Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Free Fun

Last Sunday we were looking for something fun and cheap to do. Jay came up with the idea of going to feed ducks. The pond we went to is a man made one right next to the hospital where the girl was born. You can see part of the hospital in the below picture right behind my ragamuffin children (and in the new header-which, incidentally, I spent way too much time on.). The building also houses a bunch of doctors offices, including the kids' pediatrician.The ducks that live here seem to have stumbled upon the best possible place for a duck to reside. As far as I can tell, these ducks are constantly being fed. They come up close and will eat right out of your hand:The girl liked this giant white duck and proceeded to chase it around the park area:I'm sure the duck was totally into it.

The only bad thing about duck feeding is that it only lasts a few minutes. Because once you run out of stale crackers and bread, the ducks pretty much don't want to have anything to do with you:After the ducks ditched us we went to Lake Alice to see the alligators.Maybe my family has just lived in Florida for too long, but the alligators seemed to hold our interest for about 4 seconds.
Note to self: Next time forgo alligator visit and just bring more stale bread for the ducks.

14 comments:

Aleta said...

Love the duck pictures (and the header by the way!). You're right, the food goes way to fast and then they leave to find someone else with food. We have a park and every now and then there's a mean goose that comes around and it will chase YOU. Lol.

Daphne said...

Header is beautiful... the alligators would have held my interest for more than four minutes, but I've only seen them in the zoo, so...

Nowheymama said...

Great photos!!

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I think your new header is awesome, so totally worth the gobs of time you spent on it. LOL

We love feeding the ducks too. We go to one of the local lakes with an entire extra bag of cheese puff just for the ducks.

Dawn said...

Love the new header!
Is this across from the mall?
The boys have been feeding a family of ducks in grandmas canal. Now the mama duck comes up to the patio and quacks for food.

Tammie said...

yep its directly across from the mall.

thats too funny. when i was a kid my mom fed a duck in our back yard. a few months later she brought her babies to the house and my mom has pictures of them swimming in an overturned trash can lid she had filled with water.

Penny said...

I love free fun too, especially without having a job! Eli loves feeding turtles in a park not too far from our house...although he tends to throw all the bread in the water in about 5 seconds...we also play in the yard a lot and go to neighborhood playgrounds.

Karen said...

Love the new banner/header. I'm so glad it's cool enough for you all to venture outside. Cheap/free outings are so much easier in the fall.

Hotch Potchery said...

AAAAH...now that my sister reads here too, if she gets here before I do then she steals my comments.

I wanted to say that we feed turtles here. dang it.

I don't know how to do those headers with the pictures, but I think my blog needs a facelift...

Dani said...

I like the new header. And kudos to Jay for thinking of some simple pleasure free fun.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

We love both of these activities. Have you ever visited the duck pond during the Christmas Season? They decorate it nicely.

hester said...

Yes....free fun is sometimes the best. Looks like the girl is having an especially good time. Sneaky looking alligators though. They give me the creeps. Would they eat a person, like a crocodile would?

Not Your Aunt B said...

One of my favorite things to do with the girls. We save our stale bread just for them. Beautiful park!

Dawn said...

Even the wildlife in Cape Coral suffers.

HAHAHAHA