Monday, November 16, 2009

Things I'm Into Right Now

When life gets stinky I really have to remind myself to stop and take notice of the little everyday joys, the things that make me smile even if just for a few seconds. Time for me to set aside a few minutes to focus on the positive:

*Last Saturday I checked the email account associated with this blog. I only do this about once a day because frankly, it doesn't get a lot of action. I'm glad I checked it though because there was a note from Mag giving me a heads up to the fact that Alec was going to be on the cover of Parade magazine. Yay!Without Mag's note, I probably wouldn't have found this since I tend to avoid my town's newspaper. (Sadly, in these parts, it seems that if it isn't about college football or rednecks having ATV accidents, then it isn't news.) The magazine, combined with Starbucks courtesy of Jay and the fact that the children slept in past 7, made for a really nice Sunday morning. Thanks again Mag! (Oh, and you should all pop over to Mag's because she's giving away two copies of a cookie cook book.)

*I told you we are on a Ricky Gervais kick around here, right? Jay and I have been watching Extras lately and it's given me the belly hugging laughs I have so been craving. (Also: This video clip of Gervais chatting with Elmo has made my whole family chuckle. Thanks Peggy!)

*My son is a bit of a nerd. He's given us his holiday wish list and most of the items can be bought at the office supply store. The other day Jay and I were there comparing label makers and I saw the Sharpie section. I couldn't resist testing out all the colors and I left the store with my new favorite pen. It's the Ultra Fine Point Permanent Marker in the limited edition color of pomegranate and I love it. Here's a shot of it with today's to-do list:(Notice how nothing is yet crossed off the to do list? Yeah.....it's hard to get motivated to do anything when you wake up, realize you have the whole house to yourself, and then decide to take a hot bath. It felt good, but it definitely wasn't the most invigorating way to start the morning.)

*Saturday I got a care package from Kashoan. I nearly flipped when I opened it and saw that she had knitted me a scarf.I've mentioned before about my failed attempts at knitting, but this scarf has me wanting to try again. It's quite possibly the softest thing in my wardrobe. She also sent some kick ass Skittles flavored lip gloss that smells so tasty I have to stop myself from just sucking it out of the tube.

Before I go I wanted to take a few minutes to thank all of you. For an introverted oddball such as myself, making friends has never come easily. Which is why the ease in which I've made friends through this blog continues to be such a surprise to me. Maybe it's because blogging holds an appeal to folks who are slightly off kilter? I don't know. I do know that not a day goes by when I don't think about you people. And when I'm aware that you are thinking of me-through a phone call, an email, a card, or a package-well, it just makes my day. I truly can't thank you all enough. I don't know what I'd do without my little internet community.

16 comments:

Barefoot_Mommy said...

he hehe, I love that the mirror in your bathroom is still all foggy from your bath. LOL

Awesome scarf btw! Someone told me once that when you knit or crochette a scarf for a friend you should make it the length of your open arms so when they wear it, it's like getting a hug from you! Now isn't that neat!?

Tammie said...

actually thats the kids bathroom and the mirror is just really really dirty. ha ha. honestly the whole bathroom was dirty and i cleaned it right after i took the picture. while i was taking it i kept thinking god its gross in here.
and that scarf tidbit is really neat.

R.H. Ducky said...

speaking of thinking about you...saturday evening we were sitting at the dining room table playing our drinking version of scrabble slam (yes, that is as dangerous as it sounds)...anyway the tv was on in the living room and i could've sworn i heard something about an alec baldwin cake in the movie yes man. of course i got up to rewind and double check, BUT instead of hitting rewind i somehow changed the channel and the quote was lost. so, is there an alec baldwin cake in yes man or was i hearing things?

and barefoot_mommy, the scarf thing is totally neat.

Tammie said...

ducky: i just googled it and got nothing. but hot damn its a great idea!!! keep me updated if you hear more.

Daphne said...

I love the scarf -- I only know how to do one stitch (knit, not purl) and I like to make fuzzy scarves like this. They're quick and fun and pretty. Every year I totally forget how to do that one stitch and have to learn all over again when I want to make a scarf. Yeah, not a big knitter.

I saw that Alec Baldwin photo yesterday and totally thought of you!! Also, Alec would totally not be able to resist you in that sassy scarf and your cute glasses. :)

(totally know what you mean about blogs/quirky people/introverts/thankful -- I am so grateful for the folks who stop by my blog! Esp. you!)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

WOW, a blog of everything I love, Ricky Gervais, Elmo, knitting, office supplies, lists, cake and in my mind that photo is of George.

Thanks Tammie.
:-)

kraftykash said...

Thanks for the mention of me, Mama. :D Im glad you like the scarf, cuz it looks great on you!! Enjoy your day. BTW I always make unfinished o do lists. I LOVE to recycle them!!

Dani said...

You look very cute girlie!

I adore scarves.

Sharpies rule.

victoria said...

Sharpie fan here. I didn't know they release limited edition colors! You've shown true product loyalty! The pic is cute! :-)

victoria said...

Since you do not check it often, I thought I'd let you know that you have mail. ;)

hester said...

Great post, Tammie. And a good reminder to me to concentrate on the happy stuff. Thanks!

That's a cute photo of you in the bathroom with the scarf and I'm so impressed that you cleaned it (ie the bathroom) Not the best chore in the world, hey?

Betts said...

I wish I could help you with your knitting. We could sit around sipping wine and talking... after awhile, you wouldn't care how your knitting looked.

tammiemarie said...

now i know how long to make my scarf that's almost finished! and, a hot bath?? what's that like? the last bath i took had three little kids in it too - not as relaxing. but still fun :) and i love that the internet has introduced me to another tammie!

Jessie Earth Momma said...

You and I need to get in on this care package action! Gimmie your addy so I can stalk you, er, mail you yumminess from Washington.

Karen said...

You have nice handwriting, I have the same exact glasses, and I totally agree about the blogoverse (I think it has to do with the fact that people who may not be sympatico can just pass right on through).

Tammie said...

karen: i think you're right.

daphne:you are the best. the.best!!

tammiemarie: i know! i never meet another "ie" tammie. also, my mom wanted my middle name to be marie but my dad vetoed it. how funny would that have been?

hester: it was disgusting. utter squalor.