Saturday, January 2, 2010

Five

I live with a girl who turns five today.

When I was pregnant with this girl, we really wanted to have her here with us before the end of the year for tax purposes. (Is that crass? I'm not apologizing, just wondering.) Anyway, short of reaching into my birth canal and yanking her out with my own bare hands, I did everything to make her come. But, this one had other plans and wanted to do things her own way.In that regard, life hasn't changed much for her outside the womb. She's opinionated, sassy, loud, and stubborn.These qualities are rarely pleasant when being exhibited by a preschooler, but if she keeps it up, she's going to be one hell of a strong woman. In parenting her, I walk a fine line between keeping her behaviour in check, yet doing my best to not kill the awesome, exuberant spirit she was born with. Her personality is truly larger than life.As the years pass, I don't feel sad that she isn't my baby anymore. I'm excited for what's to come. I can't wait to see the adult version of this girl. I have a feeling she's going to teach me how to have a good time.Happy Birthday, Lucinda Rose. Here's to another year of keeping me on my toes.

15 comments:

Barefoot_Mommy said...

AWw Happy Birthday to a very awesome Girl!

kraftykash said...

What a great post about the girl! Happy Birthday to her. Hope you all have a fabulous day.

Daphne said...

Loved this post! What a pretty cake, too. She's going to be one to look out for; what a terrific thing.

Lia said...

Love her name! And it sounds like I would love her, too! I like sassy little girls. Probably because I don't have any. Happy birthday to you both!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Happy birthday....I have a 16-year old beauty here in my house. Honestly, life with daughters ebbs and flows. There's good and bad. Here's hoping you see mostly good. At least at 5 years of age, you can control things (somewhat). I'm beyond control. Mine has a mind and soul of her own. I just hope I'm a little voice inside her head that reminds her to do right by herself and others. Hope your day was special!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I love this post and the photos. Opinionated, sassy, loud and stubborn...she'll go far!

(And I wish I could have a piece of that cake!)

Dani said...

May the girl have a magical day...

My Girl wants her cake something fierce.

Tammie said...

thanks everyone for the birthday love.

the cake is Paula Deens 1-2-3-4 cake and can be found here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/basic-1-2-3-4-cake-recipe/index.html

only i made two thicker layers instead of 3 thinner. its very easy to make but very sweet.

the icing is store bought that i just colored with food coloring.

and the sprinkles are Disney Princess sprinkles. because thats what the Princess wanted on her special day. :)

Not Your Aunt B said...

Aww...happy birthday to your girl!

Jessie Earth Momma said...

Oh my goodness! She is really cute! Happy Birthday to lil L!

Penny said...

Your daughter sounds a lot like my son. My husband and I always say if we can get him to adulthood he will be AWESOME,but man he is challenging!

I love her name, it's beautiful!

(My friend had a bumper sticker that said "well behaved women rarely make history" or something along those lines, and I tend to agree)

Hotch Potchery said...

What a great post, 5 is a big year!

IGEMOM said...

Tax purposes! Amen! I thought the same thing...even got married before the new year so we could file jointly! Oh, and I sniff Strawberry Shortcake too, and my daughter isn't even OLD ENOUGH to own one. Heh.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I hope she had a happy birthday. The way you describe her reminds me of my youngest daughter.

Crystal said...

Happy birthday!