Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I Had It All Planned Out

There is a tree at the entrance of my neighborhood that knows how to do autumn right. Up until a few days ago it still had all its leaves but they had turned a gorgeous, rich brick red. It was lovely. I had commented to my daughter that I needed to come back with my camera and snap a photo of the tree and somehow turn it into a blog post.

The girl, being the slightly obsessive kind, reminded me numerous times in the past three days to "take a picture of the red tree." Well, I waited too long. Today my beautiful tree was naked, beneath it a massive pile of red leaves. Oh well. It did serve as a reminder of the fleeting nature of the season though, especially here in Florida. Summer seems to last forever and then when fall does finally come the leaves are green and on the tree one day and then brown and on the ground the next. Next year, if I'm still here, I'll have to remember to take a picture of that tree as soon as I see it's red.

Anyway, instead of a brightly colored tree, I'd like to show you a few photos of items that are seriously coming in the way of me and weight loss:

Mushy Peas, HP Sauce, and imported candies! (In the top picture you'll notice that some of those are only candy wrappers....)

A long time ago Jay and I used to buy a lot of this stuff through the BBC America shop, but it would get expensive and sometimes the chocolate wouldn't hold up well in the Florida heat, so I'm always on the lookout for a place locally that sells these goodies. Imagine my delight when I saw all of this at a grocery store not too far from my house! I quickly loaded up my basket before common sense kicked in to ruin my fun and tell me I don't need all this garbage. They had other things I wanted too, like Hob Nobs, which are these delicious oat-y cookies with a thin layer of chocolate on top. Sigh. I may have to go back.

One of my favorites is the Penguin bar. Each one has a silly little joke on the wrapper. Such as:

Q: What do you call a Penguin in the desert?

A: Lost.

Ha. I love you Brits and your dry humor. And your chocolates. I really love your chocolates.

14 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

That is funny because I have a favorite tree too! Mine turns a gorgeous light orange, but I did manage to get a picture of it.


(This year).

Barefoot_Mommy said...

Either I just have a dry sense of humor or that joke is hilarious!! LMAO- "LOST!" bwah ha ha ha.

P.S.- I don't even want to THINK about all of the things standing between me and my weightloss. LOL

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I did the same thing with a tree in our yard. The red leaves are gorgeous and I wanted a picutre. I waited a day and it wasn't the same to take a picture of the leaves on the ground. Uh, maybe next year...

Oooooh, fancy candy!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I used to have this wonderful boss from the UK and he really hated what we called Candy. He thought our chocolates were rubbish.

After a holiday he came back to work with his chocolates. Oh. My. was he ever correct. Soooo much better!

But you see he created monsters with his sharing. We bugged him continually to give us more.
Thanks for reminding me.

I may now have to run out to that garage refridgerator and dig into my awful American left over halloween candy. :-)

R.H. Ducky said...

hmm, I also had a photo/blog plan that hasn't worked out as of it. This is mostly due to the fact that at the present time I can't seem to locate my camera. It's probably hiding out somewhere with my missing TN beer koozie. Not cool...but the search continues.

Maria Rose said...

Ha ha I love the joke. My dad just told me a Norwegian penguin joke, but it's too long to leave in a comment...

Daphne said...

1. You are hilarious.

2. What are mushy peas? do I even want to know??

(admittedly, I am someone who actually likes Vegemite...)

alisha said...

too think it's funny how you can make friends through your blog like that. if i haven't checked the blogs lately, i find myself thinking "i wonder if tammie's written anything else funny. . .what's kelli up to? i wonder if m. e. had another great artist's date." crazy.

Tammie said...

barefoot: HA

peggy: i know. there really is no comparison. everytime i eat some british chocolate i swear that ill never eat that american crap again.

ducky: have you looked near the camo can? hahahahahahaha

maria rose: i knew youd love that joke.

daphne: mushy peas are wonderful. they are basically just peas in a can slightly mushed but they arent peas like you and i know them. they're bigger and have a different taste and texture. i bet you could find a can somewhere in your neck of the woods. you'd probably like them.
ive always wanted to try vegemite.

alisha: i know. if i dont "hear" from someone for a few days i have to pop over to their blog just to check in and make sure they're ok.

Dani said...

Ha! A lot of that stuff looks familiar. My first real boyfriend from high school (that comments on my blog from time to time) now lives in Wales. He has sent me a couple of care packages with a variety of British goodies. I currently have a Cadbury milk bar (?) that must weigh 5 lbs in my closet at school. Since I can't have alcohol on school property I use it to get me through those really rough days.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Where did you find that stuff? My ILs are from England and always looking for Brit crap, um I mean food. Heh. Hitchcock's in Alachua stocks a ton of it but they live in Melrose so it's a good drive for them.

R.H. Ducky said...

of course...why didn't i think to look by the camo can? my ipod seems to have disappeared as well, maybe that damned can is really a black hole that is slowly sucking up all of my electronics.

R.H. Ducky said...

also, i'm going to need for you to post more jokes from the penguin bars because the lost penguin really cracked me up.

that is all.

Not Your Aunt B said...

The peas look interesting. To bad we can't virtually taste them all. I would like to try some of the chocolate.