Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Portobello "Burger"

Saturday evening my son had a friend over and for dinner we satiated them with various grilled meats. As hard as I may try, there really seems to be no other way to satiate boys of this age. Personally, I'm not much for the grilled meats. Occassionally I'll crave a buffalo burger or a hot dog, but mostly the smells, flavors, and texture of meat aren't tempting to me. I'm much more excited by cheese, or fresh bread, or a giant, brightly colored salad with lots of stuff in it. Anyway, because I wasn't feeling very meat-tastic, Jay grilled me up something special.

He took a portobello mushroom top, brushed it with a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, and sesame oil, and then threw it on the grill for 5-7 minutes. When it was done he topped it with pineapple and a slice of muenster cheese.
Of course the boys weren't interested in these 'burgers', but Jay and I thought they were delicious and filling. Plus, it made me feel as if I was part of the meat eating in-crowd that is my family.

Note: Jay says when you are grilling these, it's best to do it open side down for most of the time. That way you lose a lot of the excess moisture. Otherwise your shroom will be a bit too juicy and will destroy your bun. Now you know.

8 comments:

Layrayski said...

I admit I'm one of those greedy meat eaters but that's one yummy looking mushroom burgers.

Aleta said...

YUMMMM... I LOVE portobello mushrooms! I'll have to show your blog post to Greg. I'm not much of a meat eater. Don't mind a steak here and there, but I'm happiest with fish (we rarely cook it), but will eat chicken as well. Greg loves to grill, so though he REFUSES to eat mushrooms, he would grill me up one of these!

Daphne said...

That looks REALLY good.

Maria Rose said...

Oh yes. I love grilled mushroom burgers. The pineapple was an excellent touch!

Hotch Potchery said...

I am a meat eater, especially on the grill. Burgers, dogs, steaks, chicken, YUM. BUT, I also really like portabella burgers, and cheese and big salads.

I like the pineapple/munster combo...will be trying that soon!

hester said...

That looks fantastic. Jay truly is a gem. And...um...probably a dumb question but is a buffalo burger really buffalo?

Dani said...

That sounds really good. I myself am a fan of grilled meats...but I still like the non-meat variety of grilled fare as well.

I'll try this. Especially now that I am working on getting my pants to fit looser.

Tammie said...

hester: yep its really buffalo. it sounds weird, but its a lot like ground beef but with less fat. i dont have them often because its a bit more expensive than a regular burger.