Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Why I Blog: A Survey

I found this survey on Daphne's blog. I loved it, so I stole it. I think it answers some of those questions that otherwise would never get covered.

1. How long have you been blogging?
Altogether, since May of 2006 but I've only had the Blogger space since February of 2008.

2. Why did you start blogging?
I originally started blogging on Myspace just as a way to keep faraway friends updated on my life. For me though, the Myspace blog grew stagnant. One reason being that Myspace was always experiencing technical problems whenever I wanted to blog. The main reason though was that it was hard to meet people I had things in common with. The only people who were reading my blog were folks that already knew me, and they weren't always interested in reading about every tiny aspect of my life. There was no way for someone to just stumble upon my blog, the way there is now. I really wanted to branch out and expose myself to a lot of people, not just those with Myspace accounts.

3. What have you found to be the benefits of blogging?
I've made the acquaintance of many totally awesome women who inspire me, challenge me, motivate me, make me laugh, and make me cry. A handful of these women I'm lucky enough to consider my friends. I have a hard time making friends in real life. I'm quiet and not usually the one to initiate conversations. But bloggers give you a small glimpse into their life and personality, so it's easy to quickly find people you'd hit it off with.

Also, I feel as if blogging has done a lot for me mentally. Being a mom can drain your brain sometimes, especially if you don't work outside the home. Although my blog is mostly for fun, I take it pretty seriously and require myself to update it regularly. It's gotten to the point that if I don't blog for a few days, I begin to feel the itch.

4. How many times a week do you post an entry?
Whenever the mood strikes me. Usually about four times a week.

5. How many different blogs do you read on a regular basis?
I follow close to 100 blogs. I regularly read maybe 20..

6. Do you comment on other people’s blogs?
Not all the time, but I do try to comment on my regulars. But sometimes there just isn't anything to say.

7. Do you keep track of how many visitors you have?
Yep. I love my stat counter. It indulges my nerdy, analytical side.

8. Do you ever regret a post that you wrote?
No, but some of the early posts are silly and poorly written, which is embarrassing. But I don't delete them because I think, if anything, they show how I've improved. I feel like within the last six to nine months I've really found my *voice.*

9. Do you think your audience has a true sense of who you are based on your blog?
Hmmm....this is an interesting one. I honestly don't know. I would like to think that I'm an open book and I don't really sugar coat my life, but I think that I hold back from showing the more sarcastic side of my personality. When I write a particularly sarcastic post, I worry that it comes off as negative and I try not to do that too often.

10. Do you blog under your real name?
Yep.

11. Are there topics that you would never blog about?
Sure, and mainly they involve my kids. I really don't want this blog to ever embarrass them so I keep large portions of their lives private.

12. What is the theme/topic of your blog?
It's all about me, me, me. And those around me.

13. Do you have more than one blog? If so, why?
No way. I don't have that kinda time.

8 comments:

Daphne said...

I'm happy that you found me, so that I could find you! Love you and your blog. :)

Nowheymama said...

I like this survey!

kraftykash said...

This is great stuff Tammie. Im proud to say I consider you a friend, thanks to blogging! I might try this survey myself. As you can tell from my blog, I dont have alot going on right now. :) Thanks for sharing this with us!

Aleta said...

Ohhh, I like this a lot. Mind if I borrow? Oh and sarcastic ~ write on. It's not negative, very often, it's hilarious. And.... I never would have thought you were the quiet type!

Tammie said...

daphne: love you too! :)

nowhey: thanks...it was fun.

aleta: yeah, i dont like talking too much unless im sure i have something important to say.
and of course...feel free to borrow...its a fun one.

melissa s. said...

i hear ya on the mom brain drain thing! i adore your blog and the sarcastic posts are my fave ;-)

Dani said...

I might steal this. I feel that I am entitled as one of your "regulars". So glad I found you!

Betts said...

Great survey. I might have to borrow it too.