Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Just A Little Bit Longer

So, I bought these jeans for the girl at a thrift store. They were one of our usual brands and her usual size. But when I got them home and put them on her, they were short. Not capri length short, that would be cute. But awkward, nerd length, short.

Well, you can't return things to the thrift store and I was pretty pissed that I spent $2 and had nothing to show for it. (What? I'm cheap.) I looked around on the internet for a tutorial on adding length to kids pants, but just couldn't find anything that excited me. Don't get me wrong, there are tutorials out there, but a lot of them involve ruffles. I'm just not down with ruffles. Especially ruffles added to denim. No. So the jeans sat on top of the dryer for a few weeks until I could decide what to do with them.

Then on Monday I saw this post on Salt and Chocolate and I was immediately inspired by her "mama embellished pants." Yes! Embellishments that aren't tacky. So I got to work.

Since I was adding length and not just embellishing, my fabric section is longer than Mary Beth's, but I still love the look.I chose some navy ticking striped fabric because I really wanted these pants to be as subtle as possible. I didn't want them to scream out that they used to be too short.

I wish I could tell you how I did it, but honestly I just played around with it until I found a look that pleased me. I measured, cut, ironed, and pinned over and over again. The process took me all day, but the girl was home sick so this pants project was what I did in between emptying the puke bucket.

The girl is quite happy with the pants I *made* (ahem) for her. Even Jay was forthcoming with the compliments, although he thought the stripes were prison-like. Frankly, I think that's fitting considering my parenting style is quite warden-like.

13 comments:

kraftykash said...

I go towards embarass your pants off parenting style. Warden like is good too. Those jeans are so cute! I cant even tell they are handmade. You go girl!!

Daphne said...

Very cute, they look like adorable little turned-up cuffs. Great job!

Hotch Potchery said...

Those are completely clever!

Barefoot_Mommy said...

LOL- "nerd length short." Ha ha... but seriously, those jeans came out so cute!

Layrayski said...

That is one pretty embellished pants! Awesome!

And hahaha warden like parenting style? you crack me up.

Nowheymama said...

Cute!

Karen said...

I love ticking stripes. Not at all prison-like; I'm getting more of a railroad conductor vibe. And I totally can see how that would take all day to figure out--the results are very professional!

Becky..AMHW said...

I have boys so lengthening needed to be masculine. Adding more denim to the bottom and denim pockets to the knees which patches them at the same time? Boyish!

You can always trim short jeans and make a matching top. It's cute.

Maria Rose said...

Thank you for avoiding ruffles and denim, the world has far too much of that combo...or at least WY does.

Tammie said...

thanks everyone for all the pants love. :)

kashoan: i may have to adopt that parenting style when the girl gets older. i think being embarrassed by me and her dad are the ony things that will motivate her to behave.

karen: thanks. i like ticking too. if i had let the girl pick im sure she would have chose something gaudy and pink or flowered.

becky: i always love all of your ideas. you should write a book.

maria rose: yes, florida is overrun with tackiness as well.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Those kinds of jeans were very popular around here a couple of years ago. Even the adult girls were wearing them (including me and I always opted for the more quiet prints). Super cute & groovy.

Dani said...

I love them! Very cute.

And I hope the puking soon ceases.

Sarah12730 said...

Warden-like? ha.