Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What Really Grinds My Gears :: Part Six

I'd like to take a moment to share with you the one thing that is Grinding My Gears today.

I've mentioned here before that I have seasonal allergies. Seasonal allergies that last most of the year. Most days I try to ignore the symptoms and take nothing. Some days I take Quercetin because it's a bit more natural and when I take it I feel less like a drug addict. But on bad days, I have to bring out the big guns, the Zyrtec. When I take a Zyrtec I get relief almost instantly. Then why am I complaining?

Take a look at the Zyrtec packaging:
Now take a look at it after ten minutes of me fumbling with the packaging:
I know the picture is a little fuzzy, but notice that I'm no where near experiencing the instant relief offerred by the tiny pill.

Keep in mind that my allergies are worse in the morning which, even when I'm at my best, is not a good time for me. But when I'm suffering from my allergies, I wake up with my eyes pasted shut with goo, my ears, nose, and throat itch, and I'm likely to sneeze a dozen times in a row, at least. I'm literally blinded by my symptoms.

Why? Why people of Zyrtec? Why can't you just put your pills in a bottle like a normal pill company? And why on the outside packaging is this weird little pill contraption referred to as "easy to open"? Is this some kind of fucking joke? I can't figure it out. My husband can't figure it out. My kids surely can't open it. For whom, exactly, is this easy to open?

Strangely, I feel better now after venting about this. I'm thinking I'll just pre-open all my pills and put them in one of those old lady pill containers. Would that be weird? Does this mean I'm old?

16 comments:

Penny said...

My husband and I both get pretty bad sinus headaches and the ONLY thing that seems to help is Advil cold and sinus that you have to get from behind the counter at the pharmacy so you don't make Meth with it....I always feel sort of shady buying it.

I'm sorry about your allergies! Hopefully when you get to relocate they won't be as bad!

Daphne said...

I have that same problem with Claritin (which is the drug that works for me when I get allergies). Um, WHO exactly can open these weird little packages?

Sympathies. When I lived in Oregon I had terrible allergies. One of the few benefits of living in CA is that I have almost no allergies here (except to dust, which never seems to go away).

Karen said...

My husband takes target brand certirizine (zyrtec) and it comes in a normal bottle, and is a billion times cheaper than the name brand stuff.

I opened the medicine cabinet to confirm this and realized we have a lot of medicines that begin with a "z" sound (zyrtec, zantac, zoloft, xanax); what's with that? If any of them came in hard to open packaging my husband and i would both be in jail for assault.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

....tee hee.
I laugh because I live there too.

Okay this does not make you old...it makes you smart.

R.H. Ducky said...

it could be worse...the packaging isn't camouflage at least ;)

hope you get to feeling better soon!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

The packaging makes me crazy. Usually I need something to calm me down after I finally get the @*$# thing open.

Mari said...

It is so frustrating to try and open the packaging everything comes in. I have even cut myself on this crap. It is maddening!
Now I just have my kids open it for me.

Barefoot_Mommy said...

EXACTLY! WHY? WHY?!!!

alisha said...

argh! i hate those things too! and no, there's nothing wrong with using a pill box...doesn't make you older, just wiser ;)

Tammie said...

penny: i hope so. my allergies are mainly prompted by oak and thats all we have around here. a new environment would do me good for many reasons. and yep, ive had to go behind the counter before for another type. i know that feeling.

daphne: claritin is another fave.

karen: ill have to try the generic brand. im not a brand loyalist by any means.

victoria said...

I have to cut my prenatal out of the adult proof packaging with scissors. The photo you posted has got to be the worst I've seen to date. What the heck?! Look at the size of that thing! And the shape, it doesn't even make sense. I can only imagine the huge box those contraptions came in. It's not so much that it's a pain to get the freaking things out, but it's the enormous waste of plastic and other stuff that is clearly not biodegradable that gets me. Drug companies seem to be the least concerned with the environment.

My mom is a nurse for an allergist's office and I can not seem to think of any of the more successful aids she's told me about. Well, one is Astelin spray, but it's pretty harsh. Oh, I can set you up with samples, girl, just say the word. :-)

Hotch Potchery said...

As soon as I saw my sister posted I heard in my mind "the kind behind the counter"...ha ha, and she did say it.

I was going to ask if you just had to push the pill through the back, but duh, you probably tried that.

Simbelmynë said...

I think I finally have an answer to why those darn things come in those enormous bubble packs! It's to conceal the camera, filming an entirely new spinoff America's Funniest Home Videos: Pharmaceutical Edition!

I've been brought to tears in the morning by packaging. You're not alone.

Dani said...

It is rather ridiculous that I have to get out my kitchen shears...the ones that can cut through chicken bones to get drugs. This has caused me to say many naughty words in front of my sick children.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Love Zyrtec but I am cheap and buy the generic that comes in the bottle. So much easier!

Betts said...

Oh, I hate pill contraptions that are hard to open. When you want to take a pill, you really need it and don't want to be farting around with impenatrable pill vaults. (Using words like "contraptions" and "farting around" make me sound old. Let's be old together.)