Monday, November 30, 2009

Book Review :: Flanimals

I don't often review kids books. For one, I don't think most of you would be into that sort of thing. Secondly, the standards my kids have for judging books are much lower than mine. If I left it up to my kids, they would only read books about poop and boogers. If a book actually has pictures of poop in it, well then clearly we have an award winner on our hands. Needless to say, our opinions don't often converge to the point of me wanting to write about anything they are reading.

I decided to bend the rules a bit for Flanimals. It was written by Ricky Gervais, who as you know I have a fascination with lately, and it's basically a humorous encyclopedia of fictitious creatures. I really wanted to pick only one Flanimal to share with you but it's hard since so many of them are cute and clever. My personal favorite is probably the Underblenge, who has a really great way of capturing prey but "Unfortunately, it can't catch anything as it can't move from the rock it was born on."
Then there is the Munty Flumple, who instantly falls in love with everything it stares at:The baby Munty Flumple:Another favorite is the Clunge Ambler:He shuffles around trying to cuddle things but because he's "weird and smells" he doesn't get a lot of action. (As a side note: I think my chihuahua might be part Clunge Ambler.)

After you're introduced to the various Flanimals, there's a chapter about Flanimal Behavior and then Flanimal Testing, which is a test about all the creatures in the book. (My son passed the test; I failed miserably.)

I love this book and think it's super cute, but probably more for older children. My son thinks it's "awesome" but the girl didn't quite get the nonsensical nature of some of the terms. She kept wanting me to explain things that are without explanation. So although she liked looking at the pictures, the joy that was to be had from the sheer silliness of it all was sort of lost on her.

There is a whole series of Flanimals books out right now and a pop-up book coming out in March that I have to admit I'm more than a little bit excited about.

7 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

I added this to my shopping cart for my nephew. I think he might like the nonsense stuff. He is really into nonsense words.

AND the sheer volume of questions he will ask about each critter will be funny. (to me).

Lia said...

Very cool. My kids would love that. I'll have to look into it.

Dani said...

I can see The Boy enjoying a book such as this. And then creating his own little Flanimals.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Very cool. I like it. I think Miss A, when she's older and can read, will like it too.

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I would love this. I have to have one. LOL

kraftykash said...

Great book! I almost sent you a book allabout poop (one you would have to send back) Its Kileys, and he kinda freaked out, "How do you know she will really send that back, its a good book, Kashoan?" LMAO I might sneak it in the next care package.

R.H. Ducky said...

that reminds me...


Q: What does a cannibal do after dumping his girlfriend?

A: He wipes his butt