Saturday, January 30, 2010

Random Thoughts

A very quick random thoughts:

*Just as a reminder, our Open Discussion of The Lovely Bones will be on Monday. If you've read the book, please take a moment to stop by and leave your thoughts on it.

*I wanted to thank everyone for your very revealing comments on my Siblings post. It was definitely a subject everyone had an opinion about and I found them all fascinating. The topic of siblings, be they good or bad, definitely struck a chord with people.

*As some of you are aware, I got a nasty anonymous comment on this post when I mentioned I wasn't able to do anything financially for Haiti, but I was making pillowcase dresses for African girls. Well, imagine my joy when Susan at Freshly Picked, the author of the pillowcase dress tutorial that I've linked to, oh umpteen times, put out a call for folks to make dresses, send them to her, and she'd see to it that they would get to Haitian refugees relocating to the Dominican Republic. I'm going to be busy in the coming weeks (more on this later in the week) but I do hope to get at least one dress made and sent off. And because you can never have too much of a good thing, here is the (new, revised) pattern.

*And as a final note, I really loved this short little post over at Mama Urchin about one of the most important jobs we have as parents.

See.......I told you this post would be quick.

6 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You are spreading good will around the world....Does it really matter where? Isn't it just about touching someone's life and making it a bit better? Just because there's a need.

And I'm ready for Monday!

Dani said...

I'll be there Monday.

I'm going to look for some thrifted cases tomorrow and join you.

Lia said...

I will definitely make a few pillow case dresses to send to her. Yay that she's making it easier for us!

And what the hell kind of a bi-otch left you a nasty comment on your post about helping little girls in Africa with cute pillow case dresses? WTF?!! Screw her.

hester said...

Ummm...having just conquered the lazy days skirt you showed us, I thought I could whip up a pillow case dress or two, but may need to study it a few million times first.

So glad the perfect opportunity came along for you re Haiti. You're a good woman, Tammie.

I haven't got my hands on a copy of The Lovely Bones yet. I'll have to come back to your post and read it when I manage to finish the book. Have you picked the next one yet?

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Anonymous is a jackass.
I'm going to try to come back for the book discussion.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I just got a new "used" Janome sewing machine so that I can learn to sew. I so wish I could make a dress already to contribute to the cause. but I'm afraid I can't do that just yet....at least not one anyone would or could wear.

I applaud all you do Tammie. It's not easy with kids and family and just plain life let alone finding time to do this.

As for people sending you nasty grams because you couldn't do anything for Haiti - that is awful. Who knows what anothers circumstances are. That fries my ass when I read that.

I guess I should be thankful then because my Anonymous's are all about high yield invesments or sexual things. Who knew I could be thankful for those creepy comments every day?