Friday, August 7, 2009

Phoebe Bags (Sort Of)

Last week, on my worst day ever, I made numerous attempts at making this bag. Aside from (and possibly because of) all the crap I was dealing with that day, it just wasn't a good time. I couldn't concentrate at all and I incorrectly cut my fabric pieces not once, but twice. I was quickly getting close to not having a large enough cut of fabric to make a bag at all, so I threw down my scissors and called it a day.

The next day, life wasn't so hectic so I had another go at it. A few hours later, I had a Phoebe bag. Sort of.I say "sort of" because I didn't follow the pattern exactly.

For one thing, I didn't put the darts on the bottom. I wanted to, because I really like the shape that the darts give the bag, but having never done them before I was a little scared. Secondly, I didn't use a magnetic snap. Snaps, along with darts, zippers, and proper button holes, are things I haven't bothered to learn yet. It's not that I don't want to learn them, it's just that I'm not quite there yet, if you know what I mean. As I've been teaching myself to sew, I've learned that I really can't put a lot of pressure on myself or rush the process because I'll inevitably end up stressed out and accomplishing nothing. Plus, at the time I was making this bag, I really wasn't in the mood to learn anything. I just wanted to expel some creative energy.

It ended up being a learning experience anyway, because I had some major problems attaching the handle.My first attempt resulted with the handle being sewn inside the bag between the outside and the lining. Not good. So I had to rip out some stitches and work out a new way to attach the handle. All ended well and I'm pretty sure you can't even tell that I had to improvise a bit with it.

At this point I became unstoppable. I wanted to make more and master the handle. Even though the last bag turned out fine, I was a little pissed that the handle had gotten the better of me. But I didn't have any large enough cuts of handbag appropriate fabric. So I Frankensewed a bunch of scraps together to make a big hunk of fabric and the following day I had this:I tried to choose fabrics that matched, even if it was in a mismatched sort of way. As you can see, I didn't add the darts on this one either, but I did come closer to adding the darts. I held the pattern up to my fabric and marked where they should be, but then chickened out. (Baby steps.) I actually like this one better than the first, I think because I had to get more creative with it to make it work. The lining is the only thing that isn't patchworked together, it's just a small floral print that matches some of the outside pieces:My favorite part by far is the handle.I had large enough scraps to make it out of one type of fabric, but I took some extra time and patchworked it as well and I really think it makes a difference. Oh, and attaching said handle? Mastered it!Now about those darts.

(If you want to make your own Phoebe bag um....the right way, the pattern can be found over at artsy-crafty babe.)

19 comments:

veronica said...

It looks REALLY good! You did an awesome job, Tammie!

CT said...

Hey girl! those bags turned out so pretty! I specially like the one you Frankensewed!!! it looks adorable!!! congratulations!

Daphne said...

Adorable! You are inspiring me! I especially like the second one.

kraftykash said...

The handle confused me too. The
2nd way is way too cool!! Thanks again for guest blogging. I read them both while I was gone (just couldnt comment). You did such a good job. :)

I just finished finding my way out of the mountain of laundry and am on to blogging.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Very cute! I have a great idea...make another, do a giveaway and let me win it! Sound good?

Dawn said...

I love the bags! The floral fabric is one of my faves.

Mari said...

Well, they turned out great!

Karen said...

That patchwork bag is incredible. I had to do a double take after you said that it wasn't a single piece of fabric. You have such a good eye for combining fabrics.

As for darts, just think of them as pleats that you're sewing down. They're really not hard. And if they look crappy, just unpick them.

(Buttonholes, however, can bite me)

Dani said...

To begin, I love "frankensewed". I will be using that from now on. Both look great, but the second one is my favorite. It has a personality of its own. If bags in fact have personalities.

I love the bag that I am currently carrying, but it has seen better days. Maybe I should give this one a go.

Maria Rose said...

Oh yes, I think you've really come a long way with your sewing skills. I am sure you can handle some darts in the not too distant future, but no matter what those bags are beautiful!

Sarah12730 said...

I like the patchwork one better, and having one piece of fabric for the inside seems appropriate when the outside is several pieces. Looks good, like it was intentionally planned that way. You're doing really well with sewing, MUCH better than I have. I still have to have my husband set the sewing machine up for me and come along to help anytime there's a change in, well, anything. Also, I haven't tried sewing for well over a year. I don't like not being able to instantly master something. It's kind of one of my faults.

Also, your care package is all ready except for one item. I just have to find this ONE thing, and you'll have a box full of nifty things on it's way to your doorstep!!

Jessica said...

I really do love that patchwork bag!

Tammie said...

thanks everyone for all the bag love. you guys are awesome!

hester said...

Why I am always last to comment? The first bag is gorgeous and the second bag is gorgeouser. (You've also inspired me to make up a word but it isn't as good as frankensewed). That rosey posey print is my favourite too.

Layrayski said...

Tammie its really good seeing your sewing skills develop. And I like what you did. Pretty. Amazing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Catching up on my blog reading been away. Love, love love the bags Tammie. I can't sew a lick. I am so envious. You did an awesome job. Just got myself a refurbished Janome to try to teach myself to see....I fear it may go the route of my treadmill....the perfect clothes hanger. I barely made it through home-ec in sewing class....better with the creative cooking class.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love the second one, just because of the color, they're both nice.

Betts said...

You underestimate your skill. You could so do zippers and darts... If you were in the right mood

Sonia said...

i can't wait to make this bag. Got to finish a few projects first. I like your pieced bag a lot! Great job :)