Sunday, February 14, 2010

This and That

Friday night my dad picked up the girl for a weekend sleepover at his house, three hours away in Georgia. This was her first time away from us and I was a bit scared to let her go, but I'm so glad I did. It snowed in Georgia that night and there was still some on the ground the following morning for her to play with. Sort of.I know to most of you this seems like a sad, pathetic amount of snow. But to a girl who's never seen it before, it was pretty exciting.

********

Last week Peggy did a post about six word memoirs and then challenged her readers to come up with some of their own. Of course I was thinking in six word snippets all weekend long. Here's what I came up with so far:

*Constantly messing up, yet always learning.

*Still hoping I'm destined for greatness.

*Starting over. Wasting time no longer.

*Always open to new ideas. Maybe.

*And the shit storm keeps coming.

Once Jay saw my list, he added one of his own:

*At least we're in it together.

Right now, all of my six word memoirs have a certain hit-rock-bottom-must-start-over theme but I imagine (aka hope) that it won't always be that way. I got to thinking that it would be a neat idea to have a small notebook just for six word memoirs. Maybe set a goal to write one weekly or monthly and then see how the tone of the memoirs changes over time. I suppose that, like a blog or a scrapbook, it would be one more small way to document your life.

What would your six word memoir be?

12 comments:

It's Me, Theresa said...

awww.. I'm glad the girl got to see some snow! That's awesome! We enjoyed our few inches too.

6 word memoir- Worn out and cranky in Alabama.

That's the best I could come up with.... now I'm going to lie awake all night counting words... I just know it. LOL

Lia said...

My 6 words:

What the #*@! am I doing?

I wish it would snow here. We've been teased a couple of times, but that's it. I want a week's worth of snow so we can stay home and play and be cozy and crafty.

You're little beauty is too cute in her snow pics.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Too much Valentine candy? Urp. Yes.

I would be excited for that much snow. We have gotten none. Maybe I saw 5 snow flurries in December, but that's it.

Daphne said...

I can tell you that hitting rock bottom has its advantages -- you can only go up (even if slowly).

Mine: Maybe this time it'll work out.

onasilentsea said...

yay for snow!

my six word memoir?

Please tell me this gets better.

kraftykash said...

Hurray! The girl saw snow!! I was super excited when I saw that picture....made my evening!


Poor me another glass of wine. 6 words from me. :)

Dani said...

I'm glad your snow princess got a true taste of winter. Snow memories are ones that never leave...especially for us warm-climate folk.

6 words:

Trying to figure it all out.

Right now, that sums it up.

I like the idea of keeping a running journal of the 6 words. I'll join you in your journey.

hester said...

I'm impressed with that amount of snow as I don't think there has ever been a single snowflake in the history of my city (Brisbane, Australia). My girls would certainly be impressed with that amount of snow. Your girl looks happy.

The six word memoirs are great, but so frustrating! I just can't seem to squeeze much in there. So far I have only come up with:

Happy childhood. Late bloomer. Exhausted mother.

Or maybe:

Still learning the secrets of living.

Or maybe:

Have children. Love chocolate. Hate dentists.

OK...I'll stop hogging your comments page now.

Anything Fits a Naked Man said...

I like the idea of the "six word notebook!" I actually participated in the contest you mentioned. I think mine was something like, "Lived, loved, lost. Loved again, better!!" Yeah, definitely that, "hit rock bottom, then recovered" theme you mentioned! I'm going to have to work at getting better at it!

I love the ones you posted, and I love the snow pics! Have a great week!

Nowheymama said...

What a happy girl!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love that it hit such a chord. It did obviously to me as well.
And I too,did this all weekend!

Love that your daughter loved the snow. I would be more than happy to send a few feet your way. :-)

Penny said...

I can never do things like the six word memoir because I SO overthink it and try and make it perfect that I usually end up with nothing.

We had a pretty good snow here in Alabama, and it was pretty exciting so I totally get your daughter's enjoyment!