Tuesday, October 27, 2009

How I Met Jay

I'm running out of things to blog about. So I'm taking another blogging suggestion from Betts, and writing about how I met Jay. It was either this or give you a complete play by play of the 20 minute phone conversation about makeup that I just had with my best friend.

I met Jay when I was nineteen. We both worked at the mall. I was an assistant manager at Contempo Casuals and he was the manager at the store next to it, Kinney Shoes. (Both of these companies are gone now. Contempo was bought out by the Wet Seal corporation, which still exists. Kinney Shoes went out of business about 10 years ago.) To make a long story short, Jay offered me more money to work for him, so I left Contempo. Through working together, we realized we had a lot in common, we became close, and about a year later we were married.

I suppose the most interesting part of the story is that Jay was already married to someone else at the time, so for a while a lot of our relationship was secret and scandalous and involved doing naughty things in the back room of the shoe store. At the time, I was young and naive and I found myself involved in a whole lot more drama than I had ever imagined or, for that matter, wanted. If you know me at all, you know that I'm generally not a risk taker or a rule breaker so this was all new territory for me. For a while everything seemed really, really hard and I hated that in certain circles I was referred to as a "husband stealer."

All the trouble and drama was so worth it though because Jay and I are still together 12 years later, we have two cool kids, and he's not only my husband but my friend. No one calls me a "husband stealer" anymore. Well, no one but Jay's mom but she calls me by a lot of derogatory names so what's one more?

And for the record, I haven't had sex in the back room of a shoe store since. Although, since Jay still works in the shoe business, I could if I wanted to. But I don't want to. I'm classier than that now.

21 comments:

alisha said...

That is soooo funny! (Especially love that last sentence.) What a great story. I worked at a shoe store too...alas, I never experienced the pleasure of forbidden love in the back room.

I always tell people that my husband was my rebound. I literally gave my ex a big "F- you", went to the bar at which said ex worked, met my husband and have been with him every day since. I like to think it really made that guy think twice about treating me so crappy. He lost out on a great woman :-)

Daphne said...

It's jewelry stores for you, now, baby. Or nuthin'. :)

(what a sweet story)

Barefoot_Mommy said...

That is so funny. I got called a lot of derogatory names when Tim and I got together too. I guess it's because Tim was my ex's "best friend" according to my ex. He was really bent out of shape that after he cheated on me/left me, that Tim and I got together. He literally told Tim he could either date me or they could be friends and then got pissed when Tim broke the "guy code." LOL He still hates us. But in his defense there isn't much else for him to do in this small town. LMAO

Nowheymama said...

I love this post. And Kinney Shoes! There's a company I haven't thought about in awhile.

Karen said...

I am loving these posts, Tammie. How do you pull it off without being all "dear diary"?

What an awesome back story for your marriage. Also, I hate that I've never had sex in the back room of a shoe store, damnit.

Daphne said...

PS: if we're doing true confessions, I had sex in a bakery once. Floury. I don't recommend it.

Tammie said...

karen: thank you. i was starting to worry that i was boring people. and the back room of shoe stores are dirty and very dusty.and occasionally we got interrupted by customers. you arent missing much.

daphne: thanks for 'fessing up.
i was starting to feel like the dirty shoe store skank.

Hotch Potchery said...

Mr. P worked at a Kinney shoe store too, but we didn't meet there.

Daphne said...

Anytime. Shoe store is better than bakery, but neither is ideal. Retail space is just not very romantic.

Aleta said...

Well, aren't you something else! I never would have imagined you went through something like that! Wow. I'm happy for you that you are together and happy with each other. Greg and I did the Match.com route :)

Dani said...

Destiny works in amazing and sometimes sordid ways.

If you are a husband stealer then it sounds like he wanted to be stolen. And if you have been together 12 years I doubt it was all for a quick romp in the shoe store.

I love hearing about how people met. I will have to keep this in mind. Me and The Mr. have a crazy story as well.

Jessie Earth Momma said...

This is so cute!!!

Jessie Earth Momma said...

I had sex in the women's bathroom of a busy bar that my husband was playing a gig at. It wasn't a private one toilet bathroom either. When we came out, the girls were all "Classy!". I said word.for.word: "Fuck you bitch. He's my husband and in the band."
She said, "Oh. Sorry."

Gotta laugh at some of the crazy shit we do as youngin's.

hester said...

This was the best "how I met my husband story" I've ever heard! And it does sound like it was well worth all the drama.

I don't think I've ever had sex in a "retail space" so I feel a tad straight laced. (A few scenic waterfalls, though)

Betts said...

What a great story! I'm thinking the smell of new shoes gets you all excited since then. Hehe.

Four more posts... you can do it, girl!

Maria Rose said...

Scandalous! I'm talking about Contempo Casuals, what a name for a store.

Mari said...

Ooh, great story!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

This is great and I love your last paragraph! Kinney Shoes? My friend worked at one I'm going to ask her if she has any stories to share...

victoria said...

contempo and kinney shoes ... sweeet! Oh the scandal! Are you sure you guys left and weren't thrown out of the church!? ;-)

Anonymous said...

As Jay's former wife, I also find the story amusing, though maybe not in the same way as others. I'm glad you two are happy though, seriously. In the end, that's all you can really hope for for anyone. And it would've made the drama so pointless if you guys hadn't lasted.

Tammie said...

thanks romeli.
:)

i think all parties involved would agree they are in much happier places now.