Friday, October 16, 2009

NaBloWriMo: Halfway There

Wow. Sixteen posts in as many days. I have to admit that there is a small part of me that didn't think I'd make it this far, and it really hasn't even been much of a struggle. Although I probably just jinxed myself by typing that.

Even though I'm enjoying the challenge of writing everyday, I've discovered that ultimately it isn't my style and after the month is over, I'll probably go back to my regular schedule. Having to pound out a post everyday is incredibly all consuming. This blog has become all I think about. I flip flop between two mindsets: One in which I can't think of a single thing to write about, and the other in which I have half a dozen ideas floating around in my head that I'm trying to make sense of and organize in a coherent fashion. It's mentally exhausting.

Another negative is that I have less time to read and comment on other blogs. Not to mention the fact that I haven't been as good about responding to the comments left here. I genuinely consider a lot of you to be my friends, so I don't like not being able to "talk" to you as much as I had in the past.

There has been one main positive though. Writing everyday has forced me to.......well, actually write. It can be really easy to get into the habit of writing a few sentences and then filling a post with pictures and links and hitting Publish. Obviously I have no problem with this tried and true formula, I use it quite regularly. But it can't be done everyday. I realize now that I had fallen into a rut with my blog. Writing everyday has brought that to my attention and I've been forced to pull myself out of that rut and it feels good. I've had to think outside my comfort zone and maybe write about things I wouldn't have bothered with before. And I'm proud of that.

So, please forgive me for this small moment of reflection on the month so far. I'm anxious to see what the rest of October holds for me although I worry I'm going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel pretty soon. Frankly, my life isn't really interesting enough to warrant a blog post everyday.

13 comments:

Daphne said...

You're doing great. It's fun to read what you come up with. I had a similar thought yesterday -- my life simply isn't interesting enough to warrant a post every day. So then I start... *thinking*. That's always dangerous.

Keep it up! You're a great writer.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I think it's terrific that you're doing this. I missed a few of your posts while I was away but now I'm back to being a regular reader.

Oh, I forgot to mention this before...I like the new look although I wouldn't mind a bit of Mr. Egg every so often...

Penny said...

I'm going to try nablopomo next month, I've never done it and I expect I'll have a lot of photo posts.

I think you are doing great, and I love knowing I can check in and read something new every day!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Great Job Tammie.

I have enjoyed knowing there is something new every day.

And what you think is a not so interesting life is great for all of us because it's not ours. :-)

Aleta said...

I thought the same thing, will I actually make it halfway through, much less 31 days, but we're doing it! I think it's great, but... I'm not a blog post per day gal either. Three times a week post is good for me and gives me time to read and catch up with everyone else as well. I'm wondering though if I'll post withdrawal afterwards or just pass out knowing "I did it" on Oct 31st. Lol. Haven't missed a day yet (knock on wood)

Tammie said...

thanks everybobody for your kind words of encouragement. it's much appreciated. :)

aleta: yes, i wonder how i'll feel towards the end of the month too. i may need to take a hiatus.

Betts said...

I've been in a two day dry spell. I've only got 7 hours to churn out today's post. Wonder what it'll be. NaBloWriMo has pulled me out of what was a two or three month dry spell and it's making try to see the day in a different way... like trying to turn the mundane for me into the interesting for others. I'll be going back to four-ish times a week in November.

Not Hannah said...

You are doing great. I've missed a day and had several, "Uh. Busy. Bye." posts. Even now, I'm wondering how I'll squeeze one in between cookie batches tonight.

BUT--it's been cool getting to "know" you, so that's a plus for me. New bloggers! Yay!

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I think your regular everyday life is interesting! ... which should tell you a lot about my own life. LMAO

And in the words of Rob Schnider in every adam sandler movie he's ever been in: YOU CAN DOOO IT!

hester said...

I like your reflective posts! And I loved it a few posts back when you said "stellar". It's a great word!

Tammie said...

hester: thank you!

barefoot: ha ha ha..so true. whenever we watch a sandler movie we're always anxiously awaiting the arrival of schneider.

Maria Rose said...

Well, I love reading your blog every day or not.

Dani said...

I admire you being able to keep up with the daily posts. And they aren't boring at all.

I am now convinced that there is no way in hell I can do that until the summer when school lets out. Catch me again in June.