Friday, November 13, 2009

Random Thoughts

In case you hadn't noticed, it's been a little quiet around here lately. I've been taking it easy this month, not only with blogging but with the computer in general. Last month's daily blogging wore me out and by the 31st I had very little desire to even turn the computer on. I never set out to take an actual blogging vacation, but unless something really exciting happens, posting may be sparse for a few weeks while I even myself out. But for now, here's a list of the randomness that's been on my mind:

*The other morning I was carrying my camera through the house trying to find the best place to photograph some worms (more on that in a minute) when the phone rang. I had a momentary mental shut down and instead of picking up the phone, I put the camera to my ear and said, "Hello." I may be losing it.

*Worms. As I mentioned before, our pet turtle has special food but he really loves worms. This is no big deal, it just means that everyday one of us has to go out to the yard near the compost bin and dig up a worm. Only now it seems as if the the worms have disappeared. I imagine this mass exodus came after all the worms had a little underground meeting where they discussed the giant monster that came out everyday with a shovel which resulted in the disappearance of one of their brethren. Whatever the reason, the worms are gone. Fortunately, Jay knows of a scary little local convenient store that also sells bait. Score. So yesterday he came home with this:That doesn't look too bad does it? Oh, but wait. Let me take them out of the bowl for you.I know, right!? Ugh. Keep in mind they are all alive and very squirmy. And long:I'm not normally squeamish, but these things totally give me the willies. When I need to get one, I have to reach into the wormy coil and pull on one until it's dislodged from the group. They have to be kept refrigerated, which I imagine is why they are all wrapped around one another--to keep warm. I'm guessing. Don't worry though, I labeled the container:
*I keep getting emails from a place called Body Candy Body Jewelry. Here is an excerpt from the latest message: Just in, Ultra Glitter Barbells and Labrets for only $1.99 you can't beat that price for this seasons hottest new looks! Going Clubbing? Ultra Glitter products are a must have! Hot, sexy colors with a sleek shaft, you can not go wrong! Hurry, these are going to fly off the shelves! Um yeah, that sounds totally like me. I don't know why I'm getting these emails. The only conclusion I can come to is that I originally went to the website thinking it was about actual candy.

*I'm very excited about the new Anna Maria Horner Little Folks fabric. It's beautiful. I want it all.

*Yesterday I was talking on the phone with Kashoan and she was telling me about the book Wicked. I always knew she loved this book and I remember when she went to the show, but she was talking about the book with such excitement that now I must read it. Her excitement was contagious. I love it when that happens.

*We are on a Ricky Gervais kick around these parts lately. Jay found this short essay about his thoughts on god. Even if you don't pop over and read the article, I found these statistics interesting: 75% of Americans are god fearing Christians; 75% of prisoners are god fearing Christians; 10% of Americans are atheists; 0.2% of prisoners are atheists. For some reason I found that fascinating.

16 comments:

Daphne said...

Oh, I LOVED Wicked (the book). I read it about 11 years ago (I know this because it was one of the first books I read when I moved to california) and loved it. Especially the beginning parts. Apparently there is a series of these now but I haven't read any others, just the one. I'm a big fan of the original Oz books too.

Worms are icky. I had a beta fish for awhile and he required these icky bloodworms. Gross. Bleah. It still grosses me out.

We miss you in blogland, even just quick updates!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

God Fearing is the phrase that gets me. If you believe in a God why must you fear him/her?
Mmm....

I love Ricky Gervais. And I love it even more when he giggles at his own jokes. Ever see him w/Elmo? It's a hoot as well as cute.

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I too thought Wicked (the book) was very worth the read. As Daphne mentioned there is a whole series now like The Ugly Stepsister, and so forth... however the only other one I've read has been Son of a Witch, the sequel to Wicked. I didn't care for it as much as Wicked though.

P.S.- YUCK! EWwww! Worms!

Daphne said...

Also, you might enjoy this quote: “All these fine Christian-type people that seem to think they know what God wants for all of us, that’s certainly more of a sin than anything they would claim about us. To judge people is one of the greatest sins.” Dolly Parton

I love her.

Shalet said...

Wicked (the book) is a great read. I definitely recommend it!

We have worms too - in a bin in our garage. When I remember I give them our leftovers.

:o)

Karen said...

Labrets? Egads. I had to sound that one out to have a clue.

R.H. Ducky said...

I can totally relate to the camera thing. I had a pack of cigarettes in my hand not too long ago, and it was roughly the size of my BlackBerry, and I have to admit that I almost answered my Marlboros.

You'll have to let me know if you enjoy Wicked. I've heard such mixed reviews about it, so I haven't read it yet.

Not Hannah said...

Those...fabrics. Those are so beautiful that I can't go back to her site ever, ever, ever, again.

Ever.

Tammie said...

ok....the general consensus is i need to get my hands on Wicked.

peggy: im totally going to go look up that elmo clip right now. jays at work, the kids are asleep or gone so now is the perfect time to do it without ridicule.
have you watched Extras? Jay and i have been doing it via Netflix and we love it. LOVE IT. im so sad that there is only a couple of seasons of it. it may be something i have to purchase.

daphne: i love dolly parton. at first glance she seems ditzy, but she seems to "get it" more than anyone else in the entertainment industry. i really really want to go to Dollywood someday.

not hannah: i know. scary beautiful.

Penny said...

I'm not usually grossed out buy bugs or worms but all those worms all coiled up is creeepy...and is it stupid that I sort of feel sorry for them?

Tammie said...

no its not weird. i sorta feel sorry for them too. i really dont like the idea of buying 'live' food for a pet. i know its the circle of life and all, but its just not my thing.

Maria Rose said...

When I was little I had worm "friends" and now I have a special soft place in my heart for them. I also had a family nails that were my friends, but I don't feel particularly sentimental when I see nails.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Wicked has been on my 'to read' list for a long time but for some reason it always stays on the list and never makes it to the top.

Ricky Gervais is great, isn't he? I love the clip with Elmo. I had to keep watching it because I was laughing and missing bits.

Worms...ewwww.

kraftykash said...

Did I mention you should read Wicked? hahaha Just kidding! I hope you do, I cant wait to see what you think. :D Im so glad that we found each other via blog land. You are a great friend to have. Please dont EVER take pictures of worms again or I might vomit. Oh, and I think that fabric is fabulous. I wont be clicking on that link anymore, or I might be tempted to buy. :D

Betts said...

Don't feel bad. The other day I stared at the tv remote in my hand for a couple of minutes before I realized I couldn't make a phone call on it no matter what button I pushed.

Not Your Aunt B said...

MUST read Wicked! MUST go to the show! It is fantastic! Love it more so than the Wizard of Oz because that's the kind of girl that I am.

Love Ricky Gervais. Genius.

And no more worms, please.