Thursday, August 27, 2009

Random Thoughts

Clearing my head:

*I'm slowly adjusting to my new schedule, learning to better manage my time, and resigning myself to the fact that sometimes some things are just not going to get done in the time frame I'm used to (I'm looking at you breakfast dishes still in the sink.) I think that the hardest part of this new normal, is that, throughout the day I find myself really missing my son. Now that he's in middle school, he doesn't get home until almost 4 PM and then has at least an hour of homework. School is really cutting into our family time. This will be another adjustment we'll have to make.

Plus, I don't consider myself overprotective, but I'm the type of mom that can't fully relax unless I know exactly where my children are and what they are doing. So this longer day is stressful for me.

*This afternoon on the way to pick up the girl from Pre-K, I saw a dead cat on the side of the road. I hate seeing that kind of stuff to begin with because it breaks my heart, but I was listening to Carly Simon at the time and pms-ing, so I started crying in the car. I really wish I could plan my life around my menstrual cycle. Everything would be so much more bearable.

*This morning I went and got my haircut. My usual gal wasn't there, only an older woman I had never seen before. I sat down and she asked me what I wanted. I told her what I tell everyone, "A pixie cut, short and tight." Then she said, "Oh, like Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby." I nearly jumped out of my seat, because that exact phrase used to be how I would describe what I wanted to hairdressers, but I stopped because I got tired of being met with blank stares. She went on to tell me that she had actually been working for Vidal Sassoon at the time that he had given Mia Farrow her famous haircut. I found this fascinating, but maybe that's because I don't get out much.

*Right now I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible. When I wrote about wanting to read all the books on NPR's List of 100 Beach Books, so many of you suggested I start with this one. I'm loving it but it's definitely one of the saddest books I've ever read. As much as I'm enjoying it, it may end up being one of those books that I just want to run from and can't write about here. We'll see though, because I would like to "talk" about it with others who have read it.

*Speaking of books, CT tagged me a few weeks back. Here are the rules:
1. Collect the book you have most handy.
2. Turn to page 161.
3. Find the 5th complete sentence.
4. Cite the sentence on your blog.
5. Pass it on to five other blog friends.

Now technically, the book I have most handy is The Poisonwood Bible, but the fifth sentence on page 161 wasn't all that interesting on it's own so I went over to my "To Be Read" stack and pulled out Eccentric Glamour-Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You by Simon Doonan.

The fifth sentence on page 161 reads:
When young ladies-especially those attending the nation's most prestigious colleges-are growing sideburns and having double mastectomies, is it only reasonable that one should be able to confront this issue head on by asking, "Are you Arthur or Martha?"

I'm going to break the rules a bit by posting the next two sentences as well. They're just too good.

I personally would welcome this revision to social etiquette. Being on the petit side, I am constantly being mistaken for a woman, especially if I wear a tightly belted trench coat and over sized dark glasses.

You gotta love Simon Doonan.

18 comments:

Karen said...

That Simon Doonan quote was exactly what I needed this blah afternoon. I'm not sure I even understand what the hell he's talking about though.

Daphne said...

Carly Simon, dead cat and PMS? I'm surprised you didn't just slit your wrists right then and there.

I loved Poisonwood Bible, but it is sad. It's very sad. However, it's pretty amazing. I love the jungle imagery.

I would like to be more fabulously, eccentrically myself... maybe I ought to read this book.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I could never get past the first few pages of that book. I may have to try again after you finish and tell me how it is so worth plugging through.

Ah but to the shallow important stuff....do you like your haircut?
I find you very brave to have your hair cut by someone new and while PMS'ing.
Damn woman you're my hero.

Nowheymama said...

I'll discuss the Poisonwood Bible with you!

Not Your Aunt B said...

I've always wanted a pixie cut, but don't have the hair or face for it. Cute!

Dani said...

I am lucky. The Boy and The Girl are at work with me each day. The Boy does not think it's such a good thing. I always know the trouble he's in. The Girl will soon feel the same, I'm sure.

I had my hair cut like that for years. I loved it. The Mr. really loved it. Then I started not liking the way I looked in pictures with it really short. So now I'm back to the bob.

I read Poisonwood Bible. I hated it at first and then really enjoyed it. I'll discuss. I might need to look at it again. It's been almost 10 years since I read it.

Simon Doonan is too cool for school. His partner is Jonathan Adler. I collect Adler pottery.

Tammie said...

im so glad some of you want to discuss poisonwood with me. i have a lot of questions and thoughts about it that I just don't know if I could put into a review type format. ill probably end up writing a post and then we can "discuss" it in the comments section. i only have a bout 75 pages to go so it should be sometime within the next week or so.

daphne: i think you'd probably enjoy simons books. they certainly arent brain surgery but they are fun fluff.

peggy: i love the haircut!! she did a great job and in less than 15minutes. you cant beat that.

kraftykash said...

Middle School Transition is tough for both students and parents. Hang in there. I like to ask about every class, it drives Kiley crazy. But then I just know what my kids are doing.
This new schedule is hard to adjust to, I agree. Kalen is leaving at 7:15am and I pick him up around 5:30 or 6pm after FB.

Hang in there!!

Mari said...

I remember crying my way through that book. Really good, but very sad. I was pissed off at all of the parents. Like Dani, I read it so long ago. Should be an interesting discussion!

Bridge said...

So post that new haircut already!

Maria Rose said...

I used to sport the Mia Farrow cut and I loved it. Did the old hairdresser do a better than usual job?

hester said...

Such a complex post I don't know where to start. Your boy is so lucky to have a Mum who loves him so much. I know that uneasy feeling when you're not quite sure if your child is ok. Sometimes I have it when they are here!

I never know if it's a good thing or a bad thing when you have PMS and a song (and/or dead furry animal on the road) makes you cry. Probably good for us on lots of levels.

I think I'll have to reread the Poisonwood Bible. I remember eventually loving it and the language but can't remember the details. Was there a really bad incident with a snake?

burpandslurp said...

Hahaha! I like this Simon Doonan! He sounds like the type of person I would love to hang out with.

And hm, didn't know parents are that protective over their children...what are you going to do when they go off to college? :/

Tammie said...

hester: yes! there is a terrible incident with a snake.

burpandslurp: sit in a corner and cry of course. ha...no college is quite as ways off still for my kids and its all a gradual process...letting go a little bit at a time. it just takes some getting used to initially.

monty said...

durpee

Tammie said...

who invited you here? ;)

hester said...

Monty...what does "Durpee" mean exactly?

Tammie said...

ha ha...i think its just a nonsensical word he made up. im going to have to cut off his commenting privileges.