Monday, October 12, 2009

Pecan Picking

It's been hot here. No one has been real motivated to do much of anything. Sunday we wanted to get the kids out of the house, but nothing seemed worth getting off the couch for. Then Jay saw in the newspaper that a man who owns a tree farm was inviting people to come pick pecans and chestnuts for only $1 a pound, so we decided to take a drive out to the country and show the kids some hard labor.

Well, turns out the labor isn't all that hard. There really is no picking involved. When the nuts are ready to be eaten, they fall from the tree and then you walk around pushing, in the words of the tree farm owner, a "picker upper." (The picker uppers sorta reminded me of those awful push and pop toys that every child seems to have at one time or another. I never realized those toys had an actual purpose but now I know it's to prepare your child for life on the nut farm.)The picker upper is made of thin wires that spread apart when rolled over something hard, thus catching all the nuts.
When your picker upper is full, you empty the contents into your bucket and start over again.The farm itself is gorgeous. Here is a picture of Jay and the boy under a giant pecan tree. Most of what you see on the branches isn't leaves, but pecans that haven't fallen from the tree yet.Even though it's only the beginning of the season, we still came home with six pounds of pecans, which will be more than enough to make a few pies from. I actually made a pie last night but because my family has no patience, we dug into it before it was fully cool and now it's not the most photogenic of pies. It's delicious though. I should know, I just had a slice for breakfast.

13 comments:

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I grew up on five acres of pecan trees. They really are beautiful! I need to go visit my mom and dad here soon so I can pick me up a bunch. And booo... we never had picker uppers when I was a kid. We just had to scoot around on the ground picking htem up ourselves. LOL

Tammie said...

ha ha ha. yeah, i imagine that way wouldnt be quite as easy. as it was, my daughter was complaining about the ants, imagine if she was at ground level! (shes a bit of a drama queen.)

Nowheymama said...

That? Is so cool.

Betts said...

I had a hankering for pecan pie even before I got to the part that said you made one. I'm glad there wasn't a photo or else today's window washing would have stopped to do some shopping and baking.

Aleta said...

Yum - Pecans! I smell a pecan pie in the making already! Your posts brought back some very fond memories. My brother and I used to walk in the neighborhood and go to the pecan trees, picking up the ones on the ground. Loved the pictures!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Mmmm....pecan pie. One of my faves!

Not Hannah said...

Pecan pie for breakfast...it's all so familiar. (I ate apple pie for breakfast all last week. The pecans in the freezer are now calling me.)

Hotch Potchery said...

I want to comment about how I love these activities you are finding to do with your kids...but all I want to say is

Life on the NUT farm.

ha ha ha ha. NUT farm.

Dani said...

Pecans will always remind me of my Mema. I hear she makes a mean pecan pie...but since I can't stand the things I will never know.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who lives with vultures. They have ruined many a food photo shoot.

Tammie said...

i wish i could invite you all over for pecan pie.
except for you dani. you get diet dr pepper and oatmeal cookies.

hotch: i love how you are mentally 10 sometimes. ;)

Daphne said...

"...I know it's to prepare your child for life on the nut farm"

I have to admit I laughed out loud at that. There is a nut store in San Francisco called The Nut House and it just cracks me up every time.

hester said...

You are so good at finding fun stuff to do that doesn't cost the earth. I filled a plastic crate with water this afternoon in the yard and it occupied Greta for a full 15 minutes. I'll have to try a pecan farm!

Dessert is the best breakfast in my book, too.

Tammie said...

hester: jay has been awesome about finding cheap/free things for us to do. it takes a bit more effort but the kids are having fun and its costing nothing.