Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'm In Love

Yesterday I mentioned that Jay and I've spent the last two mornings hitting the thrift stores. Thrifting here in Gainesville tends to be hit or miss, more often a miss. When I first moved here I thought college town=wasteful students=thrift store heaven. For things like furniture or housewares, it's great because college kids think nothing of buying that stuff and then just leaving it behind when they graduate or flunk out. But clothes are another story. Oh, college kids buy nice clothes, they just don't properly take care of them. I can't tell you how many times I've come across things I love that are my size, only to see that they've been shrunken to Cabbage Patch Kid proportions. So disappointing. So whenever I head to a thrift store on a clothes finding mission, I go in with low expectations. Which, I suppose, is why this week has been so exciting.

Monday I went to the Goodwill closest to my house and saw this dress immediately:It was in mint condition and I loved everything about it. The shape, the style, the fact that it's casual enough for everyday but could easily be dressed up, the dainty flowers, the colors, the green ribbon tie and trim throughout....sigh. It was the dress made for me. Except, that the size tag puts it at about three sizes larger than what I would normally wear. Now I tend to be (ahem) lenient when it comes to clothes sizing. If I like something enough, I try to make it work. But three sizes? There was just no way. So I put it back and sadly walked away.

Well needless to say everything else in the crappy Goodwill paled in comparison to my dress. So after a few minutes of looking at shrunken Forever 21 clothes, I went back to the dress. I held it up to my body...it looked my size. So I tried it on and it fit perfectly! I was ecstatic and have been on a little high ever since bringing it home. Sometimes I go in my closet and just stare at it.

Also found on our thrifting trips: clothing items for Jay and the girl and a skirt and shirt for myself. Honestly though, nothing else nearly exciting as the dress.

13 comments:

Daphne said...

Wow. I LOVE THAT DRESS. Great find!! I have definitely learned that with thrift clothes, the sizing is just an estimate and you really have to try things on. Yesterday I found a perfect brown raincoat, new, with tags still on it, for $10. I was THRILLED. (it was, since new, true to size, which is fortunate)

Becky..AMHW said...

When I was in college we used to hit the thrift store pretty heavy. Not for clothing to wear...but awesome 70's clothing to collect! I bagged a ton of good costume clothes for mere quarters, including a three piece brown velvet suit and an orange polyester bodysuit, ala Charlie's Angels and a purple faux fur coat!

I also bagged a ton of new, unused sewing supplies and gently worn patterns. People buy supplies for projects, never get around to them, and eventually donate them to goodwill. I am still using a package of 100's of zippers, all lengths and colors, perfectly new, that I bought for five bucks. It's a great way to find trim sometimes.

Nowheymama said...

LOVE. Thanks for sharing!

Barefoot_Mommy said...

No wonder you're excited! That dress is a great find! Our thrift stores don't carry much in the way of ANYTHING clothing or otherwise... however if you are ever in need of warped tupperware lids, they have those in spades. LOL

Not Your Aunt B said...

So pretty. I don't know what kind of people live around here, but the thrift stores are full of either grandma or hoochie stuff. No thanks. Your dress, though, I would love to find!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I love that dress! Great find.

Maria Rose said...

Great find! I love the green ribbon

hester said...

The dress is lovely. Now we need a photo of you in it, but I reckon that's not going to happen. You'll have to go on another coffee date with Jay, now.

Dani said...

I don't think I wore many things that didn't come from a thrift store from my junior year of high school through college. It was part of my angst/anti-establishment phase. My standard were really low back then. If the jeans were Levi's they were mine. Usually they were falling off of me. My mother was so happy when I finally bought a coat that hadn't been worn by other people.

The dress is really pretty. You should model it! If you can model the Hooters pantyhose you can model this cute frock.

Oh. Expect a package from me soon.

burpandslurp said...

Wow, that dress is so pretty! You'll look positively ethereal in it. Glad you gave it another chance!

Aleta said...

That is a lovely, spring fresh dress and I can see why you went back to it. I don't trust dress sizes. Always best to try it on. What a find!!

Jessica said...

I love, love, love that dress--I'm hitting the thrift shop tomorrow and I hope for half as good luck!

Tilly said...

Glad you got the dress - it's gorgeous. I think I would have bought it anyway, if just for the fabric.