Monday, November 2, 2009

Micanopy Fall Festival 2009

We didn't stay at the Fall Festival very long this year. We arrived around 10:00 AM and left shortly after 1 PM with no arguments from the children, in fact they were both ready to go. I take this as one more glaring signal that Florida just doesn't have much to offer my family anymore. But we did cram a lot of fun into the short time we were there. (The girl exited this slide covered in black gunk, which Jay thinks was the grease and dirt of past children.)
We also crammed a lot of greasy, fatty festival foods into our faces.
(Fried Twinkie. Deliciously evil.)
My favorite part of the festival is going into the used book stores that line Cholokka Boulevard, the street where the festival takes place.I could easily spend a full day in the book shops alone. But that's hard to do with an antsy four year old on a sugar high. (I did manage to score a 50 cent copy of Summer Sisters though, which I'm anxious to begin. I've been wanting to read some of Judy Blume's more *adult* work. Have any of you read this one?)

So to sum it up, we all had fun but not as much fun as years past. I wonder if next year I'll be going to the Micanopy Fall Festival at all. Or maybe I'll be going to a festival in another part of the country. It's too soon to say.

As for right now, I need to go make a giant salad for dinner tonight. I hope to reverse some of the damage done by yesterday's dietary debacle.

16 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Oh yes, bookstores are my kryptonite!

Not Your Aunt B said...

I am all about fried twinkies. So good, but so so bad for you!

Daphne said...

You are going to love Portland. :)

Penny said...

I will admit that one of my favorite things about festivals or fairs is the food! When we lived in NJ they had a fair 2X a year and we would get two pieces of fried cornbread with a huge slab of mozzerela in between them OR fried Oreos...

CT said...

That photo of the book store got me drooling more than the twinkie one, I have to admit!!!!

Tammie said...

daphne: i know. i cant wait. time seems to be standing still.

penny: i want those foods.

ct: i know, right?!?

Hotch Potchery said...

I just licked my monitor.

Betts said...

That first food photo looked like fried brains. I'm guessing it wasn't.

Geez, you only took a day off after NaBloWriMo and you're back at it. I'm impressed.

Jessie Earth Momma said...

T,
Whenever our paths cross, we will hit up used bookstores and linger for hours.
J

Not Hannah said...

I've read it. It's a good one, but it isn't Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret.. It's hard to wrap your head around it. I love it, it's a Book Friend, but it is crazy to read.

Dani said...

Love the pic of the bookstore. Cool lighting.

I will admit to never having eaten a Twinkie. Don't tell Lia about it. It will be yet another thing on the list of food items that she plans on shoving down my throat when I turn 40.

alisha said...

oh i love used bookstores too! i haven't found one yet :-(

Bridge said...

Looks fun! Warmer than here that's for sure! That bookstore looks like I could get lost for hours with a soy latte and a sweater.

p.s. We are ready to have you in Colorado, what kind of job should we find you and your hubby?

Barefoot_Mommy said...

A)I have never had a fried twinkie and now I want one.

B)I thought Summer Sisters was a good book.

C)I want to live in the bookstore

D)I got your card today! Thanks so much for thinking of me!

Mothering Two said...

OMG, I am dieing to get out of Floriduh, too. I fantasize about it nightly. I'd have to get a really fantastico high paying job in Seattle or Portland {my two dream cities}, if I'm ever to make Hal feel it is safe enough/worth it for him to leave his career here and move our family out there. Working on it... only a matter of time at this point.

We missed our Fall Festival this year all together.

Mari said...

Looks like a great bookstore! It's bittersweet as your kids start to outgrow certain activities... there will be new ones.