Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Things I'm Into Right Now

So, the boyfriend has moved in and it's been less of an ordeal than I had originally envisioned it would be. It's a change of course, but that's life. Also, let's not forget that this is a change that will hopefully keep our plans of leaving Florida on track. Definitely a plus. It puts me in a mood to focus on the positive.

Things I'm Into Right Now:

*Crystals week with Edward gave me a good gut busting laugh and I highly suggest you pop over there. Pay special attention to Day 2, it was my personal favorite.

*Sunshine Cleaning-Definitely one of my top ten movies of all time. I laughed, I cried, and everyone in it was brilliant.

*The Graveyard Book-The boy and I are reading this one together. It's the story of a child raised in a graveyard. I was so excited when I finally saw this at the library. I may have actually ran towards it.

*Cloth Napkins
When I started sewing last year, cloth napkins were one of my first projects. At that time we were going through upwards of twelve rolls of paper towels a week and I really wanted to cut back. Those original cloth napkins have held up well enough, but the way I make them has evolved over the past year. I now almost always use this pattern because it produces neat, clean napkins with minimal fuss.

I had been wanting to make more napkins for the last few months but couldn't get motivated. My sewing area is at the front of the house in one of the warmest rooms and this past summer I just couldn't drag myself in there to use my machine, much less the inevitably needed iron. But, our napkins were looking rough so when the kids started school I cut some fabric and made more napkins.
Do you want to know a little secret? My napkins are quite imperfect. They are never uniform in size and in fact they are rarely perfectly square. Mostly this is because I'm lazy, but it also has to do with the fact that I like to use every last bit of fabric I have on hand. All the above napkins were made from scraps of leftover projects or clothes. The purple one on top was made from one of the girl's long since outgrown dresses, the black and white checked one was once a shirt. Is it wrong that I make napkins from old clothes? I keep telling myself I'm going to buy some nice fabric to make a couple sets of napkins to use when the kids aren't around---but seriously, when are the kids not around? I have a good 10 or 15 more years with these little people.

So tell me please, what are you into right now?

16 comments:

Barefoot_Mommy said...

I really got a big kick out of the "week with Edward" blog. That was hilarious

Daphne said...

Ooh! Fun stuff. I will check out the Week With Edward when I have more time. I was just thinking I need to make some cloth napkins. I used to have some... they somehow all got lost. I like the idea of making them from scraps of fabric. I don't have many scraps of fabric, however...

I'm into re-watching Buffy right now. We are totally hooked. I'm also into thinking about Fall decorating. And menu-planning again. And the color orange. Are you sensing a theme?

Nowheymama said...

We LOVE our cloth napkins.

I'm into planning fun lunches for my daughter's lunchbox.

Hotch Potchery said...

Are pant legs or shirt sleeves considered to be cloth napkins? If so then we like those too.

I am into ThirtySomething, FarmTown on Facebook, and GLEE!

Maria Rose said...

I too am into using up all of my scarps. I always end up making weird sachets and such.

What am I into right now? I am absolutely out of my mind with this nesting instinct. Need me to clean or organize anything for you?

beck said...

Love your napkins, and the way they are all unique. Why bother buying new fabric when you can use up old items like you have? What am I into right now? Making my lavender hearts and some little birds using blanket scraps. Small projects suit my scrambled mind and make me feel like I am actually achieving something! xo

Tammie said...

barefoot: its funny isnt it?

daphne: i do sense a theme. i can feel fall in the air..can you? am i imagining it? :)

nowhey: i admire your devotion. im already into "just throwing crap in the lunchbox" mode.

hotch: you are too funny.
i actually want to rent thirtysomething. i was like, 10 when it originally aired. and now i am thirtysomething.

maria rose: if you were a bit closer id totally put you to work.

beck: thanks. im glad you see the appeal of using older things. sometimes i think it might be weird to wipe my face with a napkin made from a piece of clothing. :)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love the Traveling Edward concept!

Dani said...

Those napkins rule. And you aren't weird at all. I save all our old shirts, etc. for some future project that remains unnamed. I have had "napkins" on the list forever. Maybe if life quits getting in my way I'll make them.

I am stealing this idea. I haven't had time to craft, take pictures, bake, or as of the last two nights cook. I'm out of material. If you want to see what I'm into right now you can visit me at my place...in a little while. Right now I have to fold some laundry. Damn laundry.

isaac said...

you should do a giveaway with some of your napkins. I am into:
some vampire show on HBO that I watched in the hotel last weekend and hoping someone can invite me over.
cooking fish tacos several times a week with the roasted green chile from the farmer's market.
hiking with other ladies and our dogs.
avoiding housework again.
spinning class Mondays and Fridays.

Crystal said...

I am into-
-No cook dinners
-Chocolate pudding with cool whip
-Reading, Velva Jean learns to Drive
-Your blog
-Naps

Thanks so much for the shout out about Edward week. Made my day! :)I am going to go get that graveyard book today. Sounds great.

Tammie said...

isaac: welcome. sigh. fish tacos are the best arent they? and avoiding housework is always on my list.


crystal: thanks for popping over. your edward week has been ruling my world. :)

Not Your Aunt B said...

Love the week with Edward. Love cloth napkins. Must make my own now. I used to just buy them from Sam's because they are so cheap and white and bleachable, but making your own is way more fun. I'm into that.

Betts said...

I've been wanting to make napkins but wasn't sure how without a serger. I'll be checking out that pattern. Yours are pretty even if they aren't perfect.

Layrayski said...

oh my goodness that day 2 was freaking funny! haha I first saw day 6 and was a bit taken aback at the miniature edward. Thanks for the linky link Tammie =)

Had a laugh picturing you running towards the book. Wahaha

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Cloth napkins out of old clothes? I LOVE IT! I love cloth napkins, I have old clothes, we're a perfect match. Not only that, I'm trying to be — "green" and I LOVE (no, I really do) LOVE to iron. Thanks for the inspiration!