Thursday, February 18, 2010

Random Thoughts

I'm missing being in this space regularly. I've had things I've wanted to write about and I've had the time to do so but I just haven't had the motivation to write it all down.

I've realized lately that whenever I go through a particularly stressful time in my life I sort of check out, mentally speaking. I get up, take care of the kids, do whatever needs to be done, but after that I retreat to somewhere in my own head. It's not that I'm depressed, in fact quite the contrary. I still remain remarkably, uncharacteristically, upbeat about all of this. But I'm really, really, tired of thinking. Which is why, when I have computer time, I don't blog, comment on blogs (although I do read them), or return emails, but instead work on getting the expert score on Diner Dash. So if you are one of the people I still owe an email to, please know the reason I haven't responded isn't because I don't like you, it's because right now it's just easier for me to feed a chain of ten angry customers than it is to form enough complete sentences to make a proper email. (As a side note: the last time I got really good at Diner Dash was four years ago when we were selling our condo. Something about real estate has the power to bring me down with one fell swoop. The whole process just does me in.)

Anyway, I do have a few things I've been wanting to share:

*I'm always looking for a reason to add sweetened condensed milk to just about anything, so I was excited to find this recipe for chai tea concentrate (found via Jessica.) I drink a lot of tea this time of year and it's nice to spice it up a bit, literally.

*Last Sunday, Jay made these salmon breakfast croquettes. They were amazing. Word of advice though: Don't even attempt to make them the cheap way with canned salmon. At first we thought that would be a brilliant idea. Then we opened the can. Last I heard, salmon isn't supposed to be grey. Needless to say, Jay ended up making a run to the store, and the cats ended up getting the treat of a lifetime.

*I'm very excited to watch The Ricky Gervais show this Friday at 9 PM. It combines my love of animation with my love of Ricky Gervais.

*Have you ever noticed that you don't meet anyone under the age of, say 50, who is named Richard yet goes by Dick? None of my son's friends are named Dick. I don't even think I know of anyone in their twenties or thirties who goes by that name. I think the popularity of it is wearing off and I, for one, am thankful because I don't like calling people that. Unless of course, they are acting like one, then I don't mind at all. But it's usually followed by the word "head."

15 comments:

Dani said...

No worries. Your wit is missed but understood.

I'm glad the whole Dick/Richard thing is no longer en vogue. If I'm going to call someone a dick, I want there to be purpose behind it.

Daphne said...

I find it sort of amusing that our loan person is named Rich. Ha!

Nowheymama said...

That's my dad's nickname, which embarrassed me when I was in high school. I'm over it now. :)

Tammie said...

dani: my sentiments exactly.

daphne: considering the part of the country he's in, his name is very appropriate.

nowhey: apparently im incredibly immature because i feel very awkward when forced to call people that. i usually just avoid it altogether by not saying the name.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OMG that made me howl.
Yes Dickhead is quit cathartic to say isn't it?

I'm happy you are so upbeat. I'm not moving and I'm having trouble being that way lately.
:-)

Lia said...

One of my best friends in high school was named Bambi Nutt. Her father was Richard, and yes, he went by Dick. Dick Nutt. I still laugh every time I think about it, 16 years later.

I check out all the time and retreat into a funk that isn't true depression, but is a sort of lethargy I like to call "being a lump." I've been in a lumpy state for a month or so now.

Anything Fits a Naked Man said...

You know, I've noticed that too about the "Richard" thing! My big question is always, "Why would ANYONE named Richard want to be called DICK?!!!" Seriously!

Take your time with the writing, Babe. We'll wait!

Layrayski said...

Hey! I thought i'm the only one who's gone awol. :) yeah my thoughts exactly. why name someone dick? glad i was able to drop by. i needed the laugh.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Have I ever told you I know a guy named Richard Sweat? He goes by Dick. And he named his son Peter.
I couldn't make this stuff up!

alisha said...

I do miss you, but I totally understand. I too am in one of those moods where I'm reading a lot of blogs, but not commenting and not really writing in my own. But whatever. We understand :-)

I'm very glad no one goes by Dick any more. It makes me uncomfortable :p

hester said...

Glad you are staying sane while coping with selling/packing etc. Checking out of some bits of life is pretty helpful sometimes.

My parents had a friend when I was younger who actually was called Richard Head and he WAS called Dick! They also knew a pair of twins (grown men) called French Flowers and Field Flowers. What was their mother thinking?

Tammie said...

ha ha ha...some of these are cracking me up.

victoria said...

Oh my gosh, I understand completely! I check-out ... it's my thing. My friends are used to my disappearing acts. It's very difficult to stay engaged with blogging as well.

Once, when I was little, a man came to the house named Peter. I was very confused! :-)

victoria said...

LOL ... I replied before I read all the comments ... very very funny!

Jessica said...

I understand the stressful days and how it is hard to come up with time/thoughts. I hope the chai tea turned out tasty!