Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Camera Dump and a Few Things Worth Mentioning

My bag of tricks is empty. I can't think of a single thing to stretch into a blog post. So I turned to my camera in hopes of finding some pictures that were interesting enough to blog about. Sadly, there were none. Yet here we are. Hmm. Funny.

Last weekend the temperatures remained in the sixties so we cleaned out the fire pit and started the first fire of the season. It was a wee, sad little fire but it made the kids happy. With cooler weather comes cats more apt to snuggle. This is Polly.Some of you may remember her as the cat that likes to pee on Jay when he's sleeping. She's since stopped that behaviour. Thankfully. I really didn't know if I could keep saving her from a one way trip to the pound. I've been told by numerous people that all calico cats are defective in one way or another, which would explain her affinity for using Jay as her own personal toilet. (That man really does deserve an award for patience.)

This is my old lady cat Isabelle. She's older than my son, older than my marriage.For the first time ever, she's really starting to show her age. She's still fairly active, but her coat is grayer and less lush. She's always been small, but now she looks bony. This has all forced me to think about the inevitable. I don't like to think about life without her because she's been with me for so long. It will be strange and sad.


********************************************************************

Before I go, I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your comments on yesterday's post. I love it when something I write here prompts a little discussion with everyone bringing something different to the table.

I also wanted to reiterate something I mentioned in the comments of yesterday's post: While I am in no way apologizing for what I wrote yesterday, I realize I may be more sensitive than the average person to the idea of religion being thrust upon me and my family. What might be easy for someone to overlook, will most often seem downright pushy to me, because I used to be one of those pushy people who thought that their way was the only way. Now, as most of you know, my beliefs tend to lean toward the agnostic/atheistic end of the spectrum. What it boils down to, is that when it comes to faith and religion, I wish everyone would do whatever it is that they need to do to get through the day, and leave everyone else alone. But I know that isn't the way it is. Which is why I'm sort of hyper aware of preachiness. I'll probably always be this way.

One last thing I wanted to address was the fact that about a month ago you may have noticed that I started moderating comments. This was done because I was getting spam. The spam wasn't malicious or anything personally directed at me, it was just irritating. So I began moderating. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't censoring comments. Fact of the matter is, if you leave a comment here, it will most likely get published. None of this may matter anyway because the spam has since stopped so I will probably soon go back to the old way, which worked better for me.

If you made it all the way to the end of this post, thank you. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something more interesting to write about. If not, you may see pictures of cats wearing clothes and photographed to look as if they are doing people things. Pray (to whomever you pray to) that it doesn't come to that.

14 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I want a fire pit.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You make me smile.
Well said...

Tammie said...

nowhey; i know you do. weren't you guys working on getting one?

margaret: thank you. i thought i needed to clear up some things... :)

Mari said...

I want a fire pit too! I'll put that on the "endless projects that I am incapable of completing before I die"™ list.

R.H. Ducky said...

Umm, I totally want to see pics of the cats wearing clothes and photographed to look as if they are doing people things. I think that would be hilarious...or maybe I'm easily amused.

Tammie said...

mari: yes my list is quite long too. sigh.

rh: dammit! i was banking on no one wanting to see that!

Daphne said...

Nice. And cute kitty pix.

I find that cats very much enjoy silly hats. They also like to dance, puppet-like, to "Tequila". (that's Cleo's favorite, anyway. I should make a video)

Barefoot_Mommy said...

LOL- I actually really enjoyed this post... but what can I say.. I like to hear about people's cats. Maybe I'll even post my own blog about our cats. Fires and firepits are always awesome. I love mine. I was going to post some pics of it today as well. I swear.. I'm not copying you. LOL And if I am.. is that really a bad thing?

Aleta said...

Awww, I like your old lady cat. She looks so sweet. She makes me think of Pebbles, Greg's 16 year old dog. She has spirit, but her age is showing.

I didn't read yesterday's post, but if it has to do with religion you might -not- want to visit mine today, totally about religion - BUT also about a friend, so I thought it was safe enough.

Not Hannah said...

I'm thinking that many of us are starting to morph into the same person. Which is cool, I guess, except I don't really know any of y'all and it will be unwieldy what with all the fire pits and cats and cloth napkins and unfinished projects hanging off of us.

*runs off to look at the discussion I missed yesterday*

Karen said...

I vote for pictures of cats wearing clothes. Only ten more days! You can make it!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

That cat is so pretty. I have a dog named Isabella, I love both names.
I am DETERMINED to have a fire this weekend! I love the smell of fire in the cool fall air. I kind of wish we had a fireplace.

victoria said...

well, i've been referred to as a weirdo hippie and I don't take it personally. If I refer to a group of people as "redneck bible thumpers" and a random person takes offense ... well, you know, whatever. I wouldn't sweat possibly offending the more angry/sensitive people out there that may take things a bit too seriously. I have a lot to say about raising my child here. Like, how 'bout, I don't want to? The problem for me is that "there is no other way but the Christian way". As Rumi says, "I'm neither Christian nor Jew nor Buddhist, etc." I dislike the guilt and control that can be so irresponsibly thrown around. Jesus isn't in to it either, he really isn't. Have a great day, Tammi :-)

Dani said...

I want a fire pit too.

I can't believe your cat uses your man as a toilet. He must have a halo above his head to keep from pitching that cat across the room.

I relate to Isabelle. I have my Sophie. What would we do without them?