Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Weirdos

I bought this book for the boy about four years ago. It had been completely forgotten about until two weeks ago when I was in his room helping him with his science paper and I found it under a stack of old comic books and magazines. While the boy worked on his paper, I played around with the book.

I can't draw at all. I've always been jealous of people that can doodle while on hold with the cable company or the IRS or whatever. I can't doodle. When I try to doodle my brain freezes up and I usually just end up writing my name in cursive over and over. I've read that excessive name signing means that I have an identity problem. Maybe. But honestly I think it's just because I can't draw anything else.

Emberley's books break down each drawing piece by piece. If you can draw circles, straight lines, and squiggles, then you can draw all the Weirdos in the book. Each step tells you what to draw and where to put it.Say I wanted to draw a goblin. I'd start at the beginnning:Follow all the steps until the end:Voila! My goblin:Okay. I guess he's not quite as menacing as the one in the book. I am pretty pleased with my Evil Eva though:She's damn scary.

There are quite a few different versions of the Ed Emberley drawing books. Around here though, we just happen to be partial to weirdos.

14 comments:

Barefoot_Mommy said...

So neat!! And I for one am glad that you are partial to wierdos... otherwise we probably wouldn't be friends. LOL

Layrayski said...

I like weirdos too!

Not Hannah said...

I, too, am a weirdo fan. I've always wanted to draw, too, as I feel the voices in my head would make a great comic book. Maybe I should hunt this book down. :)

Dawn said...

i love your goblin.

Daphne said...

Ooh, excellent. Weirdos are the best thing to draw, bar none.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

this is a cool book. I can not draw but I can doodle. I'm a good doodler in fact. So there ya go....it has done nothing for me in life though. So if you can't doodle you didn't miss much. :-)

Penny said...

I'm going to look into those books for my son, I think he would like those pictures and honestly my husband would have a blast drawing those little guys.

Hotch Potchery said...

Your weirdos were quite cute BUT scary, too.

hester said...

Now you can doodle with the rest of them!

Your new header looks fantastic! (Not that I didn't like the grumpy eggcup man)

Betts said...

What cool book! Even though I'm a doodler, I've stuck to the boring heart, flowers and geometric designs. I'm going to look into these books to expand my creativity.

Tammie said...

hester: thank you. i spent a lot of time figuring it out but i think its worth it. :)

Dani said...

I do those step-by-step drawings with my kindergartners. Some of them are not into the drawing thing and this helps them get in touch with the right part of their brain.

I like the weirdos. But I tend to gravitate towards them naturally in life. So there you go.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Love it. Would be perfect for my sister. We dig drawings like that.

Marmite Breath said...

My kids get this book from the library quite a lot. They love it!