Thursday, October 22, 2009

Scarf

Monday I was wearing a scarf, probably a bit prematurely since it's supposed to be back in the 80's soon, but whatever. The girl saw it and has asked me for a scarf every day since then. I think she assumes that since I can use a sewing machine, knitting a scarf is about the same thing. Sadly for me, it's not. (Although that didn't stop me from snatching up about 25 skeins of yarn off of Freecycle. Not sure what, if anything, I'm going to do with those since I sold my knitting needles at a garage sale last year.)

I've seen a lot of fabric scarves floating around the internet that I like the looks of (most recently the one in this picture) so I thought it would be easy to quickly whip up one for her. And it would have been easy had I not chose to use scraps of velvet. Here's the thing: velvet is really hard to sew with. As you're sewing, it moves A LOT. Even if you pin the bejeesus out of it, it moves and shifts. I didn't know this. Fortunately, for the making of a scrappy scarf nothing really had to be perfect so it was no big deal, only mildly irritating.My initial plan was for it to be longer and to back it in velvet of another color, but once I realized how difficult working with velvet was, I decided that would be complete lunacy and would drive me to begin drinking before noon so I had to back it with something entirely different. I chose the floral fabric that I used on the front, only I didn't have a lot of it left which meant I had to shorten the scarf. The shortness of it bugs me a bit, but I'm mostly pleased with the outcome. As the weather gets colder I'll probably try to make a few more, maybe even attempt to master velvet control.

You wouldn't know it by the above pictures, but the girl loves it. I know she likes it since she insisted on wearing it to school even though there is a high of 87 degrees today. I allowed it because I figured it was a step up from the plastic smiley face belt she wore over her dresses all last week.

16 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

She is just so cute Tammie. It's so great to see Joy out of something so small. Don't you wish we all still did that?

But honestly, it's always noon somewhere. :-)

Nowheymama said...

Pretty! I like the one SouleMama wrote about the other day, too.

Tammie said...

margaret: thank you. i know, i wish i could get as happy and as excited about some of the things that i excite her. sometimes i think ive completely lost track of how to be joyful.

nowhey: i did too. i really like the button closure on hers. i may adapt/borrow/steal that idea. :)

Not Hannah said...

Awesome! Yet another idea on what to do with the drifts of fabric that are taking over my dining room. Woohoo!!

Daphne said...

I like the single braid to the side. It sets off the scarf nicely. :)

(I am making stockings this year and will keep that in mind: no velvet. I have limited patience for sewing)

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I like it, even if it was a pain in the ass. I think I might try my hand at sewing scarfs since I can't ever committ to crochet or knitting. EVER. LOL

Karen said...

Very cute, and totally worth whatever frustration you endured in making. Love the little embellishments.

I've never sewn with velvet and now I'm thinking my mental stability is too fragile to survive the experience. I can't even handle knits.

Daphne said...

Also, I should add that I only know how to knit (not purl) and I forget how every time I make a scarf (that's all I make: scarves). However, if you get big fluffy yarn, you can make a nice scarf in a couple of hours. I usually make one each winter. And then forget how, all over again, until the next time.

Hotch Potchery said...

You are just.so.crafty.

I am quite jealous.

Betts said...

Oh, the trauma of velvet. Hate the stuff... never again.

beck said...

Hi Tammie, I haven't visited you for a while and I've missed you! I always have a laugh when I read your blog, you have a great take on life. Your scarf is adorable, as is the wearer. Well done for perservering with the dementing velvet, I would have chucked it out the window. But then, I can be a tad impulsive, and cranky. Have a lovely weekend xo

hester said...

Very impressive scarf. I think she has a great sense of fashion. I'm sure my Greta would LOVE a smiley belt.

Tammie said...

hester: you shouldn't have said that. now the belt is going in the package im working up for you. its your problem now im friend. ha ha ha :)

Aleta said...

I'm always amazed by what people can sew. I tried to sew when I was in high school, what a mess. I love the scarf and I think it looks adorable on her! Bravo!

Penny said...

I love the scarf and I loved how you made your daughters pants longer lots of posts ago and I keep meaning to tell you that, I wish I could sew because I would totally do that with my sons pants, it is so clever!

Dani said...

Cute! I am obsessed with scarves. I wear one almost every day during the winter months. I crocheted The Girl one last year. I think I will make us coordinating scarves...not matching...just coordinating.