Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It Makes Me Smile

First off, I wanted to thank you all so much for your kind words on my last post. Honestly, I felt so cruddy and without hope yesterday and your words helped pull me out of my funk a bit. It helps so much to know that other folks know what I'm talking about or have been there and gotten through it. Really, thank you.

Moving on.

I've had an idea floating around in my head for a new recurring segment on the blog that I've just never bothered to put it into action, but today seems like the perfect day. I'd really like to do a series of posts about the little things in my life that make me smile or brighten my day. The small things I love. The things that, when I'm wandering through my house in purge mode, I'll never throw away. So without further ado, I present to you part one of It Makes Me Smile.
The Tammie mug.

I have no idea where this came from or how long it's been in my house, but I do know that Jay brought it home and it's his idea of a joke. I'm not a morning person, especially before I've had my coffee. In fact, my morning behaviour can be described as monstrous or vicious. The family knows not to even make eye contact with me. Sometimes for laughs, Jay will bring me coffee in bed in the Tammie mug, usually saying something like, "Wake up Sunshine" or my personal least favorite, "Rise and shine, Angel of the morning." Of course this makes me want to kill him but because I haven't yet had my coffee, I can only summon enough energy to call him an asshole and vow to get my revenge later in the day.

Even though the whole routine irritates me in the morning, it always gives me a chuckle later in the day because, you know, it's just sort of our thing.

(If anyone is interested, I'd love it if you all would share some of the things floating around your house that never fail to cheer you up a bit. Consider this an invite to steal my idea.)

16 comments:

Daphne said...

That is too funny. I will take you up on that idea! Gotta think about it... glad you are feeling better. Your goal is TOTALLY attainable and will happen soon! I'm going to go tell Portland to get ready for you. :)

Dani said...

Woah. Great minds must think alike. I have on my "blog idea list" a post about just this very thing. It's even called "Making Me Smile".

I will join you for sure. Instead of making it one big post, I can stretch it into some tiny posts with a story attached.

Kudos lady.

Karen said...

I used to wake up wanting to murder the first person I saw. Now I just sort of stumble around in a vaguely sinister mood until properly caffeinated. This is an improvement.

Just think, when you move in 2011 you'll have discarded most of your worldly goods and you'll save thousands on moving expenses. Awesome.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Glad you're feeling happier today. This is a great idea. I'll steal your idea. My organized basement is still making me smile.

Hotch Potchery said...

I love that mug, and I love your idea...I have a bunch of weird stuff that looks like crap to most, but I LOVE it.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Maybe it's because I'm grumpy but when I go home I think wine will make me smile.

kraftykash said...

This sounds fun. Im on it girlfriend! I will do it whenever you do. :D Glad you are feeling better about stuff. It always helps to vent!

alisha said...

that is one of the funniest mugs i've ever seen lol

Carla said...

I have a shirt my hubby bought me while back - it says "Happy to be Grumpy" with Grumpy Dwarf on it. It only make me smile when I'm not actually grumpy!

Lia said...

Ha! Love the mug and the idea. I'm in.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Done! Love the idea.

Penny said...

I'm going to steal this idea too! It is fun, and I have a weird thing about really liking to look at other people's stuff and/or houses.

R.H. Ducky said...

glad you're in better spirits.

that mug is awesome. and i'm liking the "it makes me smile" segment. i'm pretty sure it would do me good to take a look around really think about the things that make me happy. count me in.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Hey there Tammie -- I linked to your blog with what's making me smile today. I hope you're finding smiles somewhere today (just don't be listening to the news, whoa is it ever depressing).

Barefoot_Mommy said...

that's a neato idea for a blog post. One that I could stand to do I think.

PS- have I told you that I really like your new header photo? Cause i do

Nowheymama said...

What a great idea!