Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Definite Success

The boy came into the kitchen when I was prepping the ingredients for the Chocolate Avocado Pie. When he asked me what I was making I replied simply, "chocolate pie."

Then he saw my plate of mashed avocado and looked at me with disgust and snarled, "Why are you ruining it?"

That's when I had to tell him to get the hell out of my kitchen.

Two hours later, after it had cooled and set, he declared it one of the best chocolate pies he's ever eaten.

A few notes on the recipe:

*You can't taste the avocado. I swear.

*The original recipe calls for you to cover the bottom of the pie crust with raspberries. I left those out. My daughter doesn't like a lot of "stuff" in her food and I knew once she saw the berries she'd have no interest in trying the pie. Plus, I was already sneaking avocado into her diet, let's not push it.

*This would be super easy to make vegan, if you were so inclined. Trade the skim milk for soy milk and get your hands on whatever vegan chocolate chip substitute you prefer and Voila it's a vegan pie.

*I'm wondering what it would taste like with a graham cracker crust. I'm betting delicious.

*The recipe says it makes four servings. I say it makes way more. Because of the richness of it, I was pretty full after eating just a sliver.

All in all, I think this is a really awesome pie recipe that I'd love to play around with a bit more to see what variations I can come up with.

14 comments:

Dani said...

I am all over that pie. If anything, just to say I made a chocolate-avocado pie.

Thanks for taking the first plunge.

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

I love making chocolate pie (with meringue) but I may have to make this chocolate avocado pie to sneak veggies into my husband's diet. Though I am sure he will ask me not to as chocolate pie is his favorite.

heather said...

oh yeah... i'm making this.

kraftykash said...

I love it when you try it on your family 1st! I just might have to make this. You really & truly dont taste the avacados?

Aleta said...

Did you say avocado? Now, I love avocado. I can eat it straight, nothing else. But ehhhh, with chocolate? Oh heavens. OK, I'll have to give it a whirl...

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Mmmm, I love chocoate and avocado. I wouldn't have thought of them together but know I'll have to make this pie.

Carla said...

I love chocolate pie and one like this would be much easier to justify. Not that I need to justify chocolate anything....

Maria Rose said...

You know I love to vegainze! I bet that avocado made it so creamy!

Tammie said...

dani: i know! i want to make more and give them to people just to amaze them.

kash: i swear. everyone in my family is shocked. especially the men folk.

heather: this is definitely right up your alley.

maria rose: its very, very good.

Nowheymama said...

That is a good looking pie.

Karen said...

My policy is never to mention whatever vegetables are hiding in the food. I think this pie is going on the to do list, definitely with a graham cracker crust.

(PS I keep meaning to congratulate you on ONLY spending $40 on cheese at Whole Foods.)

melissa s. said...

yum. this definitely beats my chocolate beet cake and black bean brownies!

Daphne said...

Um, okay. I really have to try this. We love avocadoes and we love chocolate. I just won't mention what is going into it.

Betts said...

Great! And I'm trying to lose weight!