Friday, November 27, 2009

A Few After Thanksgiving Thoughts

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday. I woke up to a note left by my mom informing us that they had gone to Miami to spend Thanksgiving with the boyfriends family. This was a last minute shocker, but I've come to expect this kind of stuff so I really wasn't as disappointed as I could have been. It just means we have a ton of leftovers, since Jay and I had bought and prepared enough food for seven people to eat until stuffed.

On the bright side, I really did have a nice day with just Jay and the kids. The house was quiet, we played games, watched the parade, and did art projects. After eating an early dinner, I took a nap. Here's the thing: Unless I'm sick, I never nap. It was wonderful. I may have to do it more often.

We started a new tradition of opening one holiday gift (preferably a smallish one) early, on Thanksgiving. We decided to do this mainly as a little pleasant surprise for the kids but in case you're wondering, I opened the package from my header and it's the latest Sookie book. (I was genuinely surprised by this because for some reason I thought it would be the most recent Barbara Kingsolver. I think Jay may have purposely led me astray with a Kingsolver conversation we had last week. Sneaky.) So, even though the day didn't go as planned, we made the most of it by just hanging out and enjoying each others company.

Today I hope to get some baking done. I really, really want to make the Pumpkin Bread over on Mommy Coddle. I've been dreaming about it. But to do so would involve a trip to the store for flour and I just don't know if I'm ready to leave the coziness of my house yet. Maybe after another pot of coffee.

Before I go, I wanted to share a bit of news. My best friend Dawn, who I mention here fairly regularly, has started a blog and I wanted to send you over in her direction. I was going to wait a while until she got her sea legs (that's an expression, right?) and had a few posts up. But I'm too excited. So please take a moment to pop over to the blog with, in my opinion, the best name ever, The Crack of Dawn.

12 comments:

Shalet said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving to you!

Carla said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm happy to hear that you had a nice day. I have become a champion napper with this pregnancy and they are great!

alisha said...

happy thanksgiving! i'm glad you enjoyed your time with your family. toasting you a virtual glass of shiraz :-)

Maria Rose said...

I am new to the world of napping as well, it's lovely.

Tammie said...

maria: isnt it the best? i feel as if ive been missing out all these years.

hester said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a holiday. Makes me wish we had Thanksgiving here.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful and a nap, too. Sigh...

Off to check out The Crack of Dawn.

Daphne said...

I agree, best blog title evar!!

Hotch Potchery said...

Oh, that totally sounds like something my dad would do. I understand your frustration, but I bet it was nice just to be you guys...

I like the Thanksgiving present idea...

Dani said...

I hope you had a grand day. Thanksgiving is my favorite because we keep it quiet on purpose. And naps are a must.

Let me know how that pumpkin bread treats you. I'm thinking of making a bunch on mini-loaves as gifts this year.

kraftykash said...

How nice was that to have the house just to your family? WooHoo for you! It sounds like a nice Holiday. :D

Penny said...

I agree with my sister, my dad is totally the kind to leave a note and take off...although he would probably just send a text message after the fact...


I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!