Monday, October 5, 2009

House Guest

Thursday I went outside and saw this little visitor resting in the sun on the patio:I'm not certain how he even got in my fenced in back yard. Possibly a large bird had picked him up and then dropped him accidentally? Any other theories?

Of course the kids have gotten attached to him. Normally my stand on this kind of thing is that wild animals should be returned to the wild, but I have to say that this little guy has made me question my usually hard and fast stance on the matter. I truly have no idea where he came from to even be able to return him home. There are a few man made retention pond type things in my neighborhood but they're kinda gross and it's hard for me to imagine anything living in them. Plus, they are all quite a distance from my house. I have no way of knowing if that's where he came from. Besides, look how tiny he is.At the time these pictures were taken, we were keeping him in a large glass baking dish, but we've since gotten him an aquarium. (Thank you Freecycle. I checked my email Saturday and someone was giving one away. Couldn't have come at a better time.) We did our research and he has rocks to sun himself on and a fresh supply of fruits and veggies to eat. At some point I'm going to have to buy turtle food and dig around for earth worms. Apparently worms are a turtle delicacy. He's definitely going to be monitored closely and if it looks like he's not thriving, we'll probably take him to the retention pond. I'll keep you updated. Please remain at the edge of your seats.

17 comments:

verpmoca said...

Remember that "Lost Turtle" floating around the neighborhood a couple years back??? Maybe that's the one, hahahah!

Helen Ginger said...

I love turtles. Recently, I was up in MN visiting a sister and her daughter had a turtle in a big aquarium tank. It was a large turtle, though. She fed him turtle food and the occasional worm (fat. long ones). He had lots of water to swim in and a large floating thing he could climb up on to sun under the special light to keep his shell firm.

Incidentally, if you can, zip over to my blog. I gave you the Super Scribbler Award today.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tammie said...

honestly that actually crossed my mind too!

Sarah12730 said...

I wonder if he's just someone's rejected pet. I have heard from several sources that turtles can be rather.... uhh.... stinky. I would imagine this depends upon the level of care you're providing it, of course. Perhaps some mom in your neighborhood got tired of cleaning the turtle tank that her child had insisted he/she would be taking care of.

Not that that would be the RIGHT thing to do in such a situation, just a possibility.

Layrayski said...

I think thats the turtle that I lost. Haha I'll be waiting with bated breath ;)

Jessie Earth Momma said...

T, I love you! You make me smile!
And, I am on the edge of my seat.

Barefoot_Mommy said...

believe it or not it's actually quite likely that a bird dropped him in there. There is a book by Terry Pratchett called "Small Gods" where the great god OM reincarnates as a turtle and the bird thing happens to him. It's kinda funny because he gets all mad and tries to smite the bird but can barely manage a good smolder as a turtle.........right... and so ends my crazy rambling of terry pratchett novels on your blog. LOL

Nice turtle!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Does the little guy have a name yet? My nephew named his turtle Tigger Jesus. Fifteen years later and I can't forget that name...

Daphne said...

Aw. I would have to keep him, too. I love turtles.

Aleta said...

Awww, he's just the cutest little thing! I think it's sweet that you are taking care of him. I hope he takes well to his new home!

Betts said...

Good luck! My daughter would love to keep a turtle, but we have a pond full of them, so I told her we'd let nature take care of them and we'd just enjoy them there.

Hotch Potchery said...

I love turtles!!! He is very cute.

Dani said...

Oh. So cute!

The Mr. saved a huge soft shell turtle that was trying to cross the road a couple weeks back.

If you have any questions, The Mr. owns his own aquarium business. Feel free to shoot them our way.

He loves to feel as if his knowledge is beneficial to others. And he has a lot of it.

kraftykash said...

Hes very cute! Did they name him yet? Freecycle can come in handy, I shut off the emails because I found myself wanting to reply to everything. :D Is he here in time for the science fair? Just a thought.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

You know I LOVE turtles, right? He is so freaking cute! Turtles make great pets. Keep him.

Penny said...

That turtle is super cute, I'm with you on not keeping wild animals but I'm fairly certain I would have kept that guy too.

What is his name?

Mari said...

Oh my gosh, it reminds me of Peter's turtle, Dribble, in Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing! Has the boy read it? I loved that book when I was a kid...