Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just. Breathe.

Yesterday was one of those days. The kids couldn't get along and it was either too hot or too rainy to send them outside. They were bored with their toys, bored with the TV, bored with the food we had in the house, and bored with me. I had loads of laundry to do and even more to put away. I was on day four of painting the living room green. I had been trying to get a moment to clean the ring off of at least one of the four toilets in the house. My seasonal allergies, which seem now to last through all four seasons, have been awful. And the whole house smelled like the cat's litter box.

When Jay came home from work early I thought surely he'd pitch in. But he seemed to be oblivious to all the clues that something was very wrong. He took a nap in his underwear and then brought a giant floor to ceiling bookcase inside and began tinkering with it in the living room. The half painted living room.

Needless to say, I ended up exploding a short while later and we now have one less dinner plate.

Later on that evening, after I had apologized for acting like a crazy possessed demon and Jay had apologized for being a giant dumb ass, I mentioned I wanted zucchini bread. It was one of those casual, flippant statements that I really didn't think much about. I had been reading a blog at the time, saw some fresh zucchini bread, and just thought it looked really good.

Jay said, "Well babe, tomorrow you are going to wake up to the smell of zucchini bread."

I replied, "Whatever. I'll probably just wake up to the smell of your farts." In saying that, I wasn't trying to be mean, it's just that the idea of Jay getting up, trekking to the store for zucchini, and coming home and baking bread all before having to be to work at 9 AM, just seemed impossible.

But Jay did the impossible. He found my zucchini bread recipe all on his own. He waited outside in the dark for the grocery store to open. He made two loaves of zucchini bread, quietly and in the dark, so as not to wake anyone. Sure enough, I woke up to fresh zucchini bread, and it is delicious.

On that note, I'm taking a bit of a blogging break. I've been feeling a little overextended lately. I won't be gone long, just long enough to clean some toilets, hopefully finish painting the living room, watch the rest of Season One of Weeds on dvd, and eat zucchini bread. I just need to relax for a few days and stop thinking so much. I really can't afford to lose anymore dinner plates.

I'll be back in this space probably towards the middle or end of next week. Before I go, I want to announce that next Monday and Tuesday I'll be a guest blogger over at Krafty Kash. I'm honored and thrilled that Kashoan would ask me to write a few words in her little spot on the internet while she's away on vacation, so please follow me over there. And if you haven't checked her out already, she's having an awesome fabric giveaway right now. Do pay her a visit.

24 comments:

Daphne said...

You are awesome. I've always wanted to break a dish during an argument (I hope that really happened). And you have an AMAZING husband. How awesome is that?? You're making me want zucchini bread. I might have to make some, myself.

Have a great break and find some time inbetween cleaning toilets and painting walls to have some fun and some time to yourself. :)

Tammie said...

ha ha...yeah, technically it was a melamine plate and i really didnt expect it to shatter as it did. it still felt good though.

heather said...

i was so nervous for you as i started reading... "on no, what's going to happen"... but dang if that didn't turn out to be the sweetest post ever.

hope you get your toilets clean.
i really need to clean some toilets too.
xoxo

Karen said...

When I'm in an especially rotten mood, I actually believe that my husband naps in order to piss me off even more. And I throw dishes (and bottles and assorted crockery) when I'm mad. It feels great even though it's probably a sign of a mood disorder.

Nowheymama said...

Have a good break. I hope we get to see living room pictures.

And reading that post, all I could think was, "They have FOUR toilets?! I'm jealous."

kraftykash said...

4 toliets is too many girl! Just block off one of those rooms, no one will know. :0) I had a day like that yesterday...so glad its over. That was nice of Jay to make you bread, what a sweet guy. Thanks for mentioning my giveaway and for guest blogging. Cant wait to read it!!

Tammie said...

heather: yeah, it ended well. fortunately my husband is used to me throwing plates every once in a while. :)

karen: i feel the same way. is it possible we need to be on medication?

nowhey: honestly, i hate those toilets. i highly recommend never having more than two.

kash: i totally agree. im thinking of blocking off two.

Mari said...

Have a nice rest! I'm not far behind you... ; )

Mari said...

I guess it's not really a rest, more of a break!

Sarah12730 said...

It's great that Jay realized he needed to step up and be awesome, but it seems he does that on a fairly regular basis. He should give classes to husbands or something.

I've never gotten a thrill out of breaking things. Probably because I'm the one who would have to clean it up. Instead, I sulk and plot retaliation. Which is indeed scarier to my husband. There have been times he's confessed to being afraid to go to sleep. I suppose that's my indication of a mood disorder.

Maria Rose said...

Wow, fresh bread first thing in the morning, that's really sweet.

Enjoy your time off!

BloomingAlmond said...

you don't even imagine how sad that made me... really.... You're very lucky to have a man by your side that does stuff like that... All I can think of right now is having to drive 6 milesduring the night, pregnant, in the rain, to get some pizza 'cause the man of the house wouldn't get his ass off the couch for me.... *sigh* oh man.... I want bread too.... see? now i'm jealous...... :)

Betts said...

You've got a gem of a husband. Enjoy your break (as in, time off and not dishes). Show us that living room when you get back.

Carla said...

I'm embarassed to admit that I threw a brush at a door and put a hole in it out of anger on one occassion! A little trickier to fix than cleaning up a dinner plate. Enjoy your time to relax and eat zucchini bread.

melissa s. said...

i have a tiny tear in my eye...not sure if it's from the sweet deed that your hubby done, or from laughing so hard at the description of your day (really, i'm laughing WITH you, not AT you!) Either way, you make me smile and I hope you're feeling better. And I hope you're off eating zucchini bread, smiling somewhere as well. happy blog break!

DysFUNctional Mom said...

What a very sweet hubby you have, if a little oblivious. lol He did a great job making up for it!
Enjoy your break.

jessieearthmomma said...

Throwing stuff always makes me feel better!

Tammie said...

wow. it seems like a lot of you can relate to how i was feeling-this post got quite a response. possibly i need to throw things more often.

sarah: jay says that yes he should definitely give classes to husbands. (i really need to knock him down a notch.;)

tania: aw. well at least you were smart enough to get out when you did. and after reading your comment, jay says your ex sounds like a douche.

carla: you are my new idol. i smashed a hole in the wall with a can of hairspray once. i think together you and i would make quite a team. ha

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh now I am hankering for Zucchini Bread. Could Jay come over and have it ready for me tomorrow for breakfast?

Now if Jay really wanted to sweet talk you he'd make all the toilets sparkeling clean!

Have a wonderful time off.

beki said...

Boy, it sure sounds like you've got a keeper :)

Dani said...

Must be something in the air. I will miss you and your wit. I look forward to your return. Relax. And I am glad you didn't have to wake to the smell of farts.

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

WOW. Can your Jay talk to my J? I don't even want him to bake zucchini bread all secretly in the early morning. Something out of the box would be great without burning down the house. But he does clean toilets. Swap? (Just for the toilet cleaning and baking, of course.)

beck said...

Boy can I relate to this post. You really covered it well - the whole thing from fed up to farts to fresh zucchini bread. I'm glad your fella redeemed himself because i was getting ready to throw one of my plates..all the way from Australia. Hope your break is relaxing and that you get to do a whole lot of nothing xo ps thanks for lovely comments on my blog!

hester said...

Wow - this post did hit the mark! I was going to comment yesterday but ran out of time and now it's exploded with comments. I have fantasies about throwing plates so I'm a bit impressed. Last thing I threw was the dustpan and brush and it wasn't very satisfying.

Jay - you're a star!