Saturday, September 12, 2009

Things That Moved In With My Mom's Boyfriend:: Part Three

My mom's boyfriend is in the landscaping business, but for him it's not just a job, it's more of a passion. He knows the common and scientific names for all sorts of plants, trees, and weeds. When he moved in he brought books and dozens of little laminated cards with leaf samples on them.My favorite horticultural related find that he brought is this: It looks dead doesn't it? It's called a resurrection fern and it's growing on a piece of a tree branch. It can survive for a long period of time without water, but once it gets wet, it becomes green and lush again: (You can read more about the resurrection fern here.)

Not only did the boyfriend bring his stuff, but he brought his expertise as well and has kindly and tirelessly worked to spruce up our yard. Along with the usual mowing and weed whacking, he's trimmed trees (we have a lot of trees), shaped bushes, and filled the yard with bird feeders.

Now when neighborhood kids come around wanting to work on my yard for a few dollars, I can say, "Oh no, I'm not in need of your services. Thank you, but we have a man on site who takes care of all of that." I reckon I'll sound pretty darn fancy.

16 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Glad to hear he's earning his keep. ;)

Tammie said...

ha ha...you're too funny. yes, he's already done way more than my moms ex, and he lived here for two years!

CT said...

LOL! I looove that line! you do sound indeed as a lady from a Jane Austen novel would!!!

he's a keeper! (pun intended!)

Barefoot_Mommy said...

How neat! I wish I had an on site lawn man... as it is we had someone stop and knock on our today to see if we needed a lawn service (again). Tim looked out over their shoulder at the waist-high grass and said, "Why? Does it look like we need our yard cut?" *laughs*

Tammie said...

ct: maybe ill say it in a british accent.

barefoot: ha ha..thats how it always was here too. jay doesnt mind doing yard work but its not like its his favorite thing. this past summer he was working a lot and the grass got really high---our yard became very snake friendly.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

...a man on site who takes care of all of that...

Definitely sounds fancy (and nice...I would love to know what's growing in our yard).

Carla said...

Hmmm, sounds like a good person to have around.

Barefoot_Mommy said...

Yeah, our yard work goes unfinished a lot because Tim has to work swing shifts and it's hard for him to get around to it.... so our yard often becomes unsightly. Occasionally I can bribe my little brother to come out and at least mow the grass... but it's rare.

Dani said...

Score!

Landscaping and a thigh master? You are one lucky lady.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Send him my way! I need someone like that!

hester said...

He sounds excellent and it sounds as though you are living a life to which you could become accustomed (spelling?). Would he like a holiday in Australia? Yard tidying in exchange for free bed and board for a week?

kraftykash said...

That sounds very fancy! You should have him help the boy with the science project.

Mari said...

Oh my gosh, such an improvement! I love those ferns.... anything mossy, ferny or spore-laden is right up my alley.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I am GREEN with envy. I need a lawm boy and a pool boy. Do you need to have a pool for that? :-)

Betts said...

If yoiu get sick of him, send him here. I've got some gardens that need cleaning up.

Maria Rose said...

Cool that he's doing your yard work. I need a yard boy too because this far along in pregnancy my skills at bending, stooping and squatting (all required for yard work) are getting more than a little comical.