Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween Meme

Stolen from Daphne.

Which urban legend ghost scared the bejeesuz out of you when you were a kid?
I was never really bothered by urban legends, but maybe I just never heard the right ones. Although not an urban legend, I was deeply affected by the shower scene in Psycho. I was almost 30 before I'd take a shower if I was the only one home. Even now, it gives me the willies.

Which horror movie has the best premise?
This one is hard for me because I tend to avoid horror movies, but I'm definitely more scared by things that could actually happen to me than I am of ghosts, monsters, demons, etc. Anytime a movie features a character that loses it and then starts offing random people, I get frightened. I didn't make it through the first 30 minutes of Scream. Deliverance also scares me so much it makes my stomach hurt.

What is the most disappointing “treat” to receive in your bag on Halloween night?
Necco wafers. Ugh.

What’s the best non-candy item to receive?
Having never actually been trick or treating I can't really comment on this one. But I would think that the acquisition of candy would be the whole point. Anything else would be less than exciting.

Did a monster live in your closet when you were a child?
No. Just what I thought to be a demonic Smurf.

Which supernatural creature sent chills up your spine when you were ten and still does?
I've never really been frightened by the supernatural. I'm much more scared of the seedy underbelly of society. People scare me. I have no idea what violence they're capable of. Clowns creep me out a bit too, although they really aren't supernatural. Well, unless they're possessed.

When I was a teenager a friend and I were driving down the interstate on our way home from a day trip. I looked over and the man driving the car next to us was wearing a full on clown suit. Wig, nose, everything. Why? What possible reason was there to wear a clown suit on the interstate in the middle of nowhere Florida. I remember being genuinely scared by that.

Which supernatural creature makes you yawn?
Most of them. Again, much more frightened of real, living people.

What’s your favorite Halloween decoration?
I like fall colors and pumpkins more than I like actual Halloween decorations. I don't really get into the skeletons and fake graves.

If you could be anywhere on Halloween night, where would you be?
Hmmm.... This is a hard one. I guess I'd have to agree with Daphne and say anywhere there is good people watching would be nice.

What’s the scariest book you’ve read so far this year?
I haven't read a scary book at all this year. Real life was scary enough. Maybe next year.

Haunted houses or haunted hayrides?
Neither. I don't like being startled. I will be the first to admit that I'm a total party pooper about this type of thing.

Which Stephen King novel/movie would you least like to find yourself trapped in?
Misery. Or maybe The Shining.

Which is creepiest: evil dolls, evil pets, evil children?
Evil dolls, without a doubt. Especially if it's a clown doll. Yikes.

11 comments:

Daphne said...

Of course it makes sense that you have never been trick-or-treating, but can I just say that that is very sad? Free candy!! What's not to love? Do your kids go? Are they going this year?

Tammie said...

i asked the kids if they wanted to go. neither seemed real interested. i think if i hadnt already bought a few giant bags of candy for the house, they'd probably be more motivated.

also, our immediate neighborhood doesnt get a lot of trick or treating action. last year no one came down the street at all.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Ha, Necco wafers made me laugh out loud. We only had them if we played church growing up.

I'm with you re: scary movies. Things that can actually happen scare me SO much more than monsters.

~Missy~ said...

Didn't even think about the fact that you didn't go trick or treating!! Ours love to go, though it is a big harder out here in the sticks..and just had to giggle at the google ad that got pulled up to go beside a post like this...on how to get rid of voodoo spells (too funny)

Daphne said...

I also forgot to mention in mine that for some reason, the alligator in the toilet (or alternately, the giant alligator in the NY sewers) was a big one that I bought hook, line, and sinker. I have to admit that sometimes I still check the toilet before I sit down.

Tammie said...

yes!!! i heard that one only with a snake not an alligator. a snake is much more believable so ive never fully recovered.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I hate to be scared. I don't get it. But I loved trick or treating as a kid. That was the only time we got to have candy are you kidding me? I gave my little sister the stuff I didn't like and she gave me the stuff she didn't like - and it was always the things the other loved. so it was a good thing!

I don't know why i thought it was funny about the clown in the car. I immediately went to Kramer on Seinfeld who was so afraid of clowns. It's not funny if it creeped you out. But you see I worked at a Shriners hospital for children one summer when I was about 17 and I had to be a clown, which I hated, but I drove home from work that way. I figured since I had a 2yr old sister she might get a kick out of it. But now I realize that I probably scared the bejeesuz out of a lot of people when I looked at them from my car and that just never occured to me!

Maria Rose said...

Have I ever mentioned that my mother-in-law has an entire room (yes a room) filled with hundreds of clown dolls. I am terrified of it and I refuse to be alone in their home.

Aleta said...

I would agree with just about all of your answers if I had to answer the same. I don't like being scared. I used to have nightmares from scary movies when I was little, so I stopped watching them. Lol. And like you, I can't stand scary clowns - freaks me out!

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I'm so right there with you on the scary movie front. The ghosts ones don't bother me NEARLY as much as the crap that could actually happen. *shudders*

Dani said...

We have similar feeling about what is scary. "The dark figure staring in my window" is always scarier than some crazy monster.

A good urban legend to check into: It originates in San Antonio, TX. It is said that back in the day (the 50's I think?) a school bus was hit while crossing some railroad tracks. To this day if you stop your car on those dusty tracks your car will for some unknown reason roll across to safety even though there is no incline. AND, on the back of your car you will find child size hand prints in the dust. I haven't tested it but it gives me chills all the same.

We always had church Halloween parties...make that Great Pumpkin Parties so I missed out on the trick-or-treating thing for the most part. After going with the kids, I don't think I missed out on all that much.

I'm cutting and pasting this. I need material for tonight. Consider this a treat from you to me.