Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Anyone Up For Another Book Discussion?

Ever since the success (or what I consider success) of our Open Discussion on The Poisonwood Bible, I've been itching to do it again and have been keeping my eyes open for books I think would work well. Books that are not only interesting, but have permeated pop culture to the point where enough folks have either read the book, wouldn't mind reading the book, or at the very least know the basic plot of the of the book.

Tomorrow I plan to start reading The Lovely Bones and I think it would be perfect for an internet based discussion. I know many of you have read it already and I'm kinda late to the game on this one, but would you be interested in having a chat about it?

I thought we'd have the Open Discussion sometime in early February. I know February 2010 seems like a long time from now but in actuality it's only about six weeks and I want to make sure that those who want to, have enough time to read the book. Plus, I'm fully aware that most of you have a lot going on right now and probably don't want to start a book within the next week.

So, if this sounds fun to you please leave a comment letting me know you'd be open to participating. If not, it may just be me and Peggy.

13 comments:

Lia said...

I loved that book. I think I'd have to read it again, though, to be able to have any kind of an intelligent conversation about it.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Right now I can barely hold a thought in my head, but I will try to remember to check it out at the library in January so I can participate. I have never read it. It isn't scary is it?

Penny said...

I loved that book! I would love to participate but I hope I remember enough about it to have an actual conversation in February!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Hi Tammie -- I'm going to try to read the book (no promises because I've been reading the same book for about two weeks now and I'm making no progress!). So, I'll touch base mid-January and let you know if I'm in or not. I think my problem is too much blog time and not enough book time. Hmph.

Dani said...

I just did a major inhale of excitement.

That book changed my life/death outlook.

Yes. I'm totally in.

Daphne said...

Yes! I loved that book! I'm in.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yippee! I think I will try to reread it. I am so glad I got you excited to read this book Tammie.

Now I will have perpetual guilt if you don't like it.
(Oh that Italian Catholic upbringing rearing it's ugly head)

:-)

Tammie said...

lia and penny: once the "conversation" gets rolling you may find you remember more about it.

not b: i dont think so but im not sure.

jolly: no problem. i'll probably post a reminder in a few weeks anyway. and as for the book you're reading now, maybe you just need to switch it up a bit.

dani and daphne: yay!! thats definitely the kind of enthusiasm i want.

peggy: no worries. even if i hate it, it was on my list of books i wanted to read anyway, you just lit a fire under me a bit. :)

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Oh, I loved that book. I read it when it first came out so I would need to skim it again.

R.H. Ducky said...

Yay! Great idea. I read the book a looong time ago, so I will have to reread it...but I'm totally in :)

hester said...

I'd love to join in. I started it once but didn't get very far for some reason so will have to try again. My big sister loved it.

tammiemarie said...

I've read it, but I'm with Lia - I'd need to reread to join in. No promises but I'll try to play along!

Barefoot_Mommy said...

oooh, I'm game.. I'm going to check the library and see if they have it.