Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Things I'm Into Right Now

It's been over a month since I've done a Things I'm Into post. Truth be told, it's been rather difficult for me to find things I'm into lately. There has been a lot of drama with the extended family the past few months that has taken up far too much of my time and mental energy, not too mention probably years off of my life. I'm sure I'll one day write about it all here, because that's how I do things. But right now it's too fresh, the wounds too raw. So for now I'll take my mind off it all by dwelling on some things I love.

*The fact that my daughter has taught herself to play the chorus to Pop Goes the Weasel on the piano. I'm amazed she did it without any help from her brother. She now plays it all day. Which leads me to believe that this exact same paragraph is going to appear in a What Really Grinds My Gears post in about a week.

*Mad Libs
My son loves these and this appears to be the summer of the Mad Libs. Being that I'm the one home the most, I usually get to join in the fun. (Note the tiny smidgen of sarcasm in that last sentence.) I do get a chuckle out of some of the words he chooses:Do you see "penis" and "farting"? Yep, those are favorites. Other go-to words include: humping, anus, vagina, and poop.

When I complained to Dawn about the potty language I had to deal with when playing with an eleven year old boy, she said, "Actually it doesn't sound all that different from playing Mad Libs with a 40 year old man." I think she's on to something.

*Make Your PlaceIf you read Angry Chicken, then this isn't the first time you've seen this book. I bought it after she mentioned it because it seemed like something right up my alley. Plus it was only $5. It's filled with all sorts of earth friendly and inexpensive recipes for gardening, body care, cleansers, and first aid.

Some of it is info I'll probably never use---I doubt I'll ever make tinctures. But I definitely plan on using the bath and body and non toxic cleaning sections until the pages are soft and worn.

*The new law that states that honey sold in Florida can be only that...honey. No pesticides, no additives, sugar, or water. I'm thrilled. There should be such strict standards about all foods.

*Liz Lemon and banana peels.She has taken to stealing them out of the compost and then playing with them. I suppose this behaviour is actually naughty and I should get on to her for it, but there is just something about her racing around the back yard with a banana peel in her mouth that makes me chuckle. I don't know which of us is more easily amused, Lemon for playing with them, or me for getting such enjoyment out of watching it.

17 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I was wondering about that book. Now I think I will put it on my wish list!

Aleta said...

I understand going through the emotions, but not being able to blog about it until you have calmed down. That helps but writing about it raw is good therapy, even if just to yourself and not on the blog. *hugs*

Had to laugh about the Pop Goes the Weasel and what will grind your gear. Lol. There are a couple of songs I learned on the piano that I played forever and a day, driving my brother nuts.

Liked how your friend said the same is true for men. Might have to try that game with Greg and see what he comes up with. Lol.

Hotch Potchery said...

Those words are the same ones that my sister and I use when WE play MadLibs...yeah, we went through a phase that we would send each other Madlibs via email....

Daphne said...

Ok, fine. I'm totally buying that book. I think my mom would like a copy as well.

My brother taught himself the theme song to "The A-Team" on the piano when we were little. From my experience, you WILL be soon adding it to your 'Grinds My Gears' post. Sooner than you think.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I'm going to check out the book. We'll be watching for the next installment of Pop Goes the Weasel...

kraftykash said...

Kor has a sponge bob mad lids that she just rediscovered yesterday. She has not discovered some of those words...I give her til the end of summer. :) Your dog is so cute!
Hope things are calming down at your place. Just remember Im always thinking of you. :)

Mari said...

Aww, make a tincture, come on! I love Liz Lemon with the banana peels...maybe she wants to be a stand up comic, that or she's low on potassium.

Tammie said...

nowhey: i highly recommend it. especially for the price.

aleta: thank you. :) i think you and greg doing mad libs is a perfect blog post idea.

hotch: are you sure you arent an 11 year old boy. ;)

daphne: ok. thats annoying. as a side note, growing up i had a huge crush on Face from the A team.

kash: i just looked up that mad libs and may have to buy it. we are HUGE spongebob lovers around here. and the potty language happens quickly.

mari: have you made a tincture?! i love liz lemon. :) she really is my daily cheerleader.

beck said...

I like that kind of naughty dog behaviour! Who wouldn't like to run around the garden with a banana peel hanging out of your mouth?? Sounds like fun. Good on you for focusing your energy on positive things while still acknowleding that you have been going through a tough time with your extended family. I think I'm coming to realise that things don't often run smoothly but that doesn't mean it's all bad. The fun, happy and silly things are still there if you look for them. Take care xo

DysFUNctional Mom said...

My sister and I used to LOVE Mad Libs. I think I need to get some books for the family.

hester said...

Ummmm...I've never heard of Mad Libs in my life but get the general concept.

Your daughter is very clever (and obviously musically gifted). And Liz Lemon is so cute. Kipper once discovered a really smelly egg in the compost. That was not cute.

Dani said...

That dog is cool. What's not to love about an old semi-composted banana peel?

Kudos to The Girl. I wish I could play more than the opening to "The Entertainer".

Potty humor is just funny. I admit to laughing at it myself. Sometimes I am the one starting the avalanche.

I hope you are in a better place. Expending mental energy on all of "that" is no fun at all.

beki said...

Should I admit that I'm the one who has taught the potty humor to my kids? Note to self: get Mad Libs!

Maria Rose said...

Banana peels! That's cool.
I also wanted to recommend that you try making your own Mad Libs, it's way more fun!

Carla said...

Ah - kid's and their songs. Great for the road to insanity!

Carla said...

Ah - kid's and their songs. Great for the road to insanity!

Betts said...

We used to play x-rated Mad Libs when I was in my early 20's. That was a hoot.

On a serious note, I had a sweet dog die a couple of years ago from getting into compost and have heard of a couple of other dogs meeting the same fate. Some molds are deadly, particularly pasta and dairy molds.