Wednesday, December 23, 2009

*New* Bathmat

It's been a long time since I sat at my sewing machine and created something. I know this for a fact because before beginning the project I'm about to share with you, I had to literally dust off my machine. I don't know what my problem was, I just haven't been motivated to sew. Even the fact that the blog world is filled with folks creating beautiful handmade holiday gifts didn't inspire me. But, Monday I got the itch and there is nothing like a little bit of patchwork to lift my spirits.

You all know I love patchwork. Not only do I like the look of it, but I love using scraps that otherwise may end up trashed. I always feel so thrifty and inventive when I Frankensew something out of bits and pieces of other things.

Anyway, the bathmat. I've mentioned before how I'm a bit reticent to buy anything new for my house. I don't love it, I don't want to be here, and I don't want to spend the money. So it should come as no surprise when I tell you that my old bathmat was about six years old. I know, gross huh? I had planned on just using it until we moved and then pitching it in some trash can on my way out of Florida but when I noticed it had small holes in it, I decided something had to be done.

I've seen numerous crafty gals around blog land make their own bathmats so I knew it could be done. Most tutorials I've come across involve just a top of your choosing (in my case patchwork in shades of blue, brown, yellow, and orange) sewn onto an old towel.Although I like that idea, I kinda wanted to take it up a notch. Plus, I didn't have an old towel. So, I sewed my top onto my old bathmat. I should mention that the old bathmat didn't have a rubbery back, it was a reversible one similar to these, although mine hadn't looked that nice in a while.

Then I backed it with a larger piece of fabric:And folded over the edges twice to conceal all the seams and to make a border: I didn't come up with that idea on my own. I originally saw it on a floor mat project in Patchwork Style, which is a book I have that provides endless inspiration although I've yet to actually make anything from it. This seems to be a recurring thing in my life when it comes to craft books. I would like to think it's because I'm smart and crafty enough to modify patterns to suit my life, but it's probably just because I'm too lazy to follow instructions.

Ok...the details: *Very easy project. I worked on it on and off for about two days. All things considered, it probably took about 3 hours.

*The hardest part was the border. Getting the measurements right was a pain in the ass for me because I hate numbers. Plus, my poor machine didn't enjoy sewing through that many layers of fabric. It jammed up a few times and a needle was sacrificed for the cause.

*I already had all the supplies on hand so it cost nothing. Yay.

*The colors are a bit girly, so I wasn't sure if Jay would like it. Fortunately, when it comes to decorating he couldn't care less what I do around here so the worst I expected was complete indifference. I think his exact words were: "Hey, it looks way better than the old one." Also, he said it was nice to see me sewing again. Because he's sweet like that.

**************************************************************
I probably won't be back here until after the holidays. Although I have things I want to blog about, the interwebs just don't seem to be the place to be right now. So whatever you celebrate, have a fabulous time doing it and I'll be back on Monday.

19 comments:

Daphne said...

Lovely! I just had to buy a new sewing machine so you're inspiring me. And Jay is a good guy.

Email me if you want. :)

Nowheymama said...

Great job!

Hee. "Frankensew."

Karen said...

I've been on a bathmat making spree but now I need to make some with patchwork that looks more like yours. The last two I made I bound the edges like a quilt, which was easier than the method they use in Patchwork Style (which i have too but have yet to actually use).

In short: your bathmat is making mine jealous.

R.H. Ducky said...

ok, "frankensew" made me giggle. and i love love love the colors. i can't wait to get a sewing machine and start learning to sew!!! all of your projects are so cute and inspire me to want to be more creative.

i'm taking a break from blogging until monday as well. i hope you and the family enjoy the holidays!

Tammie said...

daphne: funny you mention it, because i was about to email you.

karen: it shouldnt be jealous. if your bathmat were to get close to my bathmat, it would see all the flubs and crooked seams.

Tammie said...

ducky: thank you. so many of my projects are Frankensewn. it makes me feel like god. ha ha.

you and the gay hubs have a good holiday as well! :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

It is wonderful. I made bathmat using Amanda Soule's design, but your's is so much better than mine. Now I want to start all over! I am so impressed and I love using up scraps. It's so satisfying knowing you're not wasting an inch! By the way, I picked up my copy of The Lovely Bones this morning at Target. I'm trying! Have a great holiday Tammie -- I'm so enjoying your blog.

Tammie said...

jolly: isnt amanda wonderful? she inspires me a lot but sometimes i get discouraged cause nothing i do ever looks as good as hers.

i hope you like the lovely bones....im liking it so far.

and thank you! ive been enjoying yours too. i think looking at all your projects lately helped to get me back in the swing of things. :)
Happy Holidays.

hester said...

Very funky bathmat and I must say Jay does sound like a particularly sweet husband.

I have dropped heavy hints to my husband for a book I saw in a city book shop called something like "Last minute patchwork gifts" so fingers crossed.

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I love your *new* bathmat. I want one!!! I need one actually.

kraftykash said...

That is a kick ass bath mat! You go girl. Merry Christmas. :D

Dani said...

Too cute! That could jazz up any bathroom.

I haven't sewed in at least two months. I've had the itch as well. Maybe 2010 will bring a new found love between me and the Janome.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Off topic..... Tammie I thought of you while watching Alec on David Letterman last night. I am sure you enjoyed him as well. Love Dave's holiday show - the same every year but so damn good. Alec was a hoot.

Merry Christmas.

Tammie said...

peggy: yep. i stayed up and watched it. now im exhausted. :)

merry christmas!

Penny said...

I really love your new bath mat! You are really making me want to learn how to sew!

Happy Holidays!

(Oh, I'm so happy you knew about Same Old Lang Syne, I was sure no one would know what I was talking about!)

Tilly said...

I love the expression 'Frankensew'! I'm the same with craft books, and cook books too for that matter. Fabulous bathmat. Wishing you a very Happy Christmas.

victoria said...

Oh my gosh, I love it!! Merry Christmas, Tammi! :-)

Lia said...

That looks so damn good and what a great idea. I am definitely impressed. I can't wait to start making some stuff for myself.

I, also, am really enjoying your blog. Keep it up, sista. Happy Holidays!

Mari said...

Really cute, Tammie! Merry Christmas!