Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Listing

Watching:: Doubt. AMAZING movie. Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Meryl Streep. Even if you aren't interested in the plot, it's worth watching this movie just to see the back and forth between these two incredibly skilled actors.

Finding:: Backyard wildlife. Frogs and toads, birds nests, a pregnant snake, and creepy crawly bugs of all kinds.
Plus, a critter of some type has been picking the last of my tomatoes off the vine. My plants aren't looking all that great to begin with and my own personal growing season is almost over so I was anxiously awaiting those last few tomatoes. Imagine my disappointment when I went to pick them and they were gone. I have been able to get a few organic limes off the tree though. If only I could learn to distill my own vodka, I'd never have to leave the house.

Reading:: Women Who Eat. Eh, it was lackluster and I probably won't be reviewing it here. I didn't like it or dislike it enough to bother writing about it. I also just finished A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs, which I couldn't put down. I'll definitely be writing about that one soon. As a side note, I just reached my reading goal of thirty five books. I'm thinking I set my goal much too low but I'm interested in seeing how much more reading I do now that the pressure to reach a goal is off. As always, what I read can be found on Goodreads.

Loving:: The gap toothed grin on this girl and the enjoyment she got from a visit from the tooth fairy. It's going to be a sad day when she no longer gets excited by shiny quarters.

Tightly Holding Onto:: Moments of summer silliness. For various reasons this has been a difficult summer for our family. Probably my worst season ever. But something that always made me chuckle was my son and his backyard movies.

School starts next Monday. There will be no more quick wardrobe changes in the backyard. I'm going to miss being his camera woman.

Anxiously Awaiting:: Fall and cooler weather. I'm starting to find acorns on the ground so that means fall is right around the corner. Right? Humor me with this one.

14 comments:

alisha said...

i can't wait for fall either!

Tammie said...

i hear ya alisha. this summer really kicked me in the can and im ready to move on.

Karen said...

I keep saying "only six more weeks of summer. Right? RIGHT?" Maybe it's even less than six weeks where you are.

Aleta said...

Enjoyed your post and recap of your feelings. I'm SOOOO looking forward to fall too!

Veronica said...

is "the girl" starting kindergarten this year??? MJ is anxiously waiting for school to start. She has been totally bored this summer. She misses having a yard and running around with your boy and Sophie.

Hotch Potchery said...

To me, it is Fall. School has started back, and the best part of fall, FOOTBALL, is a mere 2 weeks away!

Nowheymama said...

I've been wondering about Doubt. I'll have to add it to my list.

Tammie said...

karen: i know. six weeks. im hoping it will speed by but i know better.

veronica: no, she wont go until next fall. but she is going to go to vpk for 1/2 days.

hotch: yep, my husband is counting down the days until football as well.

nowhey: i highly recommend it.

Jessica said...

Doubt has been on my list for a while...I do need to rent it! I'm looking forward to fall in a huge way (I can admit it here!)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love Augusten Burroughs.
And acorns=fall works for me!

hester said...

Is that just the neighbour's house over the fence in the backyard photos? It looks like a cool shack in the woods! I'm sure the boy is destined for an Oscar one day and then he'll say "I'd like to thank my awesome mum, Tammie".

Mari said...

I love Augusten Burroughs, very funny and very touching! The soundtrack for Running with Scissors was great, even though the movie didn't match the book. Still, it had Alec, the highlight for sure!

CT said...

I really want to see that movie!

And I agree with Heather, one day, we will be watching movies and say "Oh! the mum of the award winning director is my blog friend!" and you will be attending the red carpet event and look down on all of us.. jk! LOL!

hey, I tagged you on my blog! this should be interesting...

Dani said...

Sure it's around the corner. It's just a very wide corner.

I am mourning the passing of summer break as well. I will miss those silly moments with the kids. Despite the tent fiasco it was fun spending time with them and their crazy selves.

I'm almost done with Twilight. I am leaving The Mr. and looking for a vampire to cavort with. Not really. But the thought has crossed my mind at times.