It's been a long time since I sat at my sewing machine and created something. I know this for a fact because before beginning the project I'm about to share with you, I had to literally dust off my machine. I don't know what my problem was, I just haven't been motivated to sew. Even the fact that the blog world is filled with folks creating beautiful handmade holiday gifts didn't inspire me. But, Monday I got the itch and there is nothing like a little bit of patchwork to lift my spirits.
You all know I love patchwork. Not only do I like the look of it, but I love using scraps that otherwise may end up trashed. I always feel so thrifty and inventive when I Frankensew something out of bits and pieces of other things.
Anyway, the bathmat. I've mentioned before how I'm a bit reticent to buy anything new for my house. I don't love it, I don't want to be here, and I don't want to spend the money. So it should come as no surprise when I tell you that my old bathmat was about six years old. I know, gross huh? I had planned on just using it until we moved and then pitching it in some trash can on my way out of Florida but when I noticed it had small holes in it, I decided something had to be done.
I've seen numerous crafty gals around blog land make their own bathmats so I knew it could be done. Most tutorials I've come across involve just a top of your choosing (in my case patchwork in shades of blue, brown, yellow, and orange) sewn onto an old towel.Although I like that idea, I kinda wanted to take it up a notch. Plus, I didn't have an old towel. So, I sewed my top onto my old bathmat. I should mention that the old bathmat didn't have a rubbery back, it was a reversible one similar to these, although mine hadn't looked that nice in a while.
Then I backed it with a larger piece of fabric:And folded over the edges twice to conceal all the seams and to make a border: I didn't come up with that idea on my own. I originally saw it on a floor mat project in Patchwork Style, which is a book I have that provides endless inspiration although I've yet to actually make anything from it. This seems to be a recurring thing in my life when it comes to craft books. I would like to think it's because I'm smart and crafty enough to modify patterns to suit my life, but it's probably just because I'm too lazy to follow instructions.
Ok...the details: *Very easy project. I worked on it on and off for about two days. All things considered, it probably took about 3 hours.
*The hardest part was the border. Getting the measurements right was a pain in the ass for me because I hate numbers. Plus, my poor machine didn't enjoy sewing through that many layers of fabric. It jammed up a few times and a needle was sacrificed for the cause.
*I already had all the supplies on hand so it cost nothing. Yay.
*The colors are a bit girly, so I wasn't sure if Jay would like it. Fortunately, when it comes to decorating he couldn't care less what I do around here so the worst I expected was complete indifference. I think his exact words were: "Hey, it looks way better than the old one." Also, he said it was nice to see me sewing again. Because he's sweet like that.
I probably won't be back here until after the holidays. Although I have things I want to blog about, the interwebs just don't seem to be the place to be right now. So whatever you celebrate, have a fabulous time doing it and I'll be back on Monday.