Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Can't Really Take Credit For This One

I'm responsible for this skirt that the girl is wearing, but to say that I made it would be a bit of a stretch. It originally belonged to my mom, but she didn't love the fit so she passed it on to me. It fit me, but came up pretty high on my waist, which is not a feeling I enjoy. So mostly it sat in the closet.

When I was purging the house of crap a few weeks ago, the skirt didn't make the cut. But I couldn't just throw it away. I love the earthy green designs on it, the gauze-like cotton, and the unfinished edges between the tiers. So, vowing to do something with it, I tossed it into the ever growing pile of unfinished projects atop my sewing machine.

Over the weekend it occurred to me that it would be wrong to chop up the skirt too much, it's so adorable as is. So, all I really did was cut the skirt in half at the widest part and then sew in an elastic waistband.Because the new waist area is the old hip/ass area, there is a ton of fabric to this skirt, making it super flouncy and girly. Perfect for spins and twirls.What more could you want from a skirt?

16 comments:

Nowheymama said...

So cute!

alisha said...

omg i love it! so cute!

Dani said...

I can't show my girl. She will want me to chop all my skirts. Not that I have that many, but still...

Great, simple idea.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

It's perfect. Everything a girly skirt should be. I'm in the process of finishing up an apron with a flounce. I'm loving that word -- flounce. Kind of like bounce, kind of flirty. It's just a neat. It describes your skirt.

It's Me, Theresa said...

So cute! I have a skirt in my closet that might do well for my girl. I never would have thought to do that.

Veronica said...

Love it! And it looks like the girl loves it too!

Daphne said...

I love the green designs! Perfect and looks like the recipient loves it too!

Hotch Potchery said...

DUDE!

So cute and clever.

beck said...

Full credit to you! How great to find a skirt within a skirt! yay! Your daughter looks so cute spinning in her new outfit, lovely xo

Mari said...

That is gorgeous!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Make me one. I want it. Too cute and fun!

kraftykash said...

Absolutely adorable! Is she sporting kid Uggs?? Be thankful your girl behaves like a girl. Lately people tell me my boys are polite. uggghh!

hester said...

That's a gorgeous skirt - I love the fresh summery pattern. And I love the twirling photos.

Lia said...

That is so damn cute. Why don't I have a little girl t alter cute skirts for? Boy clothes are too hard or not cute.

kirsten said...

that turned out super cute. i did a similar project with one of my skirts for my girl - and it's her favorite one!

victoria said...

I agree, too cute to get rid of ... and now it's perfect.