Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New School Year

In case the complete lack of posting lately didn't tip you off, let me announce that I'm having trouble adjusting to my new schedule. School started on Monday and the boy is in middle school and the girl is in preschool until about 1 PM. I'm spending a lot of my time in the car going to and from schools. (My kids are so far apart in age that they will never be in the same school.) It's such a change from last year when the boy rode his bike to school and the girl only went to preschool twice a week. Now I have different places to be at certain times everyday and it's taking some getting used to. I really think that I'm going to have to sit and write down a schedule (at least a loose one), if I ever plan on getting anything done. For example, it's 3 PM and my bed probably isn't going to get made today. (edited to add: my bed didn't get made today.)

I think part of my problem is that I had this huge mental list of things to do as soon as the kids went to school-sewing projects, books to read, general house stuff I wanted to accomplish, etc... but the list got too long and I've ended up doing none of it. Plus, Jay's finally had some time off of work and we've been enjoying not having kids around. We've gone thrifting together and out for coffee. The last two mornings have been quite relaxing.

As for school, yesterday my son announced that he hates middle school. He doesn't know his way around the buildings and he has a hard time finding his different classes. Not to mention the fact that, as a sixth grader, he's the little guy on campus again. Such a change from being a fifth grader who ruled the elementary school. He came home today in better spirits though so I'm hoping it will all get easier for him. He's made some new friends and he says he likes his teachers so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will improve.

So........thats about it. Hopefully I'll have my heinie in gear well enough to write about something interesting soon. Well, maybe semi-interesting.

9 comments:

Daphne said...

So glad you and Jay have had some time together!! I remember hating middle school too. Does anyone like middle school? Bleah.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Aah, relaxing mornings with the hubby. Nothing better!

Glad to see you back!

Hotch Potchery said...

Enjoy your husband time, there is always time later for work!

Mari said...

Middle School sucks for everyone. Glad the boy had a better day today! It's a huge adjustment. My kids go back to school tomorrow. I have a huge list of stuff to get done! Maybe I should make a schedule... ha ha

Nowheymama said...

Maybe you can tell us about your thrifting finds!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Nice that you and Jay get time together before your shuttle service starts.

Glad your son had a better day at school.

Tammie said...

daphne: i know. i still have nightmares about it. an awful time of growing up.

mari: i highly recommend it. i keep thinking i have all this time to do stuff and then i look at the clock and realize i have to get back in the car.

Maria Rose said...

A little thrifting with the hubby is always time well spent.

Dani said...

I hear ya!

The beginning of the school year is my "tax season". New schedules for the whole family throw everything off.

Lord, I miss summer.

So does my blog.