It's dying a slow, heartbreaking death. We sold our house rather quickly (albeit at a slight loss), I hope you're able to do the same and are able to get to "Yeswhere" very soon!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I think those birds would freak me out a little to. Thank you Mr. Hitchcock. My biggest bird fear these days are the crows. They seem to have invaded our neighborhood -- even tearing apart a poor little bunny right before my eyes. Yes, I did try to rescue him, but it was too late. Nasty creatures.

Anyhow, just remember you are headed SOMEWHERE, hopefully soon! And you won't be wandering around in the middle of nowhere much longer. Gosh, your descriptions make it sound like a dreadful, depressing place.

Karen said...

When we sold our last house I don't think I had a single stress-free minute until it was sold. It's so hard to sit back and wait. Good luck.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Out of the mouths of babes. That is funny Tammie.

Hey Tammie that beer cake looks chocolate. My beer cake is yellow. Wanna swap recipes?
My hubby loves beer cake!!!!

Tammie said...

anything fits: it is isnt it? i always think its because ive just been here too long but so many opportunities are just drying up. i just dont think its the best place to raise a family.

jolly: there are nice parts of florida but you have to drive through some shit holes or desolate swamps to get to them.

and that bunny would have broken my heart.

karen: thank you. honestly it helps just knowing other people have been there and made it through alive. :)

peggy: yes! id love to swap.

Aleta said...

I've never heard of a beer cake! Do you have a recipe to share?

Let me know when you arrive to "YESwhere"..... we need directions too :)

hester said...

Very poignant but funny post. And what more could Jay ask for for his birthday than some words from the heart on his handmade cards and a homemade beer cake (well....perhaps a nymphomaniac?)

I also hope that you reach "yeswhere" very soon.

Tammie said...

aleta: the trouble of yeswhere is that i think its different for everyone. but ill let you know what i learn. and i love your new profile pic.

hester:sadly, the nymphomaniac was nowhere to be found. he had to make do with some halfhearted lovin' in the shower.

Lia said...

Ha! You always make me laugh. Sounds like your baby girl just might have some of her mama's wit in her.

Half-hearted lovin' is better than no lovin'.

I'm so interested in that cake. I know many a man who would love it.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Mmm...beer cake. Sounds delish! Will have to make it! And how cool to feed the birds at a restaurant.

Since we *may* have to move due to J's job, I am now crossing Florida off our list.

kraftykash said...

Any sort of cake would go over well in this house right now. Korby has informed me Im trying to kill her with all this "health food". Happy Birthday to Jay!! As soon as you figure out yeswhere...plz take us with you. :)

Penny said...

I hear you, we are always trying to come up with cheap/free things to do and sometimes we get winners and sometimes we get a boring day full of annoying each other BUT feeding the birds through the shutes was really cool!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Thanks for linking up. We love the Santa Maria. It used to be our #1 fave but they took our favorite dish off the menu. Without even asking our permission!!