Monday, June 15, 2009

Perfect

My image doesn't show up in this space too often. I don't like to have my picture taken. When I know that a camera is pointed at me, I tense up. I'm not someone who smiles a lot to begin with, so the forced smiling that's done when a picture is about to be snapped is completely foreign to me. I once had a photographer tell me that I needed to learn to relax.

This is a topic Dawn and I have discussed numerous times in great detail because she feels the same way about most pictures taken of her. She's convinced most photos give her a crooked smile or a "weird lazy eye thing." Of course I think she's crazy and wrong, but I completely understand where she's coming from.

This past weekend we got to see Dawn and her family when they came to a neighboring town for her son's Little League game. (Note: Little League games, while exciting enough, are not nearly as thrilling as the Vampire Baseball scene in Twilight. Sorry Little Leaguers, it's a tough act to follow. Next time get Robert Pattinson and maybe I'll pay more attention.) While at the baseball field, Dawn and I decided we should get a few pictures taken of the two of us. Because of our shared aversion to being in pictures, I don't remember the last time we had one taken together. Maybe the ninth grade?
If I look at this picture long enough, I can find about a million things wrong with it. The sunlight in the back is harsh, my hair is flatter than I would like, why am I pushing my boobs out?, etc..... I'm sure Dawn feels the same way, although her sunglasses save her from the lazy eye issues which plague her.

I almost didn't post it because I didn't think it was "perfect." But then I got to thinking about how sad it would be if something were to happen to Dawn and I had no pictures of the two of us. I'm sure I would regret not having any photos to go along with memories. So there we are. Braving the humidity and 90+ degree heat with our crooked smiles, pushed out boobs, and flat hair. Honestly, I love it.

19 comments:

Dani said...

You ladies look grand. I did not see flat hair...I actually like hair on the flatter vs. poofier side. I didn't notice overt boob pushing, so no worries.

I don't think I take a very good picture either. Whenever I post one of myself I can assure you that there have been about 20 taken and that's the best. My favorite self portraits are goofy and candid.

Oh, and I got Twilight (the book) this weekend so I would know what all the hub-bub is about.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying not to overanalyze the picture. But it is nice to have an updated one of us! I especially like the gorgeous Robert Pattinson picture you linked. And I think my hair was flat due to all the Jonathan Dirt I plastered in my hair at Sephora. I couldn't wait to wash it.

Maria Rose said...

Oh yeah, perfection is unattainable. I am plagued with a certain cross-eyed quality in photos, but what can you do?

Dawn said...

"Anonymous" is "me". I had some technical difficulties.

Tammie said...

dani: well thank you! and it's funny because i think all the pics on your blog are so cute. i wouldnt have guessed you have a bunch of rough outtakes.
i like the flatter hair too but sometimes i think in an attempt to tame the poofiness, i use too much product and flatten it too much.
i hope you like twilight. you won't get any smarter reading it, but its a fun read.

dawn: i knew it was you. and i picked that rp picture just for you! i thought your hair was fine, but i looked slightly like a boy. its a good thing i was pushing my boobs out!

maria rose: youre right. honestly if i waited to get a perfect photo, none would exist.

Mari said...

You guys look great! I, however, cannot look good in a picture unless it is taken surreptitiously.
But I can spell. and no one can take that away from me, no matter how many bad pictures I am in!

One time I videotaped my mother, grandmother and aunt in a row, as they all whirled around and hid. I turned to my siblings and said, "Oh, that's where we got it from!".

Nowheymama said...

Good for you!

Tammie said...

mari: honestly, im the same way. there have been numerous times i wanted to update my profile pic for blogger so i take a bunch of pictures and end up hating them all.
it really takes great self control to not hit delete and send this picture into oblivion.

Mari said...

It truly is a nice pic! We would tell you if it wasn't!

Daphne said...

It's a very cute picture. I hate having my picture taken too. But that reminds me... my best friend is coming next weekend and we could use an updated photo, ourselves! It's our 20th year anniversary of being best friends!

kraftykash said...

You are way to hard on yourself! I say this just before Im about to blog and have looked through a TON of pics of me and cant decide which one to use. :)
Thats great that you and Dawn got to hang out. Having a friend at the game makes them go much faster!!

Twilight ball games are much better.

Shalet said...

Oh schnikes. You should both place yourselves in FRONT of the camera post haste. You are both gorgeous and 100% perfect as is.

Layrayski said...

I understand about where you're coming from because most of the time I'd rather be behind the camera than in front. Of course there are times when the ol' self confidence/vanity surfaces and the need for my picture overcomes me but they are rare. Most of the time I don't like my pictures but if they like it I just believe them and post them in public anyway. I guess we are too harsh on ourselves. By the way I think I'd make a bad fashion photographer because my criterion for a good photography is just genuine smile and other interesting emotions caught on digital film. Most of the time I don't see the stomach bulge (common prob), and flabby arms (another big thing) but I'm now learning to avoid taking pictures of them hehe

hester said...

You both look great (and, my god, SO young!). And it's a happy photo and that's the best thing of all.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I was wondering if you might be willing to mention my raffle/fundraiser. I would NOT ask if it wasn't for a great cause. Plus, there are over 90 donated prizes to win totaling over $3000.00! And who doesn't like to win??

It's really a win-win for everyone. People get to help me meet my fundraising goal AND potentionally win big.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE clickover and enter my raffle!! You can truly win TONS OF PRIZES (totaling over $3000.00 - gift cards, Starbucks coffee maker, $600 in camping equipment, gorgeous jewelry and more!).

It's for a great cause….

http://www.firstgiving.com/hallietwomey

6 years ago my Dad received a new heart.

This is my way of giving back.
Hallie
http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/

Crystal said...

You look great. Really.

I always think my chin grows three sizes in pictures. Why do our body parts revolt on us on pics? Why can't our waists look smaller or our boobs suddenly grow three sizes?

Robert P is so HAWT.

CT said...

LOL@Crystal: I always wish MY boobs would look smaller in the photos... but I'm never content with any of the photos that are taken of me... except my wedding day pics and some other candid ones... Relaxation must be the key, but I'd rather be BEHIND the lens!t

Betts said...

I hate photos of me too. I've got a crooked smile and a double chin. What happened to us to make us hate images of ourselves so much? I think you look great!

Tammie said...

you all are doing wonders for our self esteem. thank you everyone!

crystal: yes. definitely HAWT!

lyra: i know. i have those self confident moments too, but not often.